Summer glassing/scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gesell23
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... %5D=12.%7B"unit_id_click_type"%3A"g

Summer glassing/scouting

Unread postby Gesell23 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 am

Curious if you guys have a process of how you do your summer drives, glassing for bucks?

Will you ever pick a spot and sit, glass from a distance?

I have done more drives around my spots this year than ever before. Seen some good bucks but not on any land I can hunt. I have had great nights and nights I have hardly seen a deer. Trying to go whenever I can but also trying to go when the weather is a bit cooler than it has been the previous days.

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Summer glassing/scouting

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:12 am

I typically start my drive an hour before dark in the surrounding areas of where I will be hunting. Sometimes I will just drive around until I see deer, other times I will sit at a spot from a good distance and wait knowing there is a nice buck in the area and about where they come out of from. I will glass until dark and then shine for a good hour. I see more deer at dark than glassing in the evenings, more mature deer too. Just pay attention to the time, try to correlate it with their bedding. They move a lot faster at dark and can travel a long way so glassing in the evening, in my opinion, gives you a better idea of where their core area is.

Cooler weather I have noticed them moving more as well. But I tend to just go when I have the free time in the evenings regardless of the temp, weather. Going in all different kinds of weather and temps will help you figure out when they are on their feet more, pay attention to wind direction too. So just go when you can and keep track of the weather and what you see, it's good to have that kind of intel.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 am

I have developed a rule over the years called never hunt a deer everyone sees from the road.
There will always be a bunch of other guys in there mucking it up.
I have not been shining in years.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I mix it up a bit, some evening's I'll set up and watch some fields back a way from the roads on this peice of public. Then another evening I'll go for a drive checking on few fields close to where I can hunt. I guess it just depends on how I'm feeling or the time I have.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Killtree wrote:I have developed a rule over the years called never hunt a deer everyone sees from the road.
There will always be a bunch of other guys in there mucking it up.
I have not been shining in years.

Good point I’ve been thinking about lately
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 pm

In July I drive around all the areas I have access to hunt AND a 2-3 mile radius of those areas. This time of year, I'm covering as much ground as possible the nights I'm glassing. I'm just trying to locate any good bucks. Some bucks shift to a fall range and some don't, but there's a chance a good buck a few miles away could end up on a parcel I have access to, and I want to know about him already. Over a few years of doing this I have figured out a few areas where summer bucks sometimes end up in the fall.

About half way through August, I will try and keep an eye on any good bucks I located in July. Usually I will camp out in one or two areas a night and try and get some pics/vid/intel.

Last 2 weeks of September, I'm trying to see if any of those bucks are still moving in daylight and if they've dispersed from bachelor groups already. If they have, Im trying to relocate them and take note of where they are feeding and on what, and if I have any bedding areas pinned down nearby.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:29 pm

I agree with Seaz.....cover a good radius because the bucks can and will shift, especially once the pressure is on. Most guys who don't know bedding will hunt as close as they can to where they see the buck in the field....use your spring scouting knowledge to figure out where he might relocate to once pressured.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:30 pm

For years before children and a job I have to be to by 8 pm I sat downwind sides of fields a couple days a week in the summer to glass and film deer. That was late 80’s up into early 2000’s then the kids came and I’m using trail cameras to do most of my summer scouting, when you only get a night or two off work a week it’s hard to tell the family I’m going to go sit a field edge. I do miss it.
Aim small miss small

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”