Locating the big guy at the culvert. Kind of.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scratchman

Locating the big guy at the culvert. Kind of.

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 am

Coming from a state that is not known for big deer, I have had much trouble in the past locating big bucks. Last year I tried a new scouting process with some success. It did not lead to a BB on the ground but it put me in the game. I never saw him, but I got to know his sign and track. My Strategy is this: Travel back roads that intersect big timber blocks. In Vermont there is always a creek running through these areas (which leads to the small backwoods coniferous swamps). The way the roads work is that they have to intersect these streams at a perpendicular angle. This becomes important because it make the road curve as it descends into a dip. These are secluded creek bottom corners, perfect places for Mr Solitary to cross without being seen. I fly fish and in the summer will walk up and down from the culvert until I find the crossing or parallel trail. After a rain there is guaranteed to be mud for the prints. I plan to replicate this idea this year in a few of my areas. We’ll see how it goes. Does anyone try anything like this themselves?

"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Hatchetman

Re: Locating the big guy at the culvert. Kind of.

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun May 27, 2018 12:38 am

I've been to VT once . I was around the Burlington area to see my daughter do her masters thesis. I did a little road scouting around that area when I was there. If I'm understanding what you are describing, this is where the roads that will parallel a stream in a valley and sometimes cross at the bottom as it flattens out?
So you are finding trails crossing the road essentially at the valley mouth?

I guess I'd just hang a few TC's on these trails which would give you some very valuable intel as to if, when, and how often a good buck may be using these trails. Even though your seeing tracks in the mud in a valley mouth, i would bet there is a lot of good buck travel route elsewhere up in higher ground where tracks in the dirt are tough to pick up.

Even though rare, I'm sure once in awhile you get an early season snow fall during the rut. Driving these back roads in the higher elevations and looking for buck crossings may work well for locating crusing routes to set up on or again monitor with a TC for a later set up.
I've also found that certain terain driven "century trails" in hill country can be a good place to catch a big buck on, especially in the later part of the rut. Topo map observation is important here to determine ideal travel from point A to point B bedding areas. Again, a TC set at a few of these spots during late rut could be surprising.
This is all rut tactics,otherwise all other tactics keying in on bedding anytime of the season is the foundation to build on.

Sure is beautiful area out there in VT, from the little I saw of it. I am really surprised the population isn't higher with all those oaks, all that area, and no wolves!!

Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”