Best moon dates of 2018

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Best moon dates of 2018

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

Not sure where you are located, but this is based on a Michigan zip code(EST) and my theory when the Red Moon(highlighted in red)will be this hunting season. Now keep in mind that it's 2-3 hours proceeding daylight and 2-3 hours before dark(not sunrise/sunset). Some of the days may be off, but they are near the peak times regardless. If there are any mistakes, correct me, please.

----sun(rise) sun(set) moon(rise) moon(set) overhead underfoot
---OCTOBER
10/1/18 7:40AM 7:23PM 12:00AM 2:23PM 6:44AM 7:13PM
10/2/18 7:42AM 7:21PM 12:01AM 3:23PM 7:42AM 8:11PM
10/3/18 7:43AM 7:19PM 1:01AM 4:17PM 8:41AM 9:10PM
10/13/18 7:54AM 7:02PM 12:32PM 10:16PM 5:26PM 5:01AM
10/14/18 7:56AM 7:00PM 1:29PM 11:00PM 6:15PM 5:51AM
10/15/18 7:57AM 6:59PM 2:20PM 11:49PM 7:05PM 6:40AM
10/16/18 7:58AM 6:57PM 3:07PM 12:00PM 7:53PM 7:29AM
10/17/18 7:59AM 6:56PM 3:48PM 12:42AM 8:41PM 8:17AM
10/18/18 8:00AM 6:54PM 4:23PM 1:38AM 9:27PM 9:04AM
10/27/18 8:11AM 6:41PM 9:07PM 11:11AM 3:43AM 4:11PM
10/28/18 8:13AM 6:39PM 9:57PM 12:18PM 4:39AM 5:08PM
10/29/18 8:14AM 6:38PM 10:54PM 1:20PM 5:38AM 6:07PM

---NOVEMBER
11/1/18 8:18AM 6:34PM 1:07AM 3:46PM 8:31AM 8:58PM
11/2/18 8:19AM 6:32PM 2:18AM 4:22PM 9:25AM 9:51PM
11/3/18 8:20AM 6:31PM 3:30AM 4:54PM 10:17AM 10:43PM
11/10/18 8:29AM 6:23PM 11:17AM 8:52PM 4:06PM 3:41AM
11/11/18 8:31AM 6:22PM 12:13PM 9:39PM 4:56PM 4:31AM
11/12/18 8:32AM 6:21PM 1:02PM 10:31PM 5:45PM 5:21AM
11/13/18 8:33AM 6:20PM 1:45PM 11:25PM 6:34PM 6:10AM
11/16/18 8:37AM 6:17PM 3:25PM 1:21AM 8:50PM 8:28AM
11/17/18 8:38AM 6:17PM 3:53PM 2:21AM 9:34PM 9:12AM
11/18/18 8:39AM 6:16PM 4:20PM 3:22AM 10:18PM 9:56AM
11/19/18 8:41AM 6:15PM 4:47PM 4:25AM 11:03PM 10:40AM
11/26/18 8:49AM 6:11PM 9:48PM 12:12PM 4:29AM 4:59PM
11/27/18 8:50AM 6:10PM 10:58PM 1:04PM 5:29AM 5:58PM

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks for taking the time Scott. I know it takes awhile and gets confusing looking at the times trying to match things up.

One thing ill throw out is id try to focus more on when the times are only a max of 1 hour before daylight/after dark and only 2hrs after daylight/before dark. This should narrow down the "best days". So for example 10/1 & 10/2 would be the best days bc both times are in effect and land at prime time, then there will be 1-2 days leading up to and after where maybe only evening will match up or vise versa. So looking at a moon guide, the best o/h-u/f days will be closest to a half moon.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Thanks for taking the time Scott. I know it takes awhile and gets confusing looking at the times trying to match things up.

One thing ill throw out is id try to focus more on when the times are only a max of 1 hour before daylight/after dark and only 2hrs after daylight/before dark. This should narrow down the "best days". So for example 10/1 & 10/2 would be the best days bc both times are in effect and land at prime time, then there will be 1-2 days leading up to and after where maybe only evening will match up or vise versa. So looking at a moon guide, the best o/h-u/f days will be closest to a half moon.

Anytime. Yeah all of these I did try to stay in and/or around the 2 hour mark, some days a little over. I know the moon guide classifies the red moon during primetime(first 2 hours of daylight in morning, last 2 hours of daylight before dark). I dont swear by this by any means, just trying to help the guy out so he understands the whole concept and knows what the red moon days are come season. I use it as a confidence booster, I like having the right conditions on top of the correct weather and I like to believe that these days help my odds, making that mature buck get up a couple minutes earlier and come back to bed just a few minutes later.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:42 pm

ScottSpitzley wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Thanks for taking the time Scott. I know it takes awhile and gets confusing looking at the times trying to match things up.

