post-kill load out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: post-kill load out

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:51 am

Jonny wrote:In all seriousness, I know I am always willing to help a beast drag one out, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Not to mention having company makes it better. Nothing sucks more than a drag in the pitch dark by yourself.

We are a pretty close knit group of guys who all share the same goals. Odds are if you need help dragging one, there is another beast close by who can help, and honestly id trust most guys here to help me if I needed it. Especially somebody who has been around here for awhile. I drag my deer up north by myself, but that’s because I have family members who can’t stand somebody else shooting deer and would take my spots the first chance they could.

There is no shame in asking for help. At some point, everybody is gonna need it. Might be hard to admit it, but nobody will look down on you for asking for help.

How far are you willing to travel? :lol:

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 am

Twenty Up wrote:https://youtu.be/FntqOrMKjQ4

This link may come in handy... the guys also a public land, trad killer and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a Beast Member.

Nonetheless if legal, this method is how I’ll be going about it from now on. Because after all of my longer drags, I’ve NEVER said “that wasn’t bad”.

Work smarter, not harder gentlemen

If I shot deer the size of the one in this video, I'd for certain just throw them over my shoulder, not even trying to be a smart alec. That thing can't weigh 75 pounds dressed. I'm also no willing to leave that much meat in the field.
rbuck

Unread postby rbuck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 am

Jet sled with a Glen's deer handle works well. Dragged my buck out all by myself last year with this combo. Easy no, but definitely manageable. Have a small tarp with to wrap around the antlers to prevent them from getting stuck on logs or tall grass.

I keep all my gear in 2 jet sleds in the back of the truck. I walked back 1 mile to the truck, unloaded my gear, grabbed a jet sled and headed back to get the deer.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:40 am

I keep a block and tackle type hoist in the truck all season. If needed, I can climb a tree near the truck and hang it, back the truck up close, then hoist the deer up high enough to get him in the back, then let him down......works pretty slick.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:06 am

A5BLASTER wrote:I have the sherpa cart conversion for my climbing stand plus a big plastic sled I can load them on for the drag out.

Still a workout but it's how it has to be since we have to check them in whole guts included on my fav wma land I hunt.

The real pain is making sure my tag doesn't cone off the deer while getting it home, since I can't move the deer from where it fell without it being tagged.

I put my tag in a small ziploc ,fold it then wrap it with electrical tape around the base of the rack . It pretty tough to lose and won't get wet .
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:16 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:
NEbowman wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:I won't hunt that far in during shotgun season. Law here in MA is they have to come out whole and go to a check station. But archery or black powder, quarter them up....
I don't have any help.... So... I do what I gotta do.

Do we really have to check all deer from shotgun season in person? I'm pretty sure we can still check them online and as soon as they are checked we can begin processing. That's the way I've always read the law anyway.

Negative. During shotgun season must be checked in person. Deer must be whole. Although looks like they changed it to just week one now - which is an improvement and news to me so I'm glad I checked for you.
http://www.eregulations.com/massachuset ... r-hunting/

Tagging and checking requirements: Upon killing a deer hunters must immediately fill out and detach paper tag from permit/license and attach tag to deer prior to moving it, and then must check/report their harvest within 48 hours by EITHER 1) reporting online and writing the harvest confirmation number on the tag attached to the deer, or 2) checking the deer at an official check station. EXCEPTION: All deer harvested during the first week of the shotgun season must be brought to an official check station. Until checked/reported, the deer or part of deer must remain open to view during transport AND must remain intact or whole (deer may be field-dressed, but not butchered, skinned, or taken to a taxidermist for mounting).

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/de ... egulations

You must bring all deer harvested during the first week of shotgun season to an official check station for biological data collection.

The game must remain intact,(other than field dressing), with the harvest tag attached until it is reported. Once reported, the metal seal or harvest tag with confirmation number must remain attached to the carcass until prepared for food or taxidermy purposes.

Thanks for clarifying. I've never shot one during that week in Mass, so no big deal. Part of my reason for skinning and quartering in the woods is I have no place to do a full break down of a deer. I live in an apartment with other tenants in the building, so I bring quarters into the apartment using a large cooler, then get to butchering.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 am

NEbowman wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:
NEbowman wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:I won't hunt that far in during shotgun season. Law here in MA is they have to come out whole and go to a check station. But archery or black powder, quarter them up....
I don't have any help.... So... I do what I gotta do.

Do we really have to check all deer from shotgun season in person? I'm pretty sure we can still check them online and as soon as they are checked we can begin processing. That's the way I've always read the law anyway.

Negative. During shotgun season must be checked in person. Deer must be whole. Although looks like they changed it to just week one now - which is an improvement and news to me so I'm glad I checked for you.
http://www.eregulations.com/massachuset ... r-hunting/

Tagging and checking requirements: Upon killing a deer hunters must immediately fill out and detach paper tag from permit/license and attach tag to deer prior to moving it, and then must check/report their harvest within 48 hours by EITHER 1) reporting online and writing the harvest confirmation number on the tag attached to the deer, or 2) checking the deer at an official check station. EXCEPTION: All deer harvested during the first week of the shotgun season must be brought to an official check station. Until checked/reported, the deer or part of deer must remain open to view during transport AND must remain intact or whole (deer may be field-dressed, but not butchered, skinned, or taken to a taxidermist for mounting).

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/de ... egulations

You must bring all deer harvested during the first week of shotgun season to an official check station for biological data collection.

The game must remain intact,(other than field dressing), with the harvest tag attached until it is reported. Once reported, the metal seal or harvest tag with confirmation number must remain attached to the carcass until prepared for food or taxidermy purposes.

Thanks for clarifying. I've never shot one during that week in Mass, so no big deal. Part of my reason for skinning and quartering in the woods is I have no place to do a full break down of a deer. I live in an apartment with other tenants in the building, so I bring quarters into the apartment using a large cooler, then get to butchering.

Just make sure to follow the rules. We live in a state that has "suitability" and "may issue" LTCs for firearms. If you violate hunting regs during gun season the chief can use it to yank your LTC. Not worth the headache. Just stay close to the truck that week if you don't have help you can lean on to get it out. Firearm licenses are a big enough PITA here. Don't give them cause or reason to opt not to issue.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:00 pm

if i can pick up the deer i throw it over my shoulders and start walking if that dont work stick rope pull. with the bear problem nj has you cant leave your deer you have to just get it out or risk loosing it. for bear its in the pack or sled as long as i bring all the pieces including the bone im legal. killing a buck is the hard part you have the rest of the season to get it out. i just take my time and reflect on the whole experience and all its glory.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”