When and where too shoot does

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: When and where too shoot does

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:47 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:I usually try to shoot 2 does early on during bow season. I'm usually closer to the truck and the cover isn't as thick where the deer are during early season. I killed a spike one year I swore was a doe, I'm very careful not to repeat that if I can help it. I also find myself much less tempted to shoot does during the rut after I've already put 2 does in the freezer.

These last 2 deer seasons I have kept hunting after I tagged out on bucks and killed an additional Doe during the late season. Basically if I don't think a big buck is around and I'm getting an itchy trigger finger I will shoot a big fat doe. I want a big deer, and will pass younger, smaller deer most times.

This is more for rifle hunting, but I've heard the best time to shoot a doe is when she's in heat and has a buck parade behind her. Never tried it before, but I could see if you can drop her in her tracks early in the hunting day, you should gave your pick at the biggest buck in the group congregation around the dead hot doe.

My doe last year brought in a buck for me. Dropped her in her tracks, then had a buck come in for his moment of glory only to end up in the back of my truck. Worked out slicker than slick.

Didn’t have any more bucks come through but I’m not in a good numbers area anyways.

Sounds like it worked out great Jonny! Shooting the lead hot doe may not always the best option but I wouldn't overlook it in the right situation.

If I was on a time crunch or a hunter who only had a few weekends a year to hunt, shooting the lead hot doe could provide a perfect opportunity. We also have rifle quota hunts that only last a weekend. They require hunters to shoot a doe before they can earn a buck.

Yeah the only risk is if that buck is right behind her and spooks from the shot. Risk vs reward right? But midday when you haven’t seen a deer all weekend, might be worth it. Got lucky that my buck was only 15 minutes behind. Wasn’t gonna sit much longer. Knowing what I know now, I shoot a doe in November, I’m not getting down til it’s dark. You just never know.

To me it was an easy choice. But I also know there are plenty of guys here who wouldn’t do it. And for their goals, it makes sense.

I actually applied to 2 properties where I will need to shoot a doe first. Interesting to see how that will go if I draw a permit.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”