Best fletching glue

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

Best fletching glue

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:31 am

Every year right around October 30th, my feathers tend to fall off of the shaft. This really hurts me for rut hunting, because now I have to set a full day aside to glue more arrows.

I tried cleaning with 96% alcohol on the shaft, then I tried it on both the feathers and the shaft, then I tried acetone on both the feather and the shaft. Nothing seems to work. So, I think it could be my glue.

I'm currently using fletch tite, and I'd like to switch to something else. What have you folks noticed to be the best glue for 5" Turkey feathers and aluminum shafts?

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Kybar

Re: Best fletching glue

Unread postby Kybar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:38 am

It's been awhile since I've fletched aluminum, but I've always had good luck with Fletch Tite Platinum...my mentor always told me there was a difference between that and the regular stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Bohning-Platinum-Fletch-Tite-4oz/dp/B000QGKHA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534865773&sr=8-1&keywords=fletch+tite+platinum

For carbon shafts, I use AAE's Fastset Gel...it's like a super glue gel, but it doesn't set up immediately like liquid super glue. I haven't lost any vanes since I started using it. I will say though, that I still always add a small drop of FT Platinum to the ends of each vane...I think it helps keep them from pulling up over time.

https://www.amazon.com/AAE-Fastset-Nock-Vane-Adhesive/dp/B0000CCYMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534865984&sr=8-1&keywords=aae+fastset+gel
Last edited by Kybar on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 am

Blue loctite gel super glue. Thousands of arrows throw a wisker biscuit and never lost a fletch. Gorilla gel super glue also works. Blue loctite has been the best for me for years though on my personal arrows and the dozen and dozens of arrows I’ve made for friends and family.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:57 am

For me I like fletch tite platinum. Not really due to the glue, I think any super glue will do a good job. I just like the head of the lock tite best makes it easy to get a consistent bead. Glues with a big opening tend to cause me to make a mess.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:07 am

Bowhuntercoop wrote:Blue loctite gel super glue. Thousands of arrows throw a wisker biscuit and never lost a fletch. Gorilla gel super glue also works. Blue loctite has been the best for me for years though on my personal arrows and the dozen and dozens of arrows I’ve made for friends and family.

X2

That's exactly what I use for my carbon crossbow arrows. After squaring the ends of the arrow I prep the fletching contact area with a green scrungie and wipe down with acetone. Acetone will remove the silk screened info on the arrows as well.

I tested it when I first started using it on a set of 4" Duravanes. After 24 hours of drying time I put the fletching in water completely submerged for a week. On the seventh day I pulled the test arrow out of the water and tried to pull the vanes off with a pair of pliers. The fletching remained solidly attached to the arrow and the pliers took square chunks out of the Duravanes.

The Loctite superglue gel also works well on my crested arrows. I put a white crest on my arrows with Rustoleum white lacquer spray paint and a little fluorescent green spray paint to match my Bhoning Blazers.

Doing this makes my arrows easier to find and it is easier to read and interpret the blood on a white background.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 am

Loctite 404. Sets fast but it’s not like a race to get a vane attached. Faster process if you’re only using one fletcher. I’ve never had an insert pull using it for those either.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:00 am

I use Fletch time Platinum and never had any issues on carbon or aluminum. I rough up the shafts slightly with very fine sandpaper, wipe them clean, dip them in denatured alcohol and then let them air dry before fletching. Never touch the end you want to fletch with your bare hands. The oils in your skin will no doubt affect how well your vanes or feathers stick to the shaft. It’s all about proper preparation. Also throw out your old fletching glue every season and buy a new tube since old glue will not hold nearly as good anymore. I have been shooting a Whisker Biscuit for many years and never lost a fletching.
hokiehunter06

Unread postby hokiehunter06 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:18 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Bowhuntercoop wrote:Blue loctite gel super glue. Thousands of arrows throw a wisker biscuit and never lost a fletch. Gorilla gel super glue also works. Blue loctite has been the best for me for years though on my personal arrows and the dozen and dozens of arrows I’ve made for friends and family.

X2

That's exactly what I use for my carbon crossbow arrows. After squaring the ends of the arrow I prep the fletching contact area with a green scrungie and wipe down with acetone. Acetone will remove the silk screened info on the arrows as well.

I tested it when I first started using it on a set of 4" Duravanes. After 24 hours of drying time I put the fletching in water completely submerged for a week. On the seventh day I pulled the test arrow out of the water and tried to pull the vanes off with a pair of pliers. The fletching remained solidly attached to the arrow and the pliers took square chunks out of the Duravanes.

The Loctite superglue gel also works well on my crested arrows. I put a white crest on my arrows with Rustoleum white lacquer spray paint and a little fluorescent green spray paint to match my Bhoning Blazers.

Doing this makes my arrows easier to find and it is easier to read and interpret the blood on a white background.

Bob

X3
I have used Loctite Super Glue Gel in the small blue bottles for close to 10 years. Good stuff that holds well. Also it only takes about 2 minutes for them to set, but then 24 hours to wait before shooting or pulling hard on them.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 am

Have you tried arrow wraps?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am

Fletch Tite Platinum
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am

I have been having great luck with AAE products that are made to be used in conjunction with each other.

AAE Max Hunter vanes
OR
AAE Pro Max vanes
OR
AAE Max Stealth vanes

Wipe shaft with AAE Max Clean wipe, prime vanes with AAE Max primer pen, use AAE Max Bond fast set glue (less is more on the glue). Once the glue is cured, you can grap vanes with pliers and the vane will tear before you pull it off.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Josh_S wrote:Have you tried arrow wraps?

I have never tried them.

Lacquer is cheaper and lighter. With a crossbow FOC is very important so I want to keep the weight at the back of the arrow to a minimum. My FOC runs around 28 IIRC. I have been shooting the same setup for a dozen years or so.

It is nothing fancy. I just tape them off where I want the cresting and spray. Flechtight will not work with the laquer cresting. It reacts with it for some reason.

Bob

Below is a picture of my setup. I have since switched from the 5" feathers to Bhoning Blazers.

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Another vote for Loctite gel. And something else not mentioned yet......your adhesion issue might have something to do with your fletcher. If not adjusted correctly, the base of the feather may not be laying perfectly flat on the shaft.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 pm

I have used fastset gel from AAE for years and it has been great. No issues.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 am

Thanks for the responses! The kind of glue I was using is the fletch tite Platinum. Maybe I'm doing something wrong..
My process is to use either the green scuff pad or 600 grit sandpaper to clean the shaft, then I take a new, clean rag and wipe down the shaft with acetone. Then I wipe down the feather with acetone, never touching the part of the shaft that gets the feather with my fingers. I run a bead of glue down the feather, then stick it on the Shelf. I wait 30 to 45 minutes, then I do another feather.

To me, I don't feel there's anything wrong with my system, which means the blues the problem. If you guys see anything wrong with my system, please notify me.

As it looks right now, I'll be switching to either AAE or Loctite. The only thing that worries me, is it seems you guys are using vanes and carbon shafts. Not feathers with aluminum. Do you think there would be a difference?
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”