Learning from a damb.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbucks1234

Learning from a damb.

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

This afternoon as im hanging with my son "forkhorn" fishing. We ended up at the base of a damb drowning wax worms..... As i worked my way down the bank. It was informative to watch my line and bober react to the currents downstream. I hunt some hill country and this last year or so have really started to visualize the ravines that are there with the thermals the same as water flowing down stream. I think its easier to grasp this way, for me any way. Anyhow, my line and bobber depending exactly where they were positioned could go in opposite directions. All within a few feet of placement. Kinda cool seeing this first hand.

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: Learning from a damb.

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 pm

In a stream a lot of times water will hit an obstacle and swirl to form an eddy with back flow. When you think about it, this is sort of what is happening in the thermal tunnel. Prevailing wind meets rising thermals to create an "eddy" on the ridge.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Josh_S wrote:In a stream a lot of times water will hit an obstacle and swirl to form an eddy with back flow. When you think about it, this is sort of what is happening in the thermal tunnel. Prevailing wind meets rising thermals to create an "eddy" on the ridge.
Great point, as bowhunters it is our job to find that "eddy" which is the tough part. Unfortunately it's not nearly as noticeable as water flow. That's part of the game, gotta love it!!!!
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:28 pm

bigbucks1234 wrote:
Josh_S wrote:In a stream a lot of times water will hit an obstacle and swirl to form an eddy with back flow. When you think about it, this is sort of what is happening in the thermal tunnel. Prevailing wind meets rising thermals to create an "eddy" on the ridge.
Great point, as bowhunters it is our job to find that "eddy" which is the tough part. Unfortunately it's not nearly as noticeable as water flow. That's part of the game, gotta love it!!!!

and that's why milkweed is such a useful tool
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 am

Water and air will follow similar laws of fluid mechanics, and that eddy in hill country can actually vary day by day depending on various factors. Wind speed, foliage level, etc. using milkweed to fine tune your stand and find that perfect spot is the way to combat this!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am

Reminds me of a 40’ paint booth I wired this spring. Some paint booths are partially open on one end to get an even air flow end to end. However in a welding shop you can’t do that for fire reasons, so the doors were completely sealed.

The booth had air make up (supply) on one end and exhaust on the other. The 4’x4’ ducts were low on the walls and as close to the doors as possible. Supply side had fins to try and push the fumes down the length of the booth quickly.

We had a few smokers light cigarettes and it was crazy how much back draft we saw up by the ceiling on the supply end. There is a dead space up above the duct, and obviously air has to occupy that space.

Even though there was a 30 hp worth of electric motors with one pushing air and one pulling, nothing they did got rid of that back draft.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”