Does anyone scout during the summer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Does anyone scout during the summer?

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Summer is the best time to run trail cameras and take some inventory on your local herd. On ground I'm familiar with, the only tracks I leave are the ones I make running cameras, or, occasionally pre-hanging a stand or two. There are circumstances, however, that leave you with little choice but to scout during summer, like new rights to a piece you've never hunted before. In this case, I would definitely go out for a walk, but I think it's a good idea to do as much aerial imagery scouting as possible before you step foot on the land so you can have a plan of attack once you're there in person. Go to those spots you highlighted, rather than walking every inch if you can help it. You'll observe a lot in the first season and you can adjust based on those observations mid-season, OR, you can make adjustments in winter/spring the following year in preparation for your next season.

I really don't like to disturb summer patterns if at all possible.

Good post

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 am

matt1336 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Summer is the best time to do all your marsh scouting. :roll: :liar:

I do it quite often. Skeeters are terrible but it toughens you up for the early bow season. ;)

Your nuts Dewey :lol:

Just a few skeeters......not too bad. :whistle:

Crank up the volume to get the full effect. :lol:

https://youtu.be/OiGGLYv2pZU
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:37 am

Dewey wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Summer is the best time to do all your marsh scouting. :roll: :liar:

I do it quite often. Skeeters are terrible but it toughens you up for the early bow season. ;)

:lol: :lol:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 am

This year I will have to. Have only gotten through maybe half my scouting list for the winter/spring so far....I scout year round anyway but there are some areas that I really wanted to look at before green up that I won't get to.

Its more challenging but a heck of a lot better than not scouting at all. So no one should use the excuse that its not worth it!
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:04 am

JoeRE wrote:This year I will have to. Have only gotten through maybe half my scouting list for the winter/spring so far....I scout year round anyway but there are some areas that I really wanted to look at before green up that I won't get to.

Its more challenging but a heck of a lot better than not scouting at all. So no one should use the excuse that its not worth it!

I like that!, I’m in the same boat.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 am

I do some scouting in the summer. No matter how much or little I scout during winter/spring there are always additional spots I am interested in either from observations or aerial scouting. In mosquito areas, just wear long sleeves and spray down with bug spray. It can definitely be horrible in marsh areas, but I go regardless.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Dewey wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Are you using DEET? permethrin? Bug suit? thick skin? I've used DEET a little bit but it leaves a of a scent trail I'm sure and its oily so I'm sure it stays a long time. plus it makes me nervous when i put it on my neck and my lips go numb

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”