Getting Deer to Slow Down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Getting Deer to Slow Down

Unread postby The Silence » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm

One of my sets involves a stand I have set up on a drainage with a narrow line of trees on one side of it. There is a strip of CRP on either side of the drainage which the deer use as travel corridors.There are distinct trails that they use located 20-25 yards from my stand. Sometimes the animals coming from the south are cruising along at a pretty good pace. I was thinking about digging a hole and sticking a small tree in it in order to set up a mock scrape. I'm hoping they would get in the habit of stopping by when they use the CRP as a travel corridor. Just wondering what you guys think? I'm also limited in how far I can swing my bow to the left so having something they get distracted with would help with this as well.

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Getting Deer to Slow Down

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Might be a good spot to put in a horizontal rub ala Ted Miller. I think he uses a scotch pine branch.
You can check out his stuff on YouTube and the Hunting Public.

You would have to bury two vertical posts to lash the branch to if you don't have a tree handy.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”