Anytime. Yeah all of these I did try to stay in and/or around the 2 hour mark, some days a little over. I know the moon guide classifies the red moon during primetime(first 2 hours of daylight in morning, last 2 hours of daylight before dark). I dont swear by this by any means, just trying to help the guy out so he understands the whole concept and knows what the red moon days are come season. I use it as a confidence booster, I like having the right conditions on top of the correct weather and I like to believe that these days help my odds, making that mature buck get up a couple minutes earlier and come back to bed just a few minutes later.

Sorry i mis read it using my phone.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Why would they be more active during underfoot?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 am

street28ss wrote:Why would they be more active during underfoot?

The "Red Moon" is when the Overhead OR Underfoot hits during primetime.

When the moon reaches the highest point in the sky, they call it the Overhead. 12.5 hours later the moon will be directly underneath us, calling it the Underfoot. They say it sparks deer movement because of the moons gravitational pull.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:

When the moon reaches the highest point in the sky, they call it the Overhead. 12.5 hours later the moon will be directly underneath us, calling it the Underfoot. They say it sparks deer movement because of the moons gravitational pull.

I can understand the overhead part because it will give more light from the moon. I can't understand the gravitational pull idea. Does overhead and underfoot correspond with the moon position on the semi major axis?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:24 am

street28ss wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

I can understand the overhead part because it will give more light from the moon. I can't understand the gravitational pull idea. Does overhead and underfoot correspond with the moon position on the semi major axis?

Just think of it like a natural signal to get up and do something. I've hunted bedding areas during the rut and you can sometimes set your watch and see deer get up and feed for an hour mid-day and lay back down after the peak moon time. You see this with turkeys, fish feeding times and propbably many other animals too, it's like natures alarm clock. When the moon lines up with prime hunting times you can sometimes have a buck get out of bed a little early or move a little further away form his bed, this can gives us beast hunters just the edge we need to get an arrow in them.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 am

I bought the moon dials a couple years in a row 4-5 years ago. What they call “red moon” is really just first quarter and last quarter moon which just about every wall calendar in America has on it. So theoretically, when the moon is directly OH or UF at usual peak movement times, within an hour or so of dawn and dusk, deer movement is intensified.
Anybody who has an older moon dial can look at it and check out for themselves what Im saying. When it’s a first quarter moon and roughly a day or two before and after first quarter the moon is OH in the evening and UF in the morning. The reverse is true on the last quarter moon.
Hope this helps. No apps or lunar studies required just a dollar store calendar with kitten pictures. :lol:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 am

Wlog wrote:with kitten pictures. :lol:

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 am

Give me the right weather conditions, correct wind and time off work on those days I highlighted, you will find me in the treestand. "And that's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump.

Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am

Being pretty big into musky fishing, I am a firm believer in the moon, but only to a certain point.

Moon rise/set and overhead/underfoot definitely are THE times to be in the best spot (fishing) for that day. Also the first hour of light and the last hour of light, A.K.A. The witching hour. If a big girl was moody the rest of the day, but did show some interest, you bet I’ll be there during the next available major or minor. This doesn’t mean that I’m not going to fish the rest of the day, because that would be silly, but the best action is almost always on a moon time for that day, especially on high pressure, blue-bird days.

When it comes to deer, I really honestly don’t pay too much attention to the moon because, like most of you, I hunt whenever I can (which is almost every week night until the clocks go back) and weekends. And I’m usually waiting for the 2nd half of the last hour of light.

Since I refuse to winterize my boat until gun season here in WI and will go chase water wolves during a blizzard, I am constantly checking the moon phases and sometimes reflect upon them while on stand. I have noticed tho, that daylight movement has/does occur around the moon times of the day. It is usually on a much smaller scale that it is for muskies. It seems like if a buck is going to get up from his bed to stretch, pee, of get a quick bite to eat, it’s during this time, but from what I’ve seen, they’re probably not going much more than 15-20 yds.
I will plan a week long, out of state fishing trip based on new moon/full moon, but haven’t seen enough in the woods to tell me it affects deer as much. I think for deer, safety is always number 1, especially when it comes to adult animals, and that is what’s going to dictate when and where they move. Muskies don’t have much to worry about in their world and are usually king of the forest in their home turf, so safety isn’t much of a factor to them, they’re just moody lol. I think if it’s a day where moonrise and the last hour of light coincide with each and the wind/weather are right for maybe your number 1 Target, id say you’re odds might be a little more in your favor that day.

