2018 broadhead choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: 2018 broadhead choice

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Josh_S wrote:
Dewey wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:Same as I have for almost 25 years now....125 gr Muzzy 3 blade w/Trocar tip. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. ;)

My thoughts exactly. Wish I had all the money back I spent trying to find something better. Not that there isn’t a head out there that is better, but for my needs and budget, this is the best broadhead for me.

I lost only one buck due to wounding with a Muzzy since 1993. That one loss was last year and was more my fault due to poor shot selection and had zero to do with the broadhead. Can’t argue with those results.

In the end shot selection is really all that matters. Any head out there will kill just fine if you puncture both lungs. You can use the best head out there but if you can’t put it in the right spot it’s totally worthless.

nailed it

I agree and disagree. While yes if you shoot a deer in the leg the best broadhead isn't going to help you. But how bout a common shot that ends up in the shoulder! This is where my concerns lye , u don't have to do to much research to find what kind of broadheads are gonna leave you feeling sick in that situation. I want a broadhead that performs for the good, bad and the ugly. I want it to last and I don't want it to lose all its momentum trying to push through the hide.

That’s why I shoot Muzzy. BAD TO THE BONE. ;)

I've always wanted to try a phantom just haven't got around to it. Mainly due to limited variety of sizes, I normally have to get a glue on so I can play with the weight but I've never heard anything bad about Muzzy

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Haven't settled on broadhead weight yet but it'll most likely be zwickey's. Either eskimo's or delta's.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Placement is all that matters. But what happens when you miss by 3”?

Bang on for my experience last year. I made a bad shot. I also think the buck ducked a little. Either way, I should have had him if I’d gotten more penetration. I don’t think my muzzy made it past the ribs. I trusted my pro shop to have set me up with a good arrow and broadhead combination. They did for the perfect shot...not the imperfect one. That’s what I’m preparing for now. Aron Snyder has a podcast series on broadheads and FOC coming out soon. That coupled with the Ranch Fairy’s experiments will determine what I shoot this year. Hopefully my shot will be better if I get an opportunity this year. If not, at least I’ll be doing more damage...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 am

I'm going to use the bishops this year. Got nothing against mechanicals or replaceable blade fixed. They all do their job in the right spot. They will all fail in the wrong spot. But the "could be right" spot is where I want the advantage. Simple design, cut on contact, good steel, easy to sharpen, and I can likely shoot the same heads until I either lose them or die of old age.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:32 am

Been using muzzy mx3s for the past couple years. They did fine as long as I did my part. I’ll be switching to slick trick standards this year. I’ve heard nothing but good things, and I’m intrigued by the smaller 4 blade design.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 am

Grim reapers. I have been through a ton of broadheads over the years and these have worked out best for me. Tried exodus heads last season and shot two deer with them. Even though both deer we're recovered there was not much blood on either hit and i was disappointed. Both pass through double lung. I really thought I found the ultimate fixed blade because they flew awesome. After those two deer last year I. Went back to reapers and had tons of blood and the next 5 deer all pretty much dropped within sight. I was using the 3 balde pro series heads that come in a 4pack. I believe they are 1 3/8 cut.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am

Switched to Schwacker 125 grain last year after using Slick Trick Mags for years. Really no reason to switch but superstition (Slick tricks were giving me any mature buck sightings lol) and a buddy loved them. Switched mid hunt (had been practicing with them as well before that) and shot a doe at 22 yards that left a red carpet and only went 50 yards. Shot a 5.5 year old 260 pd buck the next day and he ran 60 or so yards and feel over in sight after a 40 yards shot. He was slightly quartering to and that arrow went about 3/4 of the way in and that was it. No exit but it wasn't needed since he fell in sight. I'll stick with them again this year and see if my luck continues.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:27 am

Would like to try iron will, Valkyrie or Bone 150gr

But it is getting too late to mess with anything. Bow season is only a few weeks away.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:I’ve shot slick trick mags for about 10 or 11 years, never thought I’d change but have heard good things about the exodus. I bought a couple packs of them to try out this year. They sure do look mean.

