To Hang/Not Hang Cameras Near Suspected Bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

perchsoup

Re: To Hang/Not Hang Cameras Near Suspected Bedding?

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am

I only have one camera that still works. I put it 15 ft high, 20 ft back and overlooking a bed I had questions about. I put it up in April. I'll grab it some time when I hunt the bed this fall. To me, it's just a cool experiment. I've forced myself to learn and get better since I quit using cameras and spending so much time checking them.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:https://youtu.be/6JttQrV1Sgk

Nice vidoes buckpsych. 8-)

Thnks bro.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

perchsoup wrote:I only have one camera that still works. I put it 15 ft high, 20 ft back and overlooking a bed I had questions about. I put it up in April. I'll grab it some time when I hunt the bed this fall. To me, it's just a cool experiment. I've forced myself to learn and get better since I quit using cameras and spending so much time checking them.

I think that is a good way to improve you woodmenship. I only have two cams left and i only have one out. Im starting to get to where i dont want to fool with them as much. Pre beast i really enjoyed checking them. Ive learned my lesson and have gradually stepped away from them. But may put one in a deep rmote funnel or something just to have a little extra intel if needed. Id just rather be scouting, just take a surprize on how big a buck is when i see him., hopefully it will help some with buck fever cause i dont know whats goin to show up?
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Another note.. I’ll hang cameras on remote access points where there aren’t any other pull-offs to determine hunter pressure. Not directly related towards bedding but it’s a major factor.

Determining Buck bedding is becoming easier to me now, hunter pressure is a different animal.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
perchsoup wrote:I only have one camera that still works. I put it 15 ft high, 20 ft back and overlooking a bed I had questions about. I put it up in April. I'll grab it some time when I hunt the bed this fall. To me, it's just a cool experiment. I've forced myself to learn and get better since I quit using cameras and spending so much time checking them.

I think that is a good way to improve you woodmenship. I only have two cams left and i only have one out. Im starting to get to where i dont want to fool with them as much. Pre beast i really enjoyed checking them. Ive learned my lesson and have gradually stepped away from them. But may put one in a deep rmote funnel or something just to have a little extra intel if needed. Id just rather be scouting, just take a surprize on how big a buck is when i see him., hopefully it will help some with buck fever cause i dont know whats goin to show up?

Good points. For me, cameras have always had me hunting behind the deer. I always got really excited to see a big buck show up. But, that was usually the only pic of him and of course I'd never seem him hunting. Those cameras weren't placed in the best spots for hunting, in hindsight, but they still had me hunting behind the deer. Now that I have a little better idea where the deer should be hunted and where a camera would make sense, it would still have me hunting behind them if I wanted to apply that intel to this year. But cameras can still be fun and learning for other reasons I guess if you have them.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Here's a photo I shamefully brag about because well, look at him! :lol:
But I learned a lot. This photo is 500 yards from his bed, but I never got another photo of him. Because of this I use cameras loosely and care more about hiding them than finding the best angle for a good photo. And i only use them on exit trails near funnels.

You could use the cell ones, but you'll never see me use one. I've heard of a lot of hunters killing monster bucks because they had photos sent to their phone showing the buck they are chasing is on a does tail. Some people find that to be okay, and if you do that, nothing against you. I just prefer not to, I see it as "cheating" in a way. And the challenge is a big drive for me.

But you can't beat the knowledge you gain. I loved putting mine in video mode, it was col watching how a mature buck looks up every 20 seconds or so at least. Or watching a raccoon charging some doe over corn (if this is the setup you go for). Or seeing a bachelor group come in and see the alpha kick the other guys out. Trail cams are awesome for learning with when you don't have the time to study the deer yourself.

I'd stay away from those beds tho!
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”