2018 broadhead choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ditz

Re: 2018 broadhead choice

Unread postby Ditz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 am

Chuck B wrote:All I have used is Rage my whole bow hunting life (about 9 years). With that being said, I am ready for a change after a non-recovery last year (not that it was all the broad heads fault). This is probably a DUMB question, but oh well; , for you guys with fixed (which is what I think I am going to try), what do you do for practice? Just shoot the real broad heads? Do you worry about them getting dull? I realize you use field points most of the time probably while practicing, but what about when you want to try the real broad head at a target? Or, do you just have one sacrificial broad head for practice?

Sorry for the questions, just have wondered that for a while and interested in your opinions.

I am leaning towards Muzzy...something that has been around that long must have something figured out....

I have one sacrificial broad head that I mark and just use for practice.

GregD516
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=70805583

Unread postby GregD516 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 am

Magnus Black Hornets and Rage Trypans, both 100g, at the end of a Gold Tip Hunter Xt 300 4 fletched with Bohning X Vanes, 480g total. I’m trying a little heavier arrow this year.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:09 am

GregD516 wrote:Magnus Black Hornetsand Rage Trypans, both 100g, at the end of a Gold Tip Hunter Xt 300 4 fletched with Bohning X Vanes, 480g total. I’m trying a little heavier arrow this year.

I switched from Muzzy 100's to Black Hornets last year. Never really had a problem with the muzzy's but wanted to switch to a COC head. I also switched to a heavier arrow setup. Was and still am extremely impressed with how well the Black hornets shoot and hold up. Penetration is outstanding. Also made in the USA.
GregD516
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=70805583

Unread postby GregD516 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:00 am

Redman232 wrote:
GregD516 wrote:Magnus Black Hornetsand Rage Trypans, both 100g, at the end of a Gold Tip Hunter Xt 300 4 fletched with Bohning X Vanes, 480g total. I’m trying a little heavier arrow this year.

I switched from Muzzy 100's to Black Hornets last year. Never really had a problem with the muzzy's but wanted to switch to a COC head. I also switched to a heavier arrow setup. Was and still am extremely impressed with how well the Black hornets shoot and hold up. Penetration is outstanding. Also made in the USA.

I bought them for hogs but didn’t get to go on a hog hunt like I’d hoped. Good to hear though!
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:45 am

Rage 2.3 for me. Interesting reading through all the heads I didn't know existed. If I ever lose a deer with a Rage I will more than likely switch, but that hasn't happened yet and that's where my confidence lies.
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:19 am

I will be using rage hypodermics and I also have slick tricks that I like. They will be heading up my Easton 5mm FMJs.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am

Steelforce 100 g. titanium serrated.
Have used these broadheads for at least 15 yrs. with excellent results.
By no means a gashing wound broadhead like a mechanical but what I really like about them is they carry on the trajectory of your arrow through the animal really well (meaning no goofy direction changes after impact) and I almost always get a pass thru.@ 58lbs.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am

Rage 3 blade chisel tip SC w/ Easton bloodline 400s
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:13 pm

I've been playing with afew heads the past month or so and thought I would share my experience. Started off with a Tusker Javelin 2 blade, good head. Probably the best flying I've ever shot. Very similar to a Zwickey Eskimo but half the price. Cons are they come extremely dull! Took me about 45 min per head to get them where I wanted. If you know how to sharpen heads these are a very good option.

Up next was a bod-kin 3 blade only place I found them was 3 rivers and they were $20 for 6. Not the strongest of steel but that makes for easy sharpening to a hair poppin finish. Also the steel is more than enough for whitetails and still heavier then what u find on most store shelves. Fly great and easy to sharpen. Possible cons are there only available in glue on and in 125gr. But a deff player for the budget minded Hunter.

My conclusion after shooting a plethora of heads through the years is this:

If you want a one time purchase with heads that will last until you lose them at a reasonable price VPA's are tough to beat. They come sharp, high quality tool grade steel and available in all sorts of diff weights and styles.

For a more budget minded 2 blade shooter the Tusker is a killer head with many sizes and styles. Just make sure u know how to sharpen heads or your asking for trouble. A good alternative is a zwickey just a bit more cost but a quality head.

I personally am very happy with the bod-kin 3 blade and will be hunting with them this season. I prefer a glue on and the 125gr was what I needed for this years combo. Came down to price point for me. I got 6 for $22 and didn't feel like laying down a Benjamin for 6 vpa's. All heads mentioned as well as many others are good heads just so happened to spend the last few months playing with these. Happy Hunting!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

QAD Exodus and Magnus Black Hornet ser razors, and Rage Extreme 4 blade, Rage hypodermics. The people claiming fear of mechanicals failing should also be as worried about their compound bow failing or their drop away rest failing.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 am

Rutnstrut wrote:QAD Exodus and Magnus Black Hornet ser razors, and Rage Extreme 4 blade, Rage hypodermics. The people claiming fear of mechanicals failing should also be as worried about their compound bow failing or their drop away rest failing.

I've had 2 failures so that's why I personally worry about it
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:32 am

Rutnstrut wrote:QAD Exodus and Magnus Black Hornet ser razors, and Rage Extreme 4 blade, Rage hypodermics. The people claiming fear of mechanicals failing should also be as worried about their compound bow failing or their drop away rest failing.

Sure. But all other things being equal (which they aren’t) the less things to potentially fail, the better.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”