Setting a date

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Setting a date

Unread postby OHBB24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:33 am

I'm trying to plan for this year's hunt. I've posted this before but reintroduce because everyone on here is so detail oriented and pays attention to change in the woods, curious if folks have changed their ideas on best days to hunt. I get 5-6 days a year to hunt so I want to get the best week possible without all of the curve balls of pressure, weather,etc...I will not miss my daughter's birthday of Nov 12 so my dates will be either the two weeks prior or week or two after. Listened to hunting public this morning and sounds like the guys lean toward the mid half of November and see more. Any Ohio guys have a preference.

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Setting a date

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 am

Southern Ohio here. I see the best mature buck cruising the week of Thanksgiving. However, they’re still mature bucks and cruising is very limited during daylight. If you’re wanting to use rut tactics, most of the pressure is off by then. First 3 weeks of November is lots of pressure and 1-3 year olds cruising.

I recommend the week of Halloween. Pre rutting hard, also before the rut hunting pressure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 am

Never hunted Ohio, but what I do if I'm planning something is research afew years worth of P&y and B&C kill records in the county I wanna go to. There's normally some 3 or 4 day Windows worth of historical data that jump of the pages. Just gotta be sure these numbers aren't skewed because of high numbers in the woods. Ex: such as thanksgiving weekend. If u see certain days where it doesn't appear to be due to high numbers flooding the woods such as gun openers and long holiday weekends that's what ya want.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:00 am

check Ohio regs I believe there is a youth gun season the weekend of the 17th. Last season I had non-resident success the last week of Oct, but was fortunate to have favorable weather. This season I'm trying something different and going solo in mid Nov (2 of my hunting buddies drew Wyoming tags). Public land in OH will get pressure no matter what phase of the rut. Use pressure to your advantage by going where others won't go or simply overlook.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:09 pm

If you can get out there now, go now and scout out the bedding. Why worry about setting a date? Try and get back to the basics of beast hunting. Go take a trip scouting for 1 day if you can. Or maybe do a scouting trip in mid October if you want to hunt November. I'd never set a date this far in advance. That doesn't really mean anything. You don't have any idea what that date will give you weather wise, etc.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm

I live in Arizona so got to get plane ticket soon. It's always a crapshoot with the variables. I don't have the $ to get in there and scout prior to my trip. I'm just looking to see if anyone has better luck during specific parts of the month over another.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:37 am

I personally have seen bigger bucks closer to Thanksgiving, however I've seen the best action the 1st thru the 11th. You'll see higher pressure at the beginning of the month.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 am

Beginning of the month as others mentioned will have the most pressure. As far as buck activity, I see the mature bucks the later part of the month. Typically the week of juvi hunt (you can still hunt, just have to wear orange) through the last week of the month is when I see the best quality of deer.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 am

I'd go Nov 13-18. My second choice would be Oct 27-Nov 1st.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 am

I'll be in the woods this year from the 7th to the 15th. I hunt a lot of private land so pressure is not really an issue. If you are hunting public i'd lean towards that 3rd week. I do believe you'll see less deer that week than earlier in the month but big deer should also be moving more looking for the last few doe in heat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”