How Often Do You Shoot in the Off-Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How often do you shoot your bow in off season?

3-5x plus per week.
46%
1x per week.
12%
Maybe a couple times a month.
19%
Oh crap, season's starting, I better fling a few!
24%

Total votes: 102
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: How Often Do You Shoot in the Off-Season?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:58 am

Probably not as often as I should. Couple times per week at my home range. That's only 10 yards though. But I can at least work on form and paper tune, etc. I have to get out to the gun club to practice at longer distances. I should do that more. This year I bought a new muzzleloader too. In tinkering with that right now. But the bow is well-tuned so I don't need to do anything sitting there. I replaced the strings last year and they haven't is stretched.

J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

I voted a few times per month, as it can go from 3-4 times one week to not at all for 2, then back again. I've been shooting my whole life, and all my bows for the last 14 years have been similar specs and setups, so not much changes so long as the bow is in tune
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am

Year round! Winter months 1-2 times per week but when the weather is nice, I'll shoot everyday.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 am

I shoot 3-5 times a week year around. That’s the one skill I have as a hunter so I just try to keep it that way. Now I don’t shoot many arrows. Just a few almost daily.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 am

Last 4-yesrs it's the latter :hand:

Although I now locate stands 10 yards closer cause I can't see sh--
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 am

I have 3 kids under 2 so right now it's only a couple times a month. When we get closer to deer season I will really ramp it up.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 am

I use to shoot every week, multiple times a week. This year has been more of a challenge as I have a 6 month old and a wife that wants me home instead of at the range. In the process now of changing my shot set up (keeping both eye open) so it has been a little rough this summer. Going out to buy a pack so I can tote the little guy around on my back at the shoots.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:42 am

I shoot everyday, but that is because I love shooting bows. I shoot multiple quality shots, I dont fling arrows just for the fun of it. I have a mantra that I use while shooting and make notes in my phone of any form issues I may be going through. I respectfully disagree with the one only arrow practice method. I personally think most that use the one shot method are avoiding confronting form and target panic issues. The form or panic issue may not creep up during one a day shot practice, but it will definitely rear its head with a deer heart as the 10 ring.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Today I did supersets of 75 push ups, 150 squats, and 230 reps of abdominals. Went right to my bow to see how my body would react shooting. First shot was about 4 inches left from 20yds. Second closer. Third a bullseye. First time I’ve ever tried this
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 am

I shoot recurve a lot this time of year...........aerial, moving targets, and general dynamic shooting. That said I hunt compound and I get a few rounds in per week. Soon I will add a climb to shoot elevated.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 am

Hawthorne wrote:Today I did supersets of 75 push ups, 150 squats, and 230 reps of abdominals. Went right to my bow to see how my body would react shooting. First shot was about 4 inches left from 20yds. Second closer. Third a bullseye. First time I’ve ever tried this

Just don't do this before you shoot your buck, and you'll be fine :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Today I did supersets of 75 push ups, 150 squats, and 230 reps of abdominals. Went right to my bow to see how my body would react shooting. First shot was about 4 inches left from 20yds. Second closer. Third a bullseye. First time I’ve ever tried this

Just don't do this before you shoot your buck, and you'll be fine :lol:

To train for hunting out west I used to run through the 3D course from target to target shooting with my heart rate and breathing maxed out. That was great for spot and stalk especially when you had to hussle to cut them off from long distance. Shooting this way is extremely tough but there is no better training for taking stressful shots. These days I’m getting too old for that stuff. :lol:
Gesell23
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... %5D=12.%7B"unit_id_click_type"%3A"g

Unread postby Gesell23 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 am

I try to shoot everyday, in a and out of season. But that doesn't happen, life is busy I do get in at minimum 3 good sessions a week though
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:41 pm

I shoot almost every day, year round. I also think it's important to shoot your back up bow on a regular basis if you have one. I have 3 primary bows, none are really a backup. Just depends on which I feel like shootin and or hunting with on any given day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:I shoot almost every day, year round. I also think it's important to shoot your back up bow on a regular basis if you have one. I have 3 primary bows, none are really a backup. Just depends on which I feel like shootin and or hunting with on any given day.

Great point. Having at least one back up bow that you shoot well with is very important. Nothing worse than not being able to hunt because your primary bow gets damaged or needs some work. I currently have 7 bows that date back to my first bow a Bear Magnum Hunter from the early 80’s. I have a hard time letting any of them go and still shoot them all from time to time. I would feel comfortable killing a deer with any one of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”