With all that said, weather is ALWAYS more important. If a front is moving in but it’s high noon and moon rise isn’t for 7 hours, I’m heading to my best spot right now (fishing).

I always get a kick out of guys, and gals, blaming a full moon for not seeing/shooting anything. I’ve shot 3 good ones on full moon nights, and no not at midnight lol, like 30 min before closing time.

Sorry for the novel, but that’s just what I’ve observed over the last 5-10 years. I don’t really focus on the moon too much, weather and proximity to bedding is key. If you believe in it and it gives you confidence, that’s all that matters. This is just my take on it, and I could be way off, just based on observations I’ve made in my short 14 year bow hunting career, with the first few years being nothing more that being in the woods and struggling lol.

Is it September yet?!
How bad do you want it?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:23 am

Dewey wrote:Everybody has smartphones these days and there are plenty of apps. I use iSolunar for best moon times. Works great for fishing too.

Same here.

I use Deluxe Moon. What's really nice about the apps, Deluxe Moon anyway, is that you can get the exact overhead/underfoot times for where you are standing.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Marshbuster89 wrote:Being pretty big into musky fishing, I am a firm believer in the moon, but only to a certain point.

Moon rise/set and overhead/underfoot definitely are THE times to be in the best spot (fishing) for that day. Also the first hour of light and the last hour of light, A.K.A. The witching hour. If a big girl was moody the rest of the day, but did show some interest, you bet I’ll be there during the next available major or minor. This doesn’t mean that I’m not going to fish the rest of the day, because that would be silly, but the best action is almost always on a moon time for that day, especially on high pressure, blue-bird days.

When it comes to deer, I really honestly don’t pay too much attention to the moon because, like most of you, I hunt whenever I can (which is almost every week night until the clocks go back) and weekends. And I’m usually waiting for the 2nd half of the last hour of light.

Since I refuse to winterize my boat until gun season here in WI and will go chase water wolves during a blizzard, I am constantly checking the moon phases and sometimes reflect upon them while on stand. I have noticed tho, that daylight movement has/does occur around the moon times of the day. It is usually on a much smaller scale that it is for muskies. It seems like if a buck is going to get up from his bed to stretch, pee, of get a quick bite to eat, it’s during this time, but from what I’ve seen, they’re probably not going much more than 15-20 yds.
I will plan a week long, out of state fishing trip based on new moon/full moon, but haven’t seen enough in the woods to tell me it affects deer as much. I think for deer, safety is always number 1, especially when it comes to adult animals, and that is what’s going to dictate when and where they move. Muskies don’t have much to worry about in their world and are usually king of the forest in their home turf, so safety isn’t much of a factor to them, they’re just moody lol. I think if it’s a day where moonrise and the last hour of light coincide with each and the wind/weather are right for maybe your number 1 Target, id say you’re odds might be a little more in your favor that day.

With all that said, weather is ALWAYS more important. If a front is moving in but it’s high noon and moon rise isn’t for 7 hours, I’m heading to my best spot right now (fishing).

I always get a kick out of guys, and gals, blaming a full moon for not seeing/shooting anything. I’ve shot 3 good ones on full moon nights, and no not at midnight lol, like 30 min before closing time.

Sorry for the novel, but that’s just what I’ve observed over the last 5-10 years. I don’t really focus on the moon too much, weather and proximity to bedding is key. If you believe in it and it gives you confidence, that’s all that matters. This is just my take on it, and I could be way off, just based on observations I’ve made in my short 14 year bow hunting career, with the first few years being nothing more that being in the woods and struggling lol.

Is it September yet?!

Being a fishing guy, I agree with everything u said. I pay very close attention to the moon for fishing for both spawn and feeding times. Think it's the same for deer but pressure screws the pooch in a diff way than fish. I watch deer a lot for the fun of it, during non hunting periods the moon is a major player. Apply pressure not so much. If I had a large parcel with lush food plots and absolutely no pressure I would pay attention to it, maybe even purchase the ole red moon calendar. But in the real world don't think it's gonna do your average Joe a bit of good.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Marshbuster89 wrote:Being pretty big into musky fishing, I am a firm believer in the moon, but only to a certain point.

Is it September yet?!

Great post and I very much agree, some take the moon thing out of context a bit. It is a tool in the toolbox, not the sole purpose to be in the woods. Any serious beast/moon guy will admit weather trumps all and you want to be in the woods any chance you get. I do plan a few vacation days every year around the moon because with a job and kids/busy schedules I just can't drop everything and run out when the weather is right. To me the moon is just another small plus, the more things I can line up in my favor the better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”