What part of the hunting process are you least confident in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: What part of the hunting process are you least confident in?

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 am

Without a doubt picking my kill site.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 am

#1 and locating big bucks specifically.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 am

Now this is a really cool thread!

#2 and #3 so far, keeping in mind my inexperience.

Last season, when I stumbled upon this forum, I was able to successfully scout a few places as I went in blind and they put me on bucks - I even got to put an arrow in one (it was a poor shot, hence #3). Choosing the right tree to be in is a huge challenge for me. It's encouraging for me to see that a lot of the other guys, even the experienced ones, find it challenging as well. It gives me confidence to just follow my gut and push in a little farther. After doing a workshop this spring, it was clear to me how I was coming up short instead of pushing those last 20 yards. That should be a huge game changer for me. I expect to bump a lot of deer this year, but at least I'll be in the game!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:42 am

Hard to choose because I have failed miserably on all 4 options.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am

magicman54494 wrote:Im terrible at the part where I need to drag them out.
I do alright with the other parts.

classic Magicman...... love it and I can relate
Mountainman26

Unread postby Mountainman26 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:59 am

I am most confident with number 3 and 4. Number 1 I do ok but need to get better, and number 2 I second guess myself about half the time. I have had several encounters over the years where I was about 20 yards too far away from a mature buck.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:50 pm

1. Definitely working on scouting more, though I feel like i got over a good hump this year with finding some beds and targeting specific areas on topos versus just going into a spot and blindly walking back deer trails.
2. Picking the right spot is still a challenge for me. On private property I have my kill spots dialed in, but on public less so. Last year I sat a spot on public where i could have taken a nice early season doe but I setup like an idiot and blew my chance at her(rather, she blew it - loudly - for me).
3. Don't ask how but I more or less consider myself a master tracker at this stage in the game. I'll put my tracking skills to the test against anyone LOL. The TP in my pack is not just for emergencies!!
4. Getting pretty good when it's go time too. I'm pretty steady under pressure, and just seem to be able to put it together when it's time to make it happen.

Fun thread!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
tbunao wrote:Picking the right spot (kill location) with out a doubt for me.
I have seen at least 2 of my target bucks every season for the past 3 years. Sometimes the spots have me catching a glimpse and others it’s a matter of yards. Often I catch myself saying, “yup I knew I should of gone to that tree” and others I just chalk it up to deer just doing deer things.

With very limited time to hunt this upcoming season I am taking on the “either I kill him or I get busted” mentality. Hopefully that’s the aggressive move I need.

Often I catch myself saying, “yup I knew I should of gone to that tree” --tbunao

It sounds like you're developing your instinct. You had a thought that the "other" tree was better. Those close calls teach us the fine little details, the small things that end up factoring in success vs failure. It's hard to trust that gut instinct sometimes. I don't even question it anymore. When I get those feelings I go for it and don't over analyze. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong but It feels like my judgement is always improving.

Being wrong is the best way to improve if you analyze it. At first I would be down on myself but eventually I learned how to break down what I did wrong just as effectively as breaking down an area. We as hunters get more chances at breaking down the bad than good but I feel a lot just chalk it up as a lose and move on. I think having a short memory a term they so often use in sports helps.

It’s a tough balance between trusting your scouting and trusting your gut. The woods are constantly changing daily and so should we. For me personally I’ve had more success going in blind than pre scouted area and that’s just due to no pre determined set tree so the gut instinct and woodsmanship are key factors.

Good post rr7
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Mine is a version of #2. Not so much picking the right spot but actually picking the right access route to get to the spot. I always seem to get into a tangle or walking in a spot that i shouldn't have.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:34 pm

#1. My best killing years were years when I was scouting constantly. I rarely have free time to scout where I like to hunt these days. I put family and a career first. Maybe a few days a year scouting the last few years. Results suffer consequently. Things are getting better this year though. I expect more as a result this year.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Without question it’s picking the right spot. I truly feel confident in the other aspects at this point. Not saying I’m the best at them but in picking a spot I’m always second guessing that part.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:45 pm

1 and 2 are easier for me. 3 and 4 have haunted me for years..
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:46 pm

I’m still working on picking the right kill tree, especially when going in blind. In years past I’d not done enough scouting to feel confident in new spots and was limited and then trying to force it. Too aggressive/too close, or not respecting the thermals. I’m focusing more on looking past the deer trail for the mature buck travel route. I was burned twice last season by setting up on the trail and not the transition line 20 yards further. A lot of times it’s not nearly as visible but scouting has helped with setups. Buck tracks, snapped limbs, rubs/scrapes “popping up out of no where”. Definitely good info on the beast with corridors and perpendicular trails.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:47 pm

The drag out I am good with, its the other four things Andy listed that I am not so good with. Good thing Michigan let us start cheating in archery season in 2009, finally fixed my terrible shooting with a xbow. Maybe tracking Im OK, but scouting and picking right spot, D-
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Tracking....Not the act itself, I feel I'm a pretty solid tracker once I get on blood. My weakness is the indecisiveness after the shot.

Did I make a good shot?
Should I press on or wait till morning?
Did I hear a crash?
Where did I see the deer last?
I hope I didn't just bump him.
I hope he didn't run onto private.
Is it supposed to rain tonight?

I know some of you probably enjoy these stressful moments, but I sure don't! But I will say it does make the moment of finally laying eyes on your harvest all the more sweeter! It's funny how relaxing it is helping a buddy track a deer vs. how stressful it is tracking your own.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”