^I am in the same boat. I have killed probably 30 deer and two bear with 100 gr ST Mags. While the animal usually doesn't run far, I find that almost 60% of the time the blood trail isn't all that great. Obviously there are a lot of factors that can affect a blood trail, but from everything I have gathered, the triangle shape of a 3 blade (like the QAD Exodus) should yield some good blood trails. If they tune well, I will be trying these out this season for deer.
Last edited by Treewalker87 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I'll be shooting QAD Exodus again this year. For the price, I don't know that you can find better.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:21 pm

kdawg_901 wrote:Zwicky eskimos

Ditto! :clap: :clap:
Made drastic changes in my setup this year. I was shooting 125 grain rage chisel tip, on a 30'' cabelas carbon hunter 340. Total arrow weight of around 395-415gr.
New setup 125 zwickey eskimo, 100 gr brass insert, 27'' victory 350, 5gpi arrow tube weight for a grand total of 611 gr arrow weight. I want a freight train for my setup and i think i found it! cut on contact 1000% from here on out.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
magoo

Unread postby magoo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Been using Slick Trick mags for a few years, but I plan to use either QAD Exodus this year or 3 blade VPA.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:31 pm

NH Teufelhund wrote:This is the most played out thread in hunting history but holy crap am I glad someone started it again hahahah!!

I just can’t get enough of the subject. I trust montec G5’s to fly right and make a kill. I do NOT trust them to generate a good blood trail. I switched to magnums black hornets but haven’t killed with them. I don’t think they fly that well so I’m glad we are having this discussion.

I am VERY close to switching to rage hypodermics or rage whatever’s but I am scared of them malfunctioning and I’m scared they catch a lead one foot before impact and they malfunction or miss. Is that crazy? I’m thinking I could have a solid wall of brush one foot in front of vitals but punch thru with a fixed blade but a mechanical might explode or miss. Again, I don’t know if that is a dumb thought, I’m just not experienced enough.

I also believe it’s very likely I only take a perfect clean shot no matter what and if that’s the case, I feel like 2 inch mechanicals have better blood trails and kill quick.

You're right....the big cut mechs do leave outrageous blood trails, but it's the chance that they could fail that steers many guys away from them.

Not sure why the Hornets aren't flying for you, but I can back up that they are a great flying head.....even better than my Slick Tricks. Hard to beat the warranty also!
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:08 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:
kdawg_901 wrote:Zwicky eskimos

Ditto! :clap: :clap:
Made drastic changes in my setup this year. I was shooting 125 grain rage chisel tip, on a 30'' cabelas carbon hunter 340. Total arrow weight of around 395-415gr.
New setup 125 zwickey eskimo, 100 gr brass insert, 27'' victory 350, 5gpi arrow tube weight for a grand total of 611 gr arrow weight. I want a freight train for my setup and i think i found it! cut on contact 1000% from here on out.

Confused about your Eskimo. The 125 gr is a glue on head. The standard screw on head is sold as a 160 (although they ring in at 168). I use a 100gr steel adapter in mine so they come in at 235-238 gr.

Emrah
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I'm going to use the bishops this year. Got nothing against mechanicals or replaceable blade fixed. They all do their job in the right spot. They will all fail in the wrong spot. But the "could be right" spot is where I want the advantage. Simple design, cut on contact, good steel, easy to sharpen, and I can likely shoot the same heads until I either lose them or die of old age.

185 to 300.00 bucks for a pack of 3 heads (models vary in price) and 10 weeks for order processing and delivery.... :shock: You must really like those heads.... I understand the difference in manufacturing, 100% machined, no molding, no welding. But is the performance delta really worth the price delta? I mean you could buy like 30 Muzzys for the price of 3 of these...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”