Buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mowinman29

Buck bedding

Unread postby mowinman29 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Looking for advice on how to go about a big buck I have found over a mineral site , I’m not real familiar with the land as far as boots on the ground scouting it all, I’m gettin daylight pictures of him most are around 10:30 am to 12:00; should I go in maybe on a rainy day and try to locate his bed or beds then back out until season opens , Where I didn’t do no post season scouting as far as looking for beds in this area , what do I do now ?,,I know he’s in the area , what do ya do when ya get to this point? I’m in steep mountain area , look at a topo then go in and confirm the bedding area? Or stay out ...Thanks

street28ss

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:18 am

Can you glass him from the adjacent ridge? Or is it thick timber?
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:26 am

I like to go in and get information, regardless of the time of year.

Magic made a relevant post on the In-Season scouting thread, take a look on page 4. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46266&start=45
mowinman29

Unread postby mowinman29 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 am

To thick to do any glassing ,
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Gather as much evidence as you can before going in. You may be able to really narrow it down with what you can observe. Look for his direction of travel coming and going, wind direction when you see him, ect. Based on buck bedding behavior you should be able to really arrow it down to a small area. Good luck
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:36 pm

How close is your mineral to good bedding features? Being a guy who runs a lot of mineral u got a 75% chance of that buck relocating after velvet splits. Pics are fun and give u an idea of what's out there. If u get a pic in daylight once he's hard antlered u got something! Until then don't get your hopes up IMHO.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mowinman29

Unread postby mowinman29 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 pm

My mineral site in on a ridge , it’s been there 3 years now , I put up a plot watcher and got two videos of this buck crossing a creek and coming up a Hollow to the minerals, good bedding ground is on other side of the creek I think on the other ridge , I just haven’t ever been in there , last year I watched a nice but on this mineral site when he shed velvet he was gone , I found him about a mile or so away ,I’m hoping this buck with relocate to this area to , I have a cell camera in this area hoping to see if he shows up , it sure something how when velvet sheds they relocate seems like , I have a hard time finding them once the velvet sheds
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 am

mowinman29 wrote:My mineral site in on a ridge , it’s been there 3 years now , I put up a plot watcher and got two videos of this buck crossing a creek and coming up a Hollow to the minerals, good bedding ground is on other side of the creek I think on the other ridge , I just haven’t ever been in there , last year I watched a nice but on this mineral site when he shed velvet he was gone , I found him about a mile or so away ,I’m hoping this buck with relocate to this area to , I have a cell camera in this area hoping to see if he shows up , it sure something how when velvet sheds they relocate seems like , I have a hard time finding them once the velvet sheds

When is you opening day? I would stay out depending on the date, you have a decent idea about bedding and the direction of travel so no reason to apply more pressure. See if you can't slip in there and intercept him near the creek. How often are you checking cams now? You could also slip in opening day and check the cams to see if he has been around and form a plan from there. Lots of changes happening in the woods the next few weeks so you need the latest and greatest intel. This time of year the lower pressure the better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”