Summer scouting...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Summer scouting...

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:49 pm

I’m just waiting on my window mount for my camera so I can start documenting while shining and driving a 5 speed :lol:

SD_Bowhunter

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:45 am

My plan is to hit it hard the weekend after the 4th. I have located what I believe to be 2 primary bedding areas this past spring as well as 20 or so places I still need to scout this summer. Looking forward to my first season that is entirely dedicated to beast style hunting and hunting buck beds.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 am

Jeff G wrote:Got my eye on a slob.

A slobosaurus rex
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:50 am

I have been seeing some nice deer. Nothing giant yet. I have my best luck glassing bigger bucks in July and August. The bucks seem to spend more time in the open. I believe that it is because of the bugs. The deer are looking for a breezy spot to get relief from them. My cattle do the same thing at this time of the year. Does anyone else experience seeing more bucks in the open at this time off the year? Any other thoughts?
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 am

I run cams on trails and over Trophy Rocks on private. While skirl hunting on public, I am continually looking for deer sign. I glass the mast producing trees for acorns and the persimmon trees for persimmons, while there. I also glass the beans, late evenings on public, as much as possible.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 am

typically I am running cameras - but just have nmot had time for past two seasons. I do very little summer scouting as it is just to hot to see much daylight movement - If I do it from early morning glassing.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:37 am

Just got my new 2108 Model, Vortex viper spotting scope in the mail that I'm pretty excited to try. The 2018 model apparently has some fancy glass coating that lets in more light.

I'm also watching two good ones that are almost 100% public so they are definitely killable. Ive scouted them in the wet areas all winter and I don't feel like I have every piece of the puzzle yet, so I've been chasing and chased by bugs all over the dry land. I found a new spot the other day that inspired me so much that i had to make a video lol

https://youtu.be/kAEx8ZGN7HM

You can see the one bed has been used so much this year already that the grass hasn't been able to grow in this spot. Large in size and very secluded and crappy to get to is what leads me to believe it's a wiser older animal. I had to decide if I was going to put a camera up or leave it and come back and hunt it without all the messing around with the camera. Because I don't know the area, I feel I would rather collect the data and know what's going on but risk blowing the spot rather than not know anything in regards to what's going on and try to hunt it and most likely fail... Shhhwweew, those were run on sentences, but you get the point
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:06 am

Trying to get out glassing and shining as much as I can! I have spotted a few brutes, excited for season!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:03 am

Seen a few nice ones by the growth of horn around my way and am really pumped on opening day of September 1st
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 pm

I usually get all my cameras out around the 4th of July. I will run 5 trail cams on public, 5 on private. I will trim my sets and hang the trail cams and then not touch them until the first time I hunt near the location. I never hang my cameras right where I hunt, usually somewhere on the way to the stand site so I can grab them on the exit after the hunt. If I have time to glass I will, but it isn't that helpful where I hunt. Can't hardly wait...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”