Predicted buck movement success?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Predicted buck movement success?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 am

How often do your predictions of a buck’s movement come true or even remotely close to true, for example, he comes through the area when you thought he would but not down a killable trail.

Just curious...last year I had a buck that was running with does at the end of season...I observed him coming through the area on a specific trail. The next weekend (next time I could I hunt), I hunted the trail they came down. I’ll be damned if they didn’t come down the trail near my observation post the previous weekend which was about 75 yards from the trail they came down the weekend before. Time ran out on me and I never got a shot, but I was happy to see that what I thought would happen, more or less did even though I didn’t get a shot.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JRM KY

Re: Predicted buck movement success?

Unread postby JRM KY » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 am

It is and always will be a game of cat and mouse thats why i love it. From what you described i would say that the food source did not change but perhaps the bedding did. Maybe the wind was shifted somewhat and they bedded in a different location with different exit trails. Depending on what time you seen him could have told you a lot. If it was right at closing maybe try moving in closer and perhaps there is a spot those trails are closer together or if it was early in the evening move farther away where those trails intersect. I would almost bet that if you looked at aerial of the spot and take wind in consideration there are a couple different bedding options based on the prevailing side. If we were right all the time it would not be hunting and most important not a challenge. Any man that sais he is right all the time might not be the most honest lol. Look on the bright side though, look at all the knowledge you gained for upcoming season if food sources dont change.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 am

JRM KY wrote:It is and always will be a game of cat and mouse thats why i love it. From what you described i would say that the food source did not change but perhaps the bedding did. Maybe the wind was shifted somewhat and they bedded in a different location with different exit trails. Depending on what time you seen him could have told you a lot. If it was right at closing maybe try moving in closer and perhaps there is a spot those trails are closer together or if it was early in the evening move farther away where those trails intersect. I would almost bet that if you looked at aerial of the spot and take wind in consideration there are a couple different bedding options based on the prevailing side. If we were right all the time it would not be hunting and most important not a challenge. Any man that sais he is right all the time might not be the most honest lol. Look on the bright side though, look at all the knowledge you gained for upcoming season if food sources dont change.

Yea I sure wished I had noted the conditions better. I had a favorable wind both times but don’t recall what it was. I know where the buck beds and of course the does shift. I couldn’t get much closer without spooking the does in that spot. Got this year!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:01 am

mheichelbech wrote:
JRM KY wrote:It is and always will be a game of cat and mouse thats why i love it. From what you described i would say that the food source did not change but perhaps the bedding did. Maybe the wind was shifted somewhat and they bedded in a different location with different exit trails. Depending on what time you seen him could have told you a lot. If it was right at closing maybe try moving in closer and perhaps there is a spot those trails are closer together or if it was early in the evening move farther away where those trails intersect. I would almost bet that if you looked at aerial of the spot and take wind in consideration there are a couple different bedding options based on the prevailing side. If we were right all the time it would not be hunting and most important not a challenge. Any man that sais he is right all the time might not be the most honest lol. Look on the bright side though, look at all the knowledge you gained for upcoming season if food sources dont change.

Yea I sure wished I had noted the conditions better. I had a favorable wind both times but don’t recall what it was. I know where the buck beds and of course the does shift. I couldn’t get much closer without spooking the does in that spot. Got this year!

If you remember the specific days you can check weather underground for historical wind data.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”