Interesting graphic on deer population

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Interesting graphic on deer population

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:04 am

I know a group of guys that just hammered the does on a big lease for years. Now they struggle to see does let alone shoot one and they’re complaining.They see more bucks than does now. The QDMA writers preached shooting does for along time. I’ve noticed the same writers now contradicting what they were saying 10 years ago

Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:17 am

Hawthorne wrote:I know a group of guys that just hammered the does on a big lease for years. Now they struggle to see does let alone shoot one and they’re complaining.They see more bucks than does now. The QDMA writers preached shooting does for along time. I’ve noticed the same writers now contradicting what they were saying 10 years ago

You have to understand the context of the QDMA and their stance on shooting does. They originated in the south where deer populations were high and deer were damaging habitat. QDMA has always been about shooting the right number of does and changing the culture of shooting a little buck before a doe, especially in areas that need doe harvest.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 am

Im hope full that the area I hunt in can support me harvesting a doe If I have the opportunity. I shot a doe last year. I missed a doe in a different county but I wouldnt shoot more than one off the main farm I hunt.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 am

I was listening to a recent Land and Legacy podcast where they talked about a species' ability to populate correlated with their place on the food chain. It was interesting and makes sense. Animals that have tons of babies do so because a ton of them won't make it and it's their way of ensuring the enough will make it to a breeding age.

I can't pretend to know enough about a given area to say how many does could or should be removed. I've never really hunted in an area that was so overpopulated that browse was hard to come by. I did hunt WI through the EAB period and afterwards and remember the impact that had. Lower deer density also means more available food and cover for the individuals that are out there. The way I look at it is simply to use my best judgement with the amount of tags available. I'd rather have a full freezer, so I'm more prone to travel to hunt areas with better densities or lots of sign and tags. The metro hunts have also been a fantastic opportunity.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 am

I havnt harvested the venison of a doe with my bow in a LONG time. I probably only killed 3 or 4 does my entire life. My Dad will be 62 soon, he's only killed 3 deer his entire life (all does).

My main hunting area has been buck only the last 4 years or so ,,, and I am seeing a higher population now.

I don't get many opportunities so I doubt im gonna pass on a doe.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:24 am

john1984 wrote:I havnt harvested the venison of a doe with my bow in a LONG time. I probably only killed 3 or 4 does my entire life. My Dad will be 62 soon, he's only killed 3 deer his entire life (all does).

My main hunting area has been buck only the last 4 years or so ,,, and I am seeing a higher population now.

I don't get many opportunities so I doubt im gonna pass on a doe.

They are offering more tags this year in the forest, except wood county. 25 tags this year. Unreal
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I was listening to a recent Land and Legacy podcast where they talked about a species' ability to populate correlated with their place on the food chain. It was interesting and makes sense. Animals that have tons of babies do so because a ton of them won't make it and it's their way of ensuring the enough will make it to a breeding age.

I can't pretend to know enough about a given area to say how many does could or should be removed. I've never really hunted in an area that was so overpopulated that browse was hard to come by. I did hunt WI through the EAB period and afterwards and remember the impact that had. Lower deer density also means more available food and cover for the individuals that are out there. The way I look at it is simply to use my best judgement with the amount of tags available. I'd rather have a full freezer, so I'm more prone to travel to hunt areas with better densities or lots of sign and tags. The metro hunts have also been a fantastic opportunity.

This is so true. This spring there was a huge die off of robins due to heavy snow cover and cold temps causing starvation. Any other year I have only one nest on my property which usually produces only two little ones on average. This year I had two nests with one having four and the other having five little ones that just left the nest this week. It’s amazing how the species knows when to increase their young. It was obviously in response to making up for the huge losses. Seems deer do the same and see many more twins and even a few triplets when the population is way down and conditions are right. It’s amazing how quick they can recover when everything is favorable.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”