Analyzing My Most Successful Spot: The Rule of Three

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abishai

Analyzing My Most Successful Spot: The Rule of Three

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 am

I shot two good bucks, at the same spot, two times in 2014 & 2015. I was trying to think about what made the spot so good to hunt and noticed a few things. I think Bill Winke said on his show, to justify hunting a spot you need 3 factors that make it huntable. For example: acorn stand, near water, natural funnel. For a spot to be worth it, having three deciding criteria make it that much more likely for a hunter to succeed. Hopefully, you can put something from this into your bowhunting toolkit.

The "rule of three" for this spot IMO are: good entry/exit route, natural pinch, familiarity with human intrusion (non-hunting).

I'm going to start by addressing most of the factors that can affect a hunt either positively or negatively and explain some of the factors and how they help or hurt me.

Situation: High-Pressure Semi-Public Land. Technically, the land is public. Being on an Army post does limit some access, which is great, because it's covered up enough with military folks.

Pressure: The hunting pressure is fair. It could be worse, but it could be better. Myself and another buddy hunted the spot in 2014 and that same year at least three other guys that I know hunted it as well. The afternoon that I killed my buck, I know that that morning myself, and two other guys hunted the area. I know because I let them sit in my stands. :biggrin: In 2015 when I shot my buck, it was my first time in the area that year, so I don't know if anyone else was hunting it or not. I assume somebody was.

So this area does get hunted by other people.

About half a mile from this spot is a main road on post which includes parks and softball fields. There's also a recreational lake to the north and a hiking trail about 150 yards to the east of my stand spot. In 2014 on the day I killed my buck, I saw 8 other people about 75 yards away "exploring the woods."

So...yes, there is some people pressure. This might actually work in my favor as deer are used to intrusion by cannon-fodder types who aren't trying to kill them and are used to human sounds and human smells.

Size/Location: 150 acres of woods on my end where I hunt. About 300 acres of woods are included in the draws total including the public rec lake. The rest of the area is native grasses, with parks and some housing units pretty close by.

Entry/Exit Routes: I park at the top of the hill on a cut pipeline to the bottom of the draw and walk down the creek to my stand site. This is the same way I exit. Walking the creek keeps my scent low and in the creek bottom, keeps me out of the line of site of passing animals, and allows for some sound muffling. It's about as fool proof an entry/exit as it gets if the right wind is present.

Topography: To the southwest of this stand is a bedding area on the point of the ridge. The ridge is fairly steep on the west side of the creek and a little north of my stand on the east side of the creek. The only spot for deer to cross is in the bend which creates a natural funnel if they're moving from one side of the creek to another. One of the bucks I shot was walking from west to east (left to right), crossed the creek at the same spot and walked right past my stand at about 25 yards. This natural funnel, factored with the creek for entry/exit is the main reason I chose to hang my stand at this location.

Food: I don't really consider this spot a "food source" spot. It's a bottom draw so some acorns and other food sources are present, but deer generally walk through and browse.

Bedding: I think that deer bed to the east in some thicker scrubs and brush on a hillside (not 100% positive) and also on the end of the ridge to the southwest of my stand. The two deer I have shot, one came from the south and one came from the west. I'm not sure where they were coming from, but I'm pretty sure where they were going.

Water: There are usually some pockets and pools of water in the creek, but it's mostly dry bedrock. There's plenty of water in the area so IMO water doesn't play much of a factor.

Wind Direction: The wind is tricky in this spot. I think that a south or southwest wind is ideal. I had a deer come from downwind in the bottom the first time I hunted it and he responded to doe estrous scent. The second time the deer came from upwind. In bottoms the wind has a tendency to swirl anyways.

Wind Speed: Both hunts started with very high winds. In 2014 there were 30-40 mph winds with gusts. I actually considered climbing down because my tree was swaying so much. By the time the sun dropped, the winds had calmed considerably to about 5 mph. I believe that this drop in wind speeds contributed to my success and increased deer movements. The same thing happened in 2015. The winds were about 25 mph and dropped to almost nothing about an hour before shooting light ended.

Weather/Temps: I don't remember the temps exactly, but in both instances, a cold front was coming through. I was wearing light clothing and sweating when I climbed the tree. And I was chilled by the time the hunts were completed. In 2014 that night was a frost. In both instances the temps dropped about 25 degrees from the time I started hunting to when the hunt completed--again--increasing deer movement. The weather was overcast to clearing. I don't know about the pressure, but I assume a high-pressure front was coming through.

Date/Time: 2014 was November 10th which is the rut for this area. 2015 it was October 24th which is pre-rut. Both bucks were shot in the evening within the last hour of shooting light.

Other Contributing Factors: I have only hunted this spot two times and both times I shot nice bucks. Both had similar conditions--perhaps the most important factor being the decreasing wind speeds after a prolonged high-wind period and the approaching cold front. The topography also plays a role. This is a natural pinch and creek crossing. Deer move around the point of the ridge and come through near my stand tree to cross to the other side at this point in the creek. It's a natural ambush point.

