Appalachian mtn observation sits.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bud TN

Appalachian mtn observation sits.

Unread postby Bud TN » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:10 am

As I learn and implement more beast style tactics, I still struggle with how to work in odservation sits as a scouting tactic here in the Appalachian mountains. I have found beds travel routes, but there are no fields or places I can stay far enough away from to fit in a observation sit that would be effective. Spot lighting from the road is not allowed nor would it really tell you anything if you could mostly because it's so thick.

What are your observation sit strategies for areas where sitting back would not work?
Do you sacrifice potential hunting stands for observation sits?
Or
Just plan out your season to hunt based on your early scouting and do the best with what you found?

Thank you all for any feedback!

bud

lungpuncher1

Re: Appalachian mtn observation sits.

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:21 am

Just a thought but could you watch any large clearcuts? Old clear cuts? Just watch the long edges of a large one.

I know your struggle as I hunt tennessee mountains also. I do have a FEW fields that I can watch though.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:30 am

I feel your pain. I'm an Appalachian American myself :lol:
The mountains don't offer many long sight lines, but I have found one area to be ideal for observation stands. Power lines. Power lines are key features in the mountains as they offer bedding, food, crossings, long sight lines, edges, and a lot of opportunity. I like to walk the edges of these and find the entrance/exit trails. Set up at a good vantage point and wait for the parade. Just don't hang your stand on the towers :lol:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:40 am

Why do you feel the need to do an observation sit? Don't try to force something just because you see other guys doing it. Like, don't try to force Midwestern tactics in the mountains...it just isn't the same. If you can find a situation where it works, go for it. If I'm unsure of the quality of deer in an area or if I'm just curious, I use trail cameras. That's about the least intrusive way to figure out what size bucks you're working with
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 am

RidgeGhost wrote:Why do you feel the need to do an observation sit? Don't try to force something just because you see other guys doing it. Like, don't try to force Midwestern tactics in the mountains...it just isn't the same. If you can find a situation where it works, go for it. If I'm unsure of the quality of deer in an area or if I'm just curious, I use trail cameras. That's about the least intrusive way to figure out what size bucks you're working with

As you said I think I'm trying to force something that really doesn't fit. But it is reassuring to here I'm not the only one that has trouble in this tactic.

In theory it does sound great, but it's just not practical in many cases here in the mountains.

I use trail cameras and heavy down pour rains as my main method for verifying my suspicions. On a side note I also notice that I come across fewer snakes and yellow jackets in the rain too.

I do like the idea of and have a FEW power lines that might be of use for observation sits.

Thank you for the Great feedback so far!
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:24 am

In this type of terrain I would think post season scouting, trail cameras, shining in nearby open areas, and tracking in the snow would be far more effective scouting tools than observation sits. I would not choose where to hunt based on an observation sit in mountain terrain during green up where I could see very little...you just can't get close enough to see what you need to see, and close enough = too much pressure....trust your post season scouting....set up on hot sign near exit trails coming out of known bedding the DAY OF THE HUNT. Observation sits are only effective when done from a non-invasive distance.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Observation sits are not possible in all terrains. Big woods is one of them (typically). Knowledge of bedding is key. In season scouting is key. If this is early season, you can check certain spots for his big tracks without alarming him, and then assume he is bedding where you thought. Spots like... creek/river crossings, sandy logging roads, terrain pinches are good places to find his track. If you are rut hunting, in season scout to find the active doe areas is a great way to go in the big woods environment. This tactic is much more productive, in my experience, than is hunting terrain funnels in a big woods situation.

Take these thoughts with a grain of salt because I hunt Wisconsin big woods, not mountains like you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”