Master Beast camera thoughts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grant

Re: Master Beast camera thoughts

Unread postby Grant » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:I never go by pictures to determine if there is a big buck in the area. Have seen it personally 2 times where bucks where shot, and the only reason they knew those bucks where there is from sheds, both were old bucks. I have noticed you get a ton of 3.5 pics a few 4.5 pics and the 5.5 and 6.5 are usually pretty camera shy. Atleast in my area!

The mature bucks only make a mistake once, and that includes walking past a camera.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:13 pm

The big bucks I gave gotten on camera has given me false hope many a time...
You can waste time, as well, while holding out for that lottery ticket!

Understand what you may be getting for info...

Another note, probably key note, 1 picture only, never a 2nd... Nomad deer...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:The big bucks I gave gotten on camera has given me false hope many a time...

No such thing as a nomad deer... They have areas they hang in everywhere. No doubt the bucks where your hunting are harder to hunt, but they still have preferred areas to feed, to bed, and to breed. Most of the time the one time picture is cause the buck senses you were there and then stays away.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Any tool can either help or hurt you. If you learn to use them right, they can definitely aid your scouting/locating a specific buck and his vulnerabilities. Used wrong they most definitely can educate the same deer.
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:10 am

dan wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:The big bucks I gave gotten on camera has given me false hope many a time...

No such thing as a nomad deer... They have areas they hang in everywhere. No doubt the bucks where your hunting are harder to hunt, but they still have preferred areas to feed, to bed, and to breed. Most of the time the one time picture is cause the buck senses you were there and then stays away.

Dan there maybe was a nomad but I'd say he got killed on his first trip out lol. I truly believe that the older deer see the woods just as we see the inside of our house. They know every stick every rock and so on. Deer dont know what a camera is but as you mentioned they know what the smell is associated with them. I have had some one time pictures of mature bucks at certain spots but have always seemed to get on them. Although sometimes it maybe be a good distance. The boot work still has to be put in to find those areas that are definitely preferred.
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:07 am

Most of the buck I have killed I also have on camera. Like Dan said, cams can do more harm than good if you aren't careful.

With that being said, it's also important to understand that the intel you get from cams is PAST intel. It doesn't tell the future. Even though you had a giant walk by your cam today, doesn't mean he will walk by tomorrow. In fact, its highly unlikely. Using cams to pattern (and kill) a specific buck on public land is very difficult. Using cams year-after-year to establish the pattern of the general population of deer is the ticket IMO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”