Some thoughts on hunting in the rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

weatherdude

Some thoughts on hunting in the rain

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 am

I did a short podcast on some things I've learned about hunting in the rain.

https://huntthefrontwx.com/2018/06/20/h ... -the-rain/

A video is coming soon talking about plans for the next few months and into the season. Wont be long now!! :dance:

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Some thoughts on hunting in the rain

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am

Good listen
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

Nice! :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I really don't hunt in rain anymore. Only way you will catch me out there is if. I wanted to hunt before it set in or I wanted be in tree just as it was ending.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:39 am

:clap: Nice!

Ghost Hunter wrote:I really don't hunt in rain anymore. Only way you will catch me out there is if. I wanted to hunt before it set in or I wanted be in tree just as it was ending.

This is the point I am at, as well.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 am

Rain sucks. I'll sit it during the rut, but not otherwise unless maybe if it's rained all day and I can get to a green field for an evening hunt.

Good podcast tho.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 am

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I love hunting a light rain with a temp drop. It washes away scent, provides some sound cover, and in my experience, seems to get bucks on their feet. If it happens late October I won't miss it. During the rain or immediately following it, bucks in particular seem to move. I have killed 3 bucks with my muzzleloader in these exact conditions. I have a tree umbrella and rain gear for this specific reason.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Abishai wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I love hunting a light rain with a temp drop. It washes away scent, provides some sound cover, and in my experience, seems to get bucks on their feet. If it happens late October I won't miss it. During the rain or immediately following it, bucks in particular seem to move. I have killed 3 bucks with my muzzleloader in these exact conditions. I have a tree umbrella and rain gear for this specific reason.

I'm with this guy.

Down here if you don't hunt the rain and or high wind days your missing out on some of the best most productive time to be in the woods, no matter the time of the season.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:
Abishai wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I love hunting a light rain with a temp drop. It washes away scent, provides some sound cover, and in my experience, seems to get bucks on their feet. If it happens late October I won't miss it. During the rain or immediately following it, bucks in particular seem to move. I have killed 3 bucks with my muzzleloader in these exact conditions. I have a tree umbrella and rain gear for this specific reason.

I'm with this guy.

Down here if you don't hunt the rain and or high wind days your missing out on some of the best most productive time to be in the woods, no matter the time of the season.

Agreed!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 pm

I really enjoy hunting in a light rain and it’s just so relaxing to me not to mention bucks like to move in it especially during the rut. Of course really good rain gear is required otherwise it would be miserable.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:32 am

Got a story

Last season, opening week I had one of the primest sits iv ever had in a spot. Was hunting one of the biggest bucks iv had a chance at, access wasnt great but wind was so perfect. Forecast had 40% chance of rain but storms rolled in 2 hr before dark. I fought some very light rain for awhile in stand and then things got awesome! The rain stopped. I was getting real excited for prime time but nothing moved...not even a doe. It was in between light rain and a massive storm. One of the hardest things to do was climb down with 20 mins of shooting light left. Found myself running from the storm coming and high jumping chest tall beans to get out - 3/4 of a mile of full running, all out storming and all my gear. At the time it was horrible exp but after I got home it was funny and a crazy good time. I just told myself most other guys arent doing that and even though I wasnt successful I was "in the game".

After all that id much rather walk to my spot while its raining and be there for when it stops.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Got a story

Last season, opening week I had one of the primest sits iv ever had in a spot. Was hunting one of the biggest bucks iv had a chance at, access wasnt great but wind was so perfect. Forecast had 40% chance of rain but storms rolled in 2 hr before dark. I fought some very light rain for awhile in stand and then things got awesome! The rain stopped. I was getting real excited for prime time but nothing moved...not even a doe. It was in between light rain and a massive storm. One of the hardest things to do was climb down with 20 mins of shooting light left. Found myself running from the storm coming and high jumping chest tall beans to get out - 3/4 of a mile of full running, all out storming and all my gear. At the time it was horrible exp but after I got home it was funny and a crazy good time. I just told myself most other guys arent doing that and even though I wasnt successful I was "in the game".

After all that id much rather walk to my spot while its raining and be there for when it stops.

I love doing stuff like that. I had a full on circus getting across a creek in December this past season. I did't have waders on and the creek was chest deep. It was way too cold to get wet and sit for another 4 hours. So I got across on a small limb to get to the spot but it broke on the way. I managed to stay dry but then I had to find another way back. I ended up finding a large tree limb that hung across the creek but it was about 6 feet above the water. The creek was around 15-20 feet across. I had all my gear on my back and my bow in hand. I ended up getting about 2/3 of the way across before my treestand swayed and I started to lose balance. So I made a couple quick steps and jumped. Ended up busting up my toes pretty good from the jump but I was sure laughing at myself. I've found better ways to cross that creek since then. But it sure was a good time. Some of the most fun I've had coming back from a hunt.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am

I freaking love hunting in the rain.

Makes me feel as tho I have the entire woods to myself without consequence.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 am

Hunting in the light rain is great! Makes me feel like a ninja. Walking in so silent. Especially if it's been raining all day, and it end an hour before dark. It seems that every deer in the woods is on the move!

Before or after a big front is also prime time!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 am

Rain allows me to get in spots that I couldn't hunt in dry conditions. I'll hunt in the rain as much as I can unless it's a toad strangler.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”