Camo branches

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: Camo branches

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:09 am

Aaronmach1 wrote:i never hunt over 15 ft high. Also i beleive the guys that hunt without concealment are being spotted and deer are avoiding them before they even know it.

Concealment, beyond good camo, is not necessary.....even in Michigan. Didn't use anything more than camo to shoot the buck in my avatar on MI public, and the 125 I got a shot at last fall on public.....only camo.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 pm

When being in a tree looking like a lollipop is my only option il take that any day over ground hunting and I’ve killed some good mature deer this way. The hunter feels more secure and stealth if he is covered but that Deer does not know what he is looking at until you confirm to him you are danger by moving. I do agree if they weren’t looking at you in the first place it’s not as much an issue but I like being elevated even if it means no good cover.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 pm

I pick out trees with multi trunks are branches if I can.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 am

I use back cover to break up my shape. I love finding small hemlocks growing in white white oak patches. I have about 5 spots like this. And killed my doe and buck last season in these setups. I climb just over the smaller trees and set my platform base there. I shot both of them at 10 yards.
Extreme Effort Only
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pm

My permanent stands sometimes have branches or camo netting when required because of my silhouette.

When picking a kill tree on public, I try and pick one that doesn’t silhouette against the sky. If that can’t be avoided, then I simply hang my mobile set on the backside of the tree or just hunt it anyway.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:
Ack wrote:I've used branches with pre-hung stands on private, but not on the public. With trees, the right location and height are most important, then cover.

And while many don't think camo is important, I feel on high pressure deer a good open pattern camo will fool their eyes enough to keep you from getting busted, even if there is no cover.

X2, worry less about blending in and more about breaking up the human form.

x 3, Ack knows pressure. And just stick your bow in front of your face, that is what I used to do, so they cant see you blink
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:56 pm

I have used fake leaf bouquets. You can buy them st a craft store....I just attached the leaves to the stand and I felt like it helped. I haven't done it in years and haven't really noticed the difference if I do or don't use them

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”