Buck 1 responded to doe estrous scent (Nov 10) and Buck 2 thrashed a tree and made a rub in response to a buck grunt I had made.

I hadn't hunted this area prior--not even to hang a stand. I carried in my climber in both instances, climbed the same tree and saw and shot deer on the very first sit.

As you can see, multiple stars aligned when hunting this spot and contributed to my success. I hope my analysis of this spot helps you in your future endeavors.

I only have pics of one of the bucks. The 2nd buck I shot, I tracked for over a mile before I lost blood and never found him. I deployed for Kuwait two days later. He bled like a stuck pig and kicked like a mule. I got a pass-through with my arrow and bright blood. I spent over 12 hours looking for him by myself and with my hunting buddy. He was a similar size to my 2014 buck. To this day, I'm not sure what happened. Disappointing, but lessons learned from the hunt anyways.

“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Analyzing My Most Successful Spot: The Rule of Three

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 am

I prefer the rule of 1. Buck bedded in the area. Without that a hunter can have all the rules he wants, but hes relying heavily on Lady Luck which often leads him a stray. Good write up and nice buck!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:39 am

Nice write up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 am

Nice write up, but I too think that bedding has to be considered as well. Even if its a rut funnel its between bedding. You can have food, funnel, and low pressure... Won't do you no good if the deer are bedding 500 yards away and not arriving till after dark.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:39 am

Very nice write up! I like your entry and setup. That deer's bed and wind is a interesting one. Great buck! Congrats :clap: :clap:
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:42 am

dan wrote:Nice write up, but I too think that bedding has to be considered as well. Even if its a rut funnel its between bedding. You can have food, funnel, and low pressure... Won't do you no good if the deer are bedding 500 yards away and not arriving till after dark.

Totally agree with the bedding factor.

Bucky made a great post a while back that is similar to this that I thought was genius when I first read it. I'll try and dig it up. Maybe someone else can be me to it.

one of my public areas i'll be hunting in 2018 has a lot of the factors Bucky once talked about...

-Bedding
-Abundant food and water adjacent to bedding
-Limited Access (10k+ acres and only 1 parking lot)
-Large sized private parcels bordering
-Keep your yapper shut

-Last but not least, rumors for big bucks...haha

I think we could almost make a hunting beast law where X=bedding Y=limited access and so on and so forth... and then X+Y+Z = dead 400 pound slob :lol:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:04 am

Nice job on the write up!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks - I always thought in linear fashion - not trying to stack the odds in my favor. 3 or more reasons for the deer to be there sounds like a very reasonable way to increase your odds.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm

If you fail its vital to understand why. Likewise, when you are successful, its important to take a minute and reflect on what lead to that success. This goes for anything in life. I can tell you pay attention to details. Making smart plans and preparations like you described will bring you continued success.
Fireman324

Unread postby Fireman324 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Well told story!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Nice write up man! I agree you gotta have a buck bedded close but other things have to line up as well as you point out. Really what a hunter needs is the ability to get set up cleanly (access) and a reason for the buck to head your direction in daylight (time of year + conditions in your case it seemed like).

The challenge with looking at all the factors you can think of is its easy to get paralysis by analysis and just sit on your but sweating when you should be making decisions and hunting. There's a sweet spot between not detail oriented enough....and too detail oriented. Think "I can't see the forest because of all the trees in the way!" Easy to go too far one extreme or the other.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:36 am

Great post, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

The two things that stick out to me are the wind directions and the access. Were you close enough to shoot where the deer would potentially cross your trail? Or were there other factors that made it not as much of a concern? I know you mentioned the creek entry, are you physically in the water to avoid leaving ground scent? The fact that your hunting around other people using trails is good to know as well, I have a few spots like this and I tend to agree that it can only assist when it comes time to get in and out. The wind is interesting too, I know you only threw two sits at it but did you ever observe deer using that pinch point on other winds?
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Great post, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

The two things that stick out to me are the wind directions and the access. Were you close enough to shoot where the deer would potentially cross your trail? Or were there other factors that made it not as much of a concern? I know you mentioned the creek entry, are you physically in the water to avoid leaving ground scent? The fact that your hunting around other people using trails is good to know as well, I have a few spots like this and I tend to agree that it can only assist when it comes time to get in and out. The wind is interesting too, I know you only threw two sits at it but did you ever observe deer using that pinch point on other winds?

I physically walked the creek in/out each time. It had about ankle-deep water so my muck boots did the trick for keeping my feet dry and the water for keeping my scent trail down.

The first deer came from updwind, but I was getting a little bit of swirl. He hung up on the estrous. I'm not sure how he didn't cut my scent, but he didn't.

The 2nd deer didn't cut my trail or wind. He would've eventually but I shot him off before he got that far in.

I don't know if the deer use it on different winds. There were rubs all up and down the trail around the pinch and it looