Red, White, Yellow, Green light...???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: Red, White, Yellow, Green light...???

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 am

A deer can run full speed through the woods at night. If you are in their line of site, even without a light on, they can see you. I choose to use a low output white light when walking in or out of a stand simply because it allows me to navigate safely and more quietly (green or red do not help me as much as white does). In wet, quiet , rainy conditions I walk up on deer quite often (within 10 yards). They seem more confused by the shadows created by my light than by the source of the light.

These are just my observations.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 am

Another reason for using a light. My taxidermist told me a story about how on one AM he was walking to his stand just before light and got shot at... That's something to consider as well.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:57 am

I'm of the red light camp for everything now.

At one time I used just the run of the mill white headlamp and did all I could to keep it pointed down at my feet on the trail I was walking and I walked up on deer doing this but I noticed I got busted very often while climbing the tree or while getting setup in the stand because the light was shinning every where's in the woods.

Ran into a older hunter one evening coming out the woods and he was during a very dim red headlamp and if it wasn't for the fact that I was looking dead at him I probably would have missed him.

We got to talking about his red headlamp and he made me think about it enough yo try it so I went bought the cheapest dimest red light headlamp I could find and since then I seldom get busted while climbing or setting up in my stand due to the light shinning out across the woods.

What I have also noticed is I am a lot more stealthy going throw the woods because of the red light I can see as far down the trail so I move slower but at the same time I can see in a lot more detail what I'm walking on, I don't seem to step on so many fryed out pine sticks now.

This is just what I have noticed from my hunting experience works well for me but like all things in life your mileage my vary.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Another reason for using a light. My taxidermist told me a story about how on one AM he was walking to his stand just before light and got shot at... That's something to consider as well.

They wouldn't have been to happy when I would have shot back lmao
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 am

I have a dual white led/red headlamp. I use the red more. I don't want to be as visible to other hunters. It works well for me.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 am

The only thing I worry about with my lights is people seeing it not deer. I dont want anyone knowing where I'm coming from or where I'm going. I use a small handheld light pointed straight down at my feet and a dim-able headlamp for climbing tree.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 am

I use a dim white light head lamp and a brighter white light flashlight for thickets. The key is access. You don’t want to walk where deer are in the dark just like accessing for an evening hunt
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

Majority of the time I do not use a light. My dad would never let me use a light as a kid and I just got used to it. It's amazing how well you can see if your not constantly flicking a light on and off. Also I find it easier to navigate and not get turned around. With a light your focus is on such a small area. Without a light you kinda see the whole picture.

Now if I have a walk through some very thick areas I will use a light to try and find the quietest path through.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”