Overhanging “Branch”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Overhanging “Branch”

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 am

So last year I finally got around to using a rope for an overhanging Branch on a scrape I always use. The scrape is one I just kick open every year and use NO scent. I use it for pics. I left it there all winter. Every buck that walks by it now in velvet uses it most of the does use it and now for the first time ever I got spotted fawns using it. I have never seen a fawn use one I’m guessing because I never kept one out or a cam over one at this time of year. Or it’s not normal. Just an interesting observation thought I’d share

bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Overhanging “Branch”

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 am

I've always used Mock scrapes and natural licking branches for inventory pictures. It's cool to see that the rope has worked so well for you. I will have to give that a try this year.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

What kind of rope?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:40 am

I have similar findings although I prefer a piece of garden hose vs the rope for stiffness. I run a string through it and attach some mop head to one end for them to leave sent on. Sooner or later I will get a pick of every buck in the area using it. I've experimented with both applying scent and no scent, so far seems to be a wash both methods getting the same attention
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

Glad you are having good results with the rope. A while back I read an article by Jeff Sturgis where he used vines over his mock scrapes. I have started using vines and have had good results on my cameras.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am

I'd say it's probably pretty normal. Seems every critter around will visit scrapes. Coon, fox and coyote included lol.

I've never used anything. I try to hang it where I think a scrape would show up. Rip the ground up using my climbing stick that I use to hang the camera and usually wet the ground myself. I had pics of a 1.5yo at one while my puddle was still there.

They are great inventory takers. I've found once the velvet starts coming off that they'll often do some fighting infront of the scrape.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am

If I remember right it’s 3/4” Manila or hemp rope. For firmness ironically it didn’t like how high I had it last year so I ziptied another piece to it and they go bonkers for the zipties. Right now they aren’t working the ground only the rope. I think it’s hilarious how some of the “pros “get all technical with their mock scrapes or should I say selling product. I could hang a Barbie doll from mine and they would work it over lol
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am

tim wrote:If I remember right it’s 3/4” Manila or hemp rope. For firmness ironically it didn’t like how high I had it last year so I ziptied another piece to it and they go bonkers for the zipties. Right now they aren’t working the ground only the rope. I think it’s hilarious how some of the “pros “get all technical with their mock scrapes or should I say selling product. I could hang a Barbie doll from mine and they would work it over lol

For a joke you should try the barbie doll, head down :lol: :lol: Then post pictures....I would find it hilarious
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm

If I ever found a Barbie Doll head tied to a tree I would NEVER HUNT THAT PARCEL AGAIN!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I heard don higgins talking about using Smokeys lure on a rope like the wensel brothers for mock scrapes to inventory bucks.

Here is the article from the wensel brothers. https://brothersofthebow.com/wicked-wicks

I tried it last yr and wasn't sold based on the price of the lure and the low number of pictures I got on my trail cam. Maybe my deer density sucks, but I was disappointed.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
magoo

Unread postby magoo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I've had absolutely no success with any of Smokey's lure. The best luck I've had
with mock scrapes was James Valley Wallhanger. Then it startedto slip. Wish I could find
a consistent product.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:37 pm

I’ve had some great luck with Smokey’s Preorbital Gland lure. Any type of fabric to hold the scent seems to work well
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I’m telling ya I don’t use scents. Deer use my overhanging branches. I’ve got tons of videos and pics of no scent setups. . It does matter where you place them... I am seriously thinking about hanging something silly like that on one just to show how much it doesn’t matter and hey if trespassers get creeped out all the better..... I can just see the Amish neighbors finding one while trespassing
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm

KLEMZ wrote:If I ever found a Barbie Doll head tied to a tree I would NEVER HUNT THAT PARCEL AGAIN!

Good to know! :lol: :lol:
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”