Hunting Swamp Points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Hunting Swamp Points

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:51 am

Hey Guys,

I know that this definitely covered somewhere in the old tactical threads but I am having trouble remembering which one exactly. I have a scenario in a tamarack swamp. I have a bedding area in between two points on the opposite sides of the swamp. The western point is farther, its roughly 400 yards from the bedding, however this point leads directly to Ag., the Ag. field is roughly 3/4 of a mile from the bedding. The eastern point is only 150 yards from the bedding and about 20 yards in on the eastern point is a large oak that dropped heavy this past season.

With all that said I have two questions:

1. Bucks typically travel up a point when the wind is coming off of the point into the swamp, correct?
2. Any recommendations for setting up on the 400 yard point? Maybe set up in the tamarack on the swamp grass edge between the beds and the point? (I believe it may be to far to set up on the point itself in the hardwoods)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Swamp Points

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Hey Guys,

I know that this definitely covered somewhere in the old tactical threads but I am having trouble remembering which one exactly. I have a scenario in a tamarack swamp. I have a bedding area in between two points on the opposite sides of the swamp. The western point is farther, its roughly 400 yards from the bedding, however this point leads directly to Ag., the Ag. field is roughly 3/4 of a mile from the bedding. The eastern point is only 150 yards from the bedding and about 20 yards in on the eastern point is a large oak that dropped heavy this past season.

With all that said I have two questions:

1. Bucks typically travel up a point when the wind is coming off of the point into the swamp, correct?
2. Any recommendations for setting up on the 400 yard point? Maybe set up in the tamarack on the swamp grass edge between the beds and the point? (I believe it may be to far to set up on the point itself in the hardwoods)

One of my best spots sounds exactly like you just described :think: You hunting Wisconsin? :lol:

False... They travel towards the food or does or where ever they are heading in the evening. In the morning the come in from down wind.

Look at where the beds are... from the bed, Set up should be the 1st spot you can set up in that the bedded buck cant see, smell, or hear you set up at... If its morning you need to be set up down wind or far enough back as to get there travel towards bedding before they bed.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 am

dan wrote:One of my best spots sounds exactly like you just described :think: You hunting Wisconsin? :lol:

Ha... Wisconsin is Beast hunter HQ, no thanks!

dan wrote:False... They travel towards the food or does or where ever they are heading in the evening. In the morning the come in from down wind.

Ahh right, wind is less of a factor exiting the bed. I believe there is a transition i could set up in between the main land and the beds. This is going to be tough one, there is food and does on both points in both directions from the bed.

dan wrote:Look at where the beds are... from the bed, Set up should be the 1st spot you can set up in that the bedded buck cant see, smell, or hear you set up at... If its morning you need to be set up down wind or far enough back as to get there travel towards bedding before they bed.

I think most of my sits in this spot are going to be observation for a bit. There are so many variables. Including confirmation that there is a big buck in the area. This whole swamp did not have a lot buck sign outside of a few sets of large tracks and scat. I am going to revisit once or twice now that the snow is gone and see if some more clues reveal themselves.

Thanks for the follow up.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

If all things are equal, you need to hunt towards the point with the best looking sign on it. Sign doesn't lie. As close as you think you can get in undetected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 am

The spot I was thinking about, last time I hunted there I hunted one side 1st based on how I thought the buck would exit, and he came by... I hunted the other side a few days later and he came by. Both times just out of range. Might be worth two sits if sign justifies.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm going to have to take into account access as well. The west point has better sign, but the access is tough I'll have to cross quite a bit of swamp to get in but its doable.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:32 pm

dan wrote:The spot I was thinking about, last time I hunted there I hunted one side 1st based on how I thought the buck would exit, and he came by... I hunted the other side a few days later and he came by. Both times just out of range. Might be worth two sits if sign justifies.

Have you ever noticed deer moving faster out of there bed if the pressure is way back on the field edge as opposed to the swamp edge? Basically making it further in daylight if there is less pressure, or do they generally only move 70-100 yards or so in daylight?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:
dan wrote:The spot I was thinking about, last time I hunted there I hunted one side 1st based on how I thought the buck would exit, and he came by... I hunted the other side a few days later and he came by. Both times just out of range. Might be worth two sits if sign justifies.

Have you ever noticed deer moving faster out of there bed if the pressure is way back on the field edge as opposed to the swamp edge? Basically making it further in daylight if there is less pressure, or do they generally only move 70-100 yards or so in daylight?

That probably has a lot of variables, however, I would say mature bucks pressure or not don't move far in daylight and you need to be as close as possible. In a swamp situation 100 yards is about where you need to be. Sure some might get farther, but most true mature bucks won't and your putting yourself out of the mature game and into the average buck game by getting farther back.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 am

10-4, thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit.

I'm a little hesitant to do some less aggressive observation sits on the swamp edge for fear he might cut my ground scent at night on his way to food.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:10-4, thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit.

I'm a little hesitant to do some less aggressive observation sits on the swamp edge for fear he might cut my ground scent at night on his way to food.

Dont be hesitant push the envelope and dont be scared to bump deer like dan says get as close as possible within that 100 yards or so. Right outside of the sight smell and hearing
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 pm

If you sit too far back and don't get a shot at the buck during daylight, then you lost your opportunity. If you push to close and spook the buck while he's bedding, then you've lost your opportunity. So, put it this way, when you sit back a little hoping the buck will go father during daylight than he should, you put the chess game in the hands of the deer. BUT, if you move closer to the deer, pushing the envelope, then you risk spooking the deer upon entry. This put the chess game in your hands. As Dan says, you'll never know where that envelope is if you don't push it.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:46 am

Ashreve93 wrote:If you sit too far back and don't get a shot at the buck during daylight, then you lost your opportunity. If you push to close and spook the buck while he's bedding, then you've lost your opportunity. So, put it this way, when you sit back a little hoping the buck will go father during daylight than he should, you put the chess game in the hands of the deer. BUT, if you move closer to the deer, pushing the envelope, then you risk spooking the deer upon entry. This put the chess game in your hands. As Dan says, you'll never know where that envelope is if you don't push it.

Exactly very well said
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:59 am

IMO...The only way to find out how close you can go, is to push the envelope! I would rather push it and maybe bump a buck. Than to regret it after the season saying, "I should have gone closer". Then next season you're in the game, because know what they will tolerate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:24 am

Ashreve93 wrote:If you sit too far back and don't get a shot at the buck during daylight, then you lost your opportunity. If you push to close and spook the buck while he's bedding, then you've lost your opportunity. So, put it this way, when you sit back a little hoping the buck will go father during daylight than he should, you put the chess game in the hands of the deer. BUT, if you move closer to the deer, pushing the envelope, then you risk spooking the deer upon entry. This put the chess game in your hands. As Dan says, you'll never know where that envelope is if you don't push it.

I learned a little about the edge of that envelope during late season/early spring scouting. I bumped deer 6 times. In the cattail marshes i was within 20 yards before they bolted, sound being the biggest give away...no sight and off wind. In the thick timber i was within 30-40 yards, and in the open woods seen him bolting over 100 yards away.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 am

The more I've been thinking about this set up, the easiest way to learn it will be the push it. I think I am going to put a camera on the western point about mid summer. Ideally I'll leave it there and if he bumps, I'd like to see if he heads up that way as an exit route. Based on the location, I think he will.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”