Biggest weakness

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Biggest weakness

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:19 am

magicman54494 wrote:My biggest weakness (even though I dont see it as a,weakness but I think most others would) is I just dont feel the need to kill stuff anymore.
I have worked a lifetime to get good at killing big bucks and now that Im getting pretty good at it it just isnt that important anymore.
In years past I would push myself to total exhaustion and punish my body to extremes like sit in brutal cold and damn near freeze to death.
I still love to be in the woods and Im actually more successful now than ever but I no longer suffer to succeed. It is liberating being comfortable with quitting early on a brutally cold day or sleeping in when I am tired.
There are days where I will get off of stand and do a little scouting if I get bored. I will take a day off if I feel the need.
Some would say I have lost my edge or am no longer hard core. im not sure. I know I am more relaxed and enjoy my hunting more than ever and bucks keep hitting the ground so Ill continue to exploit my weakness!

It sounds like overfiftysyndromeitis

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 am

Only been bowhunting for 4 years. Been on the Beast for 4.5 years. Yeah, my knowledge base is significantly greater than my exerience in the field. Saturated you might say. So it takes time to confirm what you learn.

Many of my tactical decisions are more like first time leaps of faith based on book wormin it, rather than seeing it first hand. I just try to have an organized approach and get better every year. I compensate my lack of years hunting with a ton of tree and scouting time all season long.

So like any weakness , try to turn it into a strength.

Chad
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 am

I worry about being too aggressive to the point that I know I’m not aggressive enough.
Vtbowhunter3

Unread postby Vtbowhunter3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 am

I’d say mine are sometimes not paying attention to the little details! I’m working on that!
Gesell23
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... %5D=12.%7B"unit_id_click_type"%3A"g

Unread postby Gesell23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:18 am

I didn't think I wpuld get this many responses. Also find it interesting the range of where we feel we do have a weakness. Most are completely different. I suppose that human nature, we are ready all different. I think in the end, most of us have very similar weaknesses. Small details, believing what we see, and slowing down.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 am

Bowfisher wrote:Overthinking. I’m an engineering student, and have always been very detail oriented, so I analyze everything. Which definitely has its moments of helpfulness, but I’ve caught myself times before just racking my brain about a deer, trying to analyze every single little detail, and sometimes I have to remind myself that even that 5+ year old buck is just an animal. That has helped me have success before. I think sometimes we need to simplify things, or I do, atleast.

"Paralysis by analysis!" I definitely have this struggle as well. And what do you know...I'm an engineer too. :think:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:52 am

Shooting. Both bow and gun.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Only been bowhunting for 4 years. Been on the Beast for 4.5 years. Yeah, my knowledge base is significantly greater than my exerience in the field. Saturated you might say. So it takes time to confirm what you learn.

Many of my tactical decisions are more like first time leaps of faith based on book wormin it, rather than seeing it first hand. I just try to have an organized approach and get better every year. I compensate my lack of years hunting with a ton of tree and scouting time all season long.

So like any weakness , try to turn it into a strength.

Chad

Sounds like to me, you are on the fast track to success!
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:02 am

My biggest weakness is staying calm and picking the right spot with the bow at the moment of truth. I always feel rushed even when I shouldn't.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:45 am

Fidgeting when I get comfortable or during slow times. Sometimes I talk myself into going to the next spot.. when patience is what was needed.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:02 am

I think my personal biggest weakness the last few years anyways, is getting so caught up in specific deer. I love to chase a animal I have some history with but also find myself having a hard time letting go of them and moving on to others. Causes me to push the limits on getting in certain areas maybe a little too often. Something I’m trying to work on but I still have a lot of work yet to do there.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 am

Biggest weaknesses
Reverting back to old habits
Forgetting to think outside the box
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 am

Time and responsibilities
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:20 am

My biggest weakness is definitely sleeping in stand. But I mean, it's the best sleep I get all year so can you blame me? :lol:
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am

Paying to much attention to nockturnal sign and getting attached to a specific buck and overhunting that area that he is located in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”