Getting better?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are you getting better at hunting big bucks?

Yes
83%
NO. Getting worse
5%
Staying the same
12%

Total votes: 138
hambone
500 Club

Re: Getting better?

Unread postby hambone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Although I've been hunting a long time, I am getting better, because I continue to learn from the deer, and my experiences while keeping an open mind.

Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Unread postby Kane0928 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm getting better, reason being I'm understanding why I have luck what to look for. This website and all its members have helped broaden my understanding of hunting by thinking why instead if my old inexperienced ways of eventually one will come thru. Since this website I've gone mobile and have had more encounters and better luck then anyone that's taught me to hunt or I still hunt with. In terms of beast set ups I still have alot to go, but understanding of why I've made alot of progress.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Noticeably better. I’m able to utilize what minimal time I have to locate, pattern and hunt mature bucks. Efficiency kills bucks for blue collar hunters
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 pm

I think I’m always getting better. Learning is a lifelong thing and I will continue to get better every single season. I look back where I started and it’s pretty amazing how far I have come. My opportunities are increasing every year. Now I just need to learn how to capitalize on those opportunities with more consistency.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Better. A few years back I stepped away from what my hunting buddies were doing and starting really thinking more for myself. At about the same time I hit a stage in my hunting career where I didn't NEED to shoot a buck every year . I wanted to hunt and wait until I saw the right buck, even if that meant eating a tag.

I scout a lot more now and that has helped with my increase in big buck encounters.

I also feel like I'm learning from the right people now. Listening to Dan and other Beast members has taught me a lot. Reading books by guys like Greg Miller, John Eberhart, Brad Herndon etc...All these guys get the job done wherever they hunt (often on high pressure public) and a lot of them mention the same underlying tactics.

I still get my but kicked by big bucks, but I've also had more success and my confidence has gone up. I keep an open mind and realize you can never stop learning.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm

I've been struggling the past 2-3 years, was pretty successful the years prior pushing bedding areas not hunting buck beds but hunting general bedding areas, then I jumped into hunting beds and think I'm pushing in too close and not stealthy enough. I'm going to revert back this year and see how it changes.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I’ve gotten better at hunting in general. So whatever that amounts to. Success is based on time put in to something, and how well you use that time. So I’m still learning how to use my time, while fighting issues that don’t give me much time.

You get out what you put in. Read posts from guys who have been here a long time and have had great success, and it’s very obvious why they have that success.

My focus right now isn’t hunting, my success reflects my effort towards it. So yes, I have gotten better at hunting.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 pm

I feel like I'm getting better?!?! I'm more confident, every time I sit. I scout more & smarter. I have many more quality spots to sit. It's only a matter of time before I catch-up to a mature buck!

I also practice with my bow more. I'm a better shot, with a longer effective range.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 pm

I am getting a lot better with my strategies and being in the right spots but getting worse at putting the time in due to being a new dad. Overall, getting better though i'd say.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:07 am

Absolutely, from scouting to fine tuning setups to figuring out areas that have puzzled me in the past, it is all coming together and has been coming together for many years. I pick up new things every season and sometimes things that have happened in past seasons or even pre-beast make more sense. Scouting is easier and far more productive than it use to be and I am loving every minute I am in the woods. Kids will be bow hunting age in few short years, then we can really start tackling all the scouting time I have put in, the bucks are in trouble.
crustyhunts

Unread postby crustyhunts » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 am

Joined the beast this year. Started applying beast tactics in the off season to scouting. I’m becoming worlds better at finding beds, as far as big buck beds Ah I dont think haha. Going to keep applying beast method all summer!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:26 am

Worse.

3 kids.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 am

Voted getting better. For me it is keep scouting every spring and add a couple dynamite spots to the . Also I have concentrated on having fun and hunting smarter. Sounds weird but now that I have children I hunt much harder. Have to make every minute in the woods count.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 am

I believe I've gotten much better over the last few years as I have applied tactics learned here. I've consistently seen bigger and killed bigger bucks every year. I didn't kill last season, but I learned a lot and had a really big buck just out of range on a going in blind hunt on predicted leeward bedding. This site has been such an awesome resource for every aspect of hunting. Everything from DIY stuff, classified sales, tactics and tips...there is just nothing else out there like this site. Anyone who spends a fair amount of time studying this site each year and applying the lessons will for sure get better! One thing that I did was kind of like learning how to shoot in boot camp...just completely forget everything you know about shooting and submit yourself to their way. That basically what I did when I got on the beast years ago. It was very hard to give up all the bad habits but it's so worth it!
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:05 am

Been bow hunting 2 full years. First year I got skunked, but had some nice encounters but just out of range. My setups were based on info gathered through the beast, but I was just not setting up correctly in relation to sign, and more importantly the wind. Spring from year 1 to 2, I scounted even more, studied my areas with intent, and played attention to the wind. Shot a 2.5 y.o. 6 point, no brow tines, which is a decent buck for my area but not a mature stud...however, its a learning process that comes in small steps, not leaps. Had another run in with a more mature 8 a few days after killing the 6 but was tagged out on bucks. Needless to say, this spring I scouted harder, and I have the mindset that I am going to kill a dandy this year.

Things learned from the beast and actual bow hunting...
1 - there is absolutely no substitute for scouting, it is a must. The more you know and understand your area the better you will get.
2 - the art of hunting is not static, but fluid and dynamic. You must observe, assess, and adapt to the changes you are witnessing.
3 - Mobility is so important. Without it, there is no way to stay in the game. Sure u may have a great permanent stand that u kill one out of first sit of the year, but after that you are in trouble. Leads people to get down and wander through their woods "still hunting" for action. All this does is spread more scent and diminish the property. Stand hunting trumps all IMO, unless you have a ground set up, which can still be very productive. Regardless, be methodical in your approach and be mobile.
4 - all of my greatest encounters havr been near some form of bedding...end of story
5 - always play the wind!!!!! Wind trumps all..
6 - have fun, life is a gift

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”