Thank You from Stan's wife

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Thank You from Stan's wife

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I continue to be astounded by all that you guys have posted here about my husband, Stan. I have directed many of our family and friends here so that they too can receive the comfort that your words have given me.

Stanley was exactly the man you all seem to know that he was--wise, insightful, kind, humble, and yes, a fantastic husband, dad and granddad. That is especially hard to accept, that he won't be here to see his grandbabies grow up. He suffered from heart disease for 20 years and tried so hard to take care of himself so he could be here for all of us. We knew he most likely did not have another 10 years left, but we surely did not expect his tired old heart to give out now. I am grateful that Stan got one last great hunt in, that he enjoyed this forum so much, that he valued every single day of his life, and I am especially thankful that we got to have him for as long as we did.

I miss his silly pranks--had to laugh at all of you describing his dead-pan expression, because believe me, he was a prankster of the highest order and had the most unique sense of humor! But to have him smile for a photo? Not happening. The crocs? That you all noticed them really cracks me up! He broke a toe in the Coast Guard and it healed pretty crooked. Those crocs were the only thing comfortable for him to wear and I swear, he would have worn them hunting if he could have. They are sitting by the back door, like always. Our little granddaughter was here for the weekend, and she would take off her shoes and park them right next to those crocs. And that silly old red and white stocking cap was a gift from at least 40 years ago. I must have thrown it away a dozen times, only to find him wearing it again. It is right here with me forever.

I miss him. Oh, do I miss him. I come here to read and reread his posts and all that you guys have written about him, and it helps. I truthfully cannot believe he did the podcast, because he was such a humble man, but oh, am I glad I can hear his voice and some of his much-used expressions.

So THANK YOU, Hunting BEAST family, for the flowers and the blanket but most of all, for so kindly expressing how you feel about my Stan. You have taught me the importance of writing to the family of those who have lost loved ones in death. Your outpouring of love and support are so, so comforting, and I will try hard to put this lesson into practice. Stan would expect no less of me.

Sincerely, Jan

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Re: Thank You from Stan's wife

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 pm

I am glad you posted, it is an extremely difficult time and I know many of us here are comforted in the fact you still log in with his account and read things.

Many years ago Stan shopped at my dad's archery shop, over by Baldwin, and though I dont remember him (I was quite young) he said he remembered me tearing around the shop. When my dad passed a few years ago Stan sent me a hat my dad gave him when Stan bought a bow. It was out of the first stock of hats my dad had printed and he hand drew it all up for the printer. To be honest, the hat smells something fierce, but it serves as a reminder as to what can be here one day and gone the next.

God bless you and your family Jan.

Matt Watters
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Thank you for posting Jan. Stan sure did mean a lot to a bunch of guys that never had the chance to meet him in person, but we all knew through here and I’m glad we had him. I’ve listened to the podcast he did many times, I really enjoy listening to him. He will be truly missed.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 pm

:cry: thanks for posting Jan...
We surely will miss stan

( I'm smiling you just cant tell ;) :cry: )
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Good to hear from you Jan. Glad you can take comfort from reading what everyone has posted along with the many things Stan did here including his podcast. He touched so many here in a positive way and he will never be forgotten. His posts will always guide us and I for one know his wise quotes will be in my head during this coming hunting season and I honestly feel part of him will be with all of us.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Stanley wrote:
I miss him. Oh, do I miss him. I come here to read and reread his posts and all that you guys have written about him, and it helps. I truthfully cannot believe he did the podcast, because he was such a humble man, but oh,

am I glad I can hear his voice and some of his much-used expressions

I shed a tear reading this
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm

I’ve learned a great deal from his posts and am thankful he decided to share his knowledge with us all.

Thank you for posting Jan.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm

I think the thing that stood out to me the most about Stan was after reading a thread Stan posted. He was talking about how much he liked hunting on real windy days. I think Stan only intended his statement to help describe his hunting conditions for one of the bucks he killed. When I read it from Stan, I interpreted it as a tip from a veteran buck hunter.

You better believe I'm gonna take his advice and try to hunt all the high wind days possible! Thank you for posting Jan please stay in touch.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:
I miss him. Oh, do I miss him. I come here to read and reread his posts and all that you guys have written about him, and it helps. I truthfully cannot believe he did the podcast, because he was such a humble man, but oh,

am I glad I can hear his voice and some of his much-used expressions

I shed a tear reading this

I did too,
Make It Happen
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 pm

My condolences Jan, your Stan will be very much missed around these parts.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting this. Stan was really one of a kind. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t shed a tear or two during this. Never met him, but really was somebody I always looked up to as a hunter, and as a human being. Still kind of in disbelief that he isn’t here anymore. Just doesn’t seem real.

He will be missed, but his knowledge shared will be cherished here
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Jan,

So glad you posted, and happy to hear it is helping in your mourning process.

Stan is a legend here, and will not soon be forgotten. Hope you join in every so often.

Any chance you have some GPS coordinates, just kidding, hope not too early for that. I would need more than Stan's spots to kill his bucks.

Godspeed
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm

I am thankful you are finding comfort here. And having a podcast to listen to is much better than replaying an answering machine message. Best wishes.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks Jan, for sharing him with us!

Stan was someone who I would read carefully his every word, carefully considering his advice. But then he would also post something like "never trust a fart past age 60".

Who knows, maybe I will find that to be great advice too...

And the "angry Santa murders Roudolph" picture is a classic.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Tough read. Hit home. Miss ya Stanley.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”