Ozonics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Ozonics

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:28 am

I know this thread is about Ozonics but I just had to comment on the cell cam stuff. Many right away view them as cheating and my belief is that completely is dependent on how they are used. If you set up a cell cam on a bed, get a pic of a bedded buck sent to you and then sneak in to kill him then yes that is a problem. I own one and use it just like any other cam basically just to take inventory like any other cam and the having convenience of not having to pull cards all the time especially went using out of state. I would never base my hunt for that day off a pic I just had texted to me especially when set up on a bed. That’s just not right and I see no challenge in that. Just like Ozonics everyone has to ask themselves if they are using the gadgets in a way that aligns with their own ethics. Unfortunately some do not have an ethics line and that is why we have hunting laws.

BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 am

Not worried too much about Ozonics, it is just an extremely expensive gimmick. What does concern me is the wireless technology, ie: cell cams and drones. Once you start allowing folks to use tools like these to supplement honest leg work, I take issue. I mean, fine, if it's legal, knock yourself out if you can live with taking such shortcuts to be successful, but like was said in a previous post.... a line has to be drawn somewhere. Wireless tech crosses it, Ozonics is flirting with it.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 am

Dewey wrote: Unfortunately some do not have an ethics line and that is why we have hunting laws.

The vast majority out there will always take advantage of it and abuse it. Sure, these tools can be great for honest, ethical folks, but they seem to be fewer and farther between each passing day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 am

BorealBushMN wrote:
Dewey wrote: Unfortunately some do not have an ethics line and that is why we have hunting laws.

The vast majority out there will always take advantage of it and abuse it. Sure, these tools can be great for honest, ethical folks, but they seem to be fewer and farther between each passing day.

I can’t disagree with that. These days everyone is looking for a shortcut. It’s a shame and I blame that on some of the guys making hunting shows these days. They make eveyone believe that killing a big buck is easy if you use the right gadgets. Nothing is further from the truth. What they don’t show or even mention is the 100’s of hours they spend to get that kill. So many new hunters have totally unrealistic expectations and if their not succesful fairly quickly they start looking for shortcuts.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:34 am

Dewey wrote:I know this thread is about Ozonics but I just had to comment on the cell cam stuff. Many right away view them as cheating and my belief is that completely is dependent on how they are used. If you set up a cell cam on a bed, get a pic of a bedded buck sent to you and then sneak in to kill him then yes that is a problem. I own one and use it just like any other cam basically just to take inventory like any other cam and the having convenience of not having to pull cards all the time especially went using out of state. I would never base my hunt for that day off a pic I just had texted to me especially when set up on a bed. That’s just not right and I see no challenge in that. Just like Ozonics everyone has to ask themselves if they are using the gadgets in a way that aligns with their own ethics. Unfortunately some do not have an ethics line and that is why we have hunting laws.

You must really enjoy hijacking.. :lol:
I'm with you 100%. Shooting a hand gun is okay, by shooting it at a person is not. The object itself is okay, it's how you use it.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:51 am

I dont think any of these things provide all that much of an advantage

Putting a cell cam in a bed and going in for the kill for example. Sure it sounds easy and like cheating. But I've never heard of it done.

Putting cams in buck beds usually doesnt work out so well. You either spook them going in or the cam does and they avoid that area. In practice I dont think it does a whole lot.

If ozonics truly mitigated a deer's nose yea it would seem to be cheating. But I dont think it does that. Arguably it doesnt even work at all.

It just seems like all these things that stir up arguments on what is crossing the line really dont move the line all that much so it really isnt that big of a deal. And if they are a big deal they usually will get banned pretty quickly.
Make It Happen
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:58 am

Just an amazon review I had to share for sake of the thread. Dan, this you? :lol:

"I read the reviews and decided to take a chance based on all of the positive feedback.Now that I have used the device over a dozen times, I've decided that I hate it and wasted my money to boot. I have been a deer hunter for over fifty years and have taken six pope and young deer and one Boone & Crockett so I do not consider myself as a novice. My hunting area is laid out so I frequently have issues with wind direction at my stand sites. I mistakenly thought that this device would help in those circumstances, NOT! I have followed the manufactures directions to the letter, wash my hunting clothing in scent free hunters laundry detergent, have treated all clothing with UV killer, bath with scent free soap, use scent free deodorant and scent free toothpaste before every outing. In the dozen or more times that I have gone out hunting, this device has failed miserably. I got so sick of the frustration of setting it up only to see the deer actually skirting my stand sites or not seeing any activity at all. Tonight's hunt finalized my use of this useless piece of junk. The air was still and I had gone thru all the normal cleanliness preparations prior to setting up my stand site on the ground. A small buck was approaching from my downwind side and when it got to about thirty yards, it stopped then bolted in the opposite direction. This unit is new and for what I paid for it, I would give it a ZERO rating if that was an option. Very disappointed and wish the return time window was still open and I would have this defective unit in the mail tonight!"
Last edited by <DK> on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:00 am

