Mountain lion goes after bowhunter in utah

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Mountain lion goes after bowhunter in utah

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 am

Cats are no joke! That's why i gave them the nod as The Top Predator,
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45397
Glad these guys were ok.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 am

No cats here but ive heard stories of coyote packs stalking hunters on way out at night
Its why im going to be very soon buying a very small pistola for hairy situations that call for drastic actions
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:19 am

These stories irritate me a lot. Just because a lion attacks a person, it should be killed? Same with bears. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hunting predators, but if you aren't prepared for the wild, don't go in the wilderness.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 pm

street28ss wrote:These stories irritate me a lot. Just because a lion attacks a person, it should be killed? Same with bears. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hunting predators, but if you aren't prepared for the wild, don't go in the wilderness.

That's what we call "mob control" by the government. If the "authorities" don't respond, then homeowners and tourists get upset. I mean afterall, that mountain lion wronged someone by attacking them! Nevermind that the person was in the lion's territory. Justice must be meted out, otherwise the world feels wrong to all the sheltered naive morons.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

I think it's more that once a predator has success with humans they are then more comfortable going after them once they lose that fear factor. It's the learned behavior thing. People in Utah and those regions of the country are hugely into hiking and there are trails everywhere for that so it probably makes sense in many cases. There are plenty things that bother me more
Make It Happen
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm

street28ss wrote:These stories irritate me a lot. Just because a lion attacks a person, it should be killed? Same with bears. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hunting predators, but if you aren't prepared for the wild, don't go in the wilderness.

I agree. Well said
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Swampbuck wrote:I think it's more that once a predator has success with humans they are then more comfortable going after them once they lose that fear factor. It's the learned behavior thing. People in Utah and those regions of the country are hugely into hiking and there are trails everywhere for that so it probably makes sense in many cases. There are plenty things that bother me more

If you are hiking and not prepared then you should be a victim of natural selection. There is no such thing as learned behavior. A lion will kill what it needs to survive regardless of the prey.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 am

street28ss wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I think it's more that once a predator has success with humans they are then more comfortable going after them once they lose that fear factor. It's the learned behavior thing. People in Utah and those regions of the country are hugely into hiking and there are trails everywhere for that so it probably makes sense in many cases. There are plenty things that bother me more

If you are hiking and not prepared then you should be a victim of natural selection. There is no such thing as learned behavior. A lion will kill what it needs to survive regardless of the prey.

I dont feel strongly about what they do one way or other honestly so wouldnt argue it. Your wrong however, about there being no such thing as learned hehavior. My dog is good example, so is an old buck living year after year. Whether it affects a predators choices to go after man I dont know at all. In alaska they dont want people feeding bears cause once they learn to come to houses they continue to and it increases interaction and attack potential. in undeveloped countries there have been many cases of a tiger eating a human and then continuing to kill people in the village until its killed, while other tigers stay away. Thats learned hehavior to a T. Like I said a one off attack from a predator may not have an impact, I have no clue. But kids and women go hiking so i really dont have much issue with them doing this one way or the other. Predators are hunted by hunters, so one getting taken out just in case isnt a big deal to me. But I get your point, it just doesnt bother me since it's pretty low impact
Make It Happen
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 am

[/quote]I dont feel strongly about what they do one way or other honestly so wouldnt argue it. Your wrong however, about there being no such thing as learned hehavior. My dog is good example, so is an old buck living year after year. Whether it affects a predators choices to go after man I dont know at all. In alaska they dont want people feeding bears cause once they learn to come to houses they continue to and it increases interaction and attack potential. in undeveloped countries there have been many cases of a tiger eating a human and then continuing to kill people in the village until its killed, while other tigers stay away. Thats learned hehavior to a T. Like I said a one off attack from a predator may not have an impact, I have no clue. But kids and women go hiking so i really dont have much issue with them doing this one way or the other. Predators are hunted by hunters, so one getting taken out just in case isnt a big deal to me. But I get your point, it just doesnt bother me since it's pretty low impact[/quote]

I'm with you Swampbuck. But I think they see it as a oppurtunity first. When it becomes a learned behavior it takes on a deadly pattern.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:27 am

Wow! Glad those dudes are okay, and hope I dont run in to a big cat here in minnesota! I do enough worrying about the wolves. :shock:
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 am

Give me more predators in the woods and less ticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”