WI extends archery season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

WI extends archery season

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 am

Jonny
500 Club

Re: WI extends archery season

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:04 am

Oh baby. Might have to take advantage of this. Put my iwom to good use

Did you notice the forest zone boundaries got changed?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:07 am

Hmmmm... as your neighbor I may have to investigate this further lol.

Emrah
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 am

Jonny wrote:Oh baby. Might have to take advantage of this. Put my iwom to good use

Did you notice the forest zone boundaries got changed?

No I didn't notice.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 am

Yeah. :cry:
More mature shed bucks getting shot.
Messed up.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 am

I also heard rumors that the DNR is possibly backing off on the 5 pc rule when removing a deer from the field. Possibly allowing hunters to bone them out and leave everything except for the edible meat you pack out.

Really surprised they are considering that since the focus seems to be on CWD again and leaving bones on the landscape goes against that plan.

I’m all for allowing boneing out deer and packing them out. Western guys think were nuts being required to pack everything out except the guts.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:11 am

Dewey wrote:I also heard rumors that the DNR is possibly backing off on the 5 pc rule when removing a deer from the field. Possibly allowing hunters to bone them out and leave everything except for the edible meat you pack out.

Really surprised they are considering that since the focus seems to be on CWD again and leaving bones on the landscape goes against that plan.

I’m all for allowing boneing out deer and packing them out. Western guys think were nuts being required to pack everything out except the guts.

I hope they do it. Going back in for the bones seems crazy to me.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:13 am

Dewey wrote:I also heard rumors that the DNR is possibly backing off on the 5 pc rule when removing a deer from the field. Possibly allowing hunters to bone them out and leave everything except for the edible meat you pack out.

That would be awesome. Logging companies litter tree tops all over the place on the public,,,, that's not natural yet its ok with the DNR, yet a few bones are considered litter????? Makes no sense.

A couple years ago I quartered a deer and left some of the bones (to pick up on a later date) , 10 days later went out to the kill site and everything was GONE.

Better turn me in for littering .. :roll:

And for poaching since I didn't obey the law too a T
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:33 pm

john1984 wrote:

That would be awesome. Logging companies litter tree tops all over the place on the public,,,, that's not natural yet its ok with the DNR, yet a few bones are considered litter????? Makes no sense.

A couple years ago I quartered a deer and left some of the bones (to pick up on a later date) , 10 days later went out to the kill site and everything was GONE.

Better turn me in for littering .. :roll:

And for poaching since I didn't obey the law too a T

I’m amazed how fast bones disappear. My only worry is some slobs will do it near parking areas and leave everything out in the open. Bad enough so many already just dump boned out carcasses in public parking lots after processing the deer themselves. People need to be more considerate about how they leave things for others. It’s not hard to dispose of that stuff where nobody will see it. I wouldn’t even be against burying the bones to keep them out of sight.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Really surprised Wisconsin is extending archery season. There Xbow numbers raised some serious concerns throughout the bow hunting community. Was talk of shortening the season due to technology replacing the difficulty and skewing the numbers. Most seasons are set for the difficulty it takes, my concern is one day we will end up with just one season where anything goes.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Really surprised Wisconsin is extending archery season. There Xbow numbers raised some serious concerns throughout the bow hunting community. Was talk of shortening the season due to technology replacing the difficulty and skewing the numbers. Most seasons are set for the difficulty it takes, my concern is one day we will end up with just one season where anything goes.

I appears to only be in units where the deer herd is way above goal. We have already had Metro Unit hunts until January 31st for years.

I’m actually really surprised Waupaca county isn’t included. Wasn’t too long ago that they were talking about doe only because the population was so high.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Really surprised Wisconsin is extending archery season. There Xbow numbers raised some serious concerns throughout the bow hunting community. Was talk of shortening the season due to technology replacing the difficulty and skewing the numbers. Most seasons are set for the difficulty it takes, my concern is one day we will end up with just one season where anything goes.

I appears to only be in units where the deer herd is way above goal. We have already had Metro Unit hunts until January 31st for years.

I’m actually really surprised Waupaca county isn’t included. Wasn’t too long ago that they were talking about doe only because the population was so high.

Makes sense then.. Is there any reason why these areas have higher numbers than others? I hunt a low deer area and believe it's due to it never had native deer and the majority of these are stocked. Both blessing and curse I guess. Just always fascinates me how other states function cause Tx is strictly driven by dollars.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Makes sense then.. Is there any reason why these areas have higher numbers than others? I hunt a low deer area and believe it's due to it never had native deer and the majority of these are stocked. Both blessing and curse I guess. Just always fascinates me how other states function cause Tx is strictly driven by dollars.

Better habitat and large percentage of land being private would be my guess. This tends to really spike the deer herd.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:41 pm

They should be opening the season earlier, not extending it later. Lots of bucks get shot as does in January because they already shed. and there is a real lack of participation at that time frame. Opening bow season Sept. 1st or earlier would allow hunting for velvet bucks and would allow hunters to get in on summer patterns. I think there main concern is killing does, but they are not killing much of anything in the winter time frame cause people are not hunting and those that do, kill a lot of bucks without antlers. When we had the holiday hunts it was estimated that 11% of the antlerless deer registered were actually shed bucks. That hunt is in December. Expect that percentage to go up in January.

Last year we could not even buy a doe tag for public. Not enough deer they said. Now they bring back the holiday hunt, ruin my late season, and extend us a month cause we couldn't kill enough does... I got news for them, they still don't have enough deer. I tried to get on the advisory board after a local Biologist recommended me and that was shot down right away because of my views of management... They hand pick those guys to get guys that will go along with there agenda of nocking the population down to what they want, rather than what the residents want.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Dewey wrote:

They were talking about extending the season for Waupaca county last year and there was very strong opposition from the snowmobiler's clubs and a few other groups. Many landowners only give permission for using/grooming trails after the hunting season is done. I suspect the opposition was the same this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”