Here is the B&C Principals of Fair Chase

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

• Knows and obeys the law, and insists others do as well
• Understands that it is not only about just what is legal, but also what is honorable and ethical
• Defines "unfair advantage" as when the game does not have reasonable chance of escape
• Cares about and respects all wildlife and the ecosystems that support them, which includes making full use of game animals taken
Measures success not in the quantity of game taken, but by the quality of the chase
• Embraces the "no guarantees" nature of hunting
Uses technology in a way that does not diminish the importance of developing skills as a hunter or reduces hunting to just shooting
• Knows his or her limitations, and stretches the stalk not the shot
• Takes pride in the decisions he or she makes in the field and takes full responsibility for his or her actions
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:06 am

<DK> wrote:Here is the B&C Principals of Fair Chase

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

• Understands that it is not only about just what is legal, but also what is honorable and ethical
• Defines "unfair advantage" as when the game does not have reasonable chance of escape
• Cares about and respects all wildlife and the ecosystems that support them, which includes making full use of game animals taken
Measures success not in the quantity of game taken, but by the quality of the chase
Uses technology in a way that does not diminish the importance of developing skills as a hunter or reduces hunting to just shooting
• Takes pride in the decisions he or she makes in the field and takes full responsibility for his or her actions

Thanks for posting that. I think we all need a reminder including myself from time to time. These are a very good standard to go by. Not written in stone as laws but just a guideline we can all strive to follow to the best of our abilities.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 am

Are there any states where its against the law to use them?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 am

rfickes87 wrote:I believe we are in a time where we should just be happy that fellow hunters are still getting out there, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying hunting and buying a license each year. If that makes someone think that it'll help them and it gives them confidence (although a false sense perhaps??) who are we to judge?

Forget what your own opinion is and isn't of fair chase. The "definition of fair chase" can be found in each of our state's rule books. If we want to go beyone those rules then by all means go ahead. But we shouldn't say someone else can use something if it's legal.

Just do what makes YOU happy. Go have fun.

I gotta say something else too... I was talking to my wife about buying a wireless trail cam to put directly over this worn out bed I found. Told her when I get a picture of him I can go in and sneak up on him and kill him. She goes, "Really? Well how is that fair?" "that is cheating". I stopped and thought for a second and I thought you know what she's right. As hard as it would still be to kill that deer in that matter, I know in my heart that 5 seconds after the kill I would start to not feel as proud as if I had just done my scouting like I normally would and killed him during a normal sit. It would take something away from the hunt. To me, it's always been about the chess match and the hard that makes hunting a great thrill, not the kill.

To date I still haven't bought a wireless camera but I wouldn't ever judge someone else for using it in that manner.

That's my 2 cents! ;)

I agree with the cell phone cameras. That’s the line in the sand that I CHOOSE to draw. I wouldnt feel good about getting a pic of a target buck, and then going to hunt him that day. With that being said, I could care less with others doing it. To each their own I say. If this sort of stuff keeps hunting going, I am good with it, just will choose not to use it.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 am

I don’t keep up with scent products what’s a Ozonic?
I do wash clothes in baking soda
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 am

<DK> wrote:Here is the B&C Principals of Fair Chase

THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

Understands that it is not only about just what is legal, but also what is honorable and ethical

I missed a couple things that should be highlighted
antlercrazed

Unread postby antlercrazed » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:11 am

We polled 100 deer and asked them what is the biggest disadvantage for them vs hunters.The number 1 answer was.............. 300winmag not ozonics lol.This may be the craziest discussion I have seen on a hunting forum in a while.Literally bashing a tool to use in the woods to help with scent control ,which I doubt it helps to begin with in a tree stand,when we literally can blast deer from 300 yards away in an elevated heated box blind and plant soy beans and corn and wait till they are starving to death and then go blast em ha.I respect deer and only take ethical shots and I hunt hard every day I'm off I'm hunting but I don't feel sorry for them to the point that I care how anyone else does it within legal shooting hours using legal methods.Anyways I have enjoyed reading the differing opinions though on the subject even if I disagree to each their own.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 am

I have a question for the who cares anything goes it's all good crowd? Is there anything absolutely anything that could come down the pipe that would make u say wait a minute here, this just don't seem right?

With each purchase of this junk it motivates the folks to try to come up with something else another advantage. I don't know what deer everyone else is hunting but the ones around here are grazing animals typically less than 3 years old. How much advantage does one actually need?

We have reached a point where we have gadgets for the original gadget. In my head it all started something like this.

A big group of folks couldn't hit squat shooting instinctive they wanted sights. Out came manufactured sights it was soon realized that these folks also stunk at judging distance out came a range finder. Then they complained this is just to slow the deer is gone before I can shoot. Ok we better get u a lazer range finder. Still not good enough we need a sight that aims for us and does all the calculations and we got it. So I can't wait to see what's next.

Does some guy sittin in a tree with a ozonics machine effect me? No, other then getting me grouped in with these people and looked at as all hunters are idiots. My fear is what hunting will become in 20 years with accepting with open arms anything that comes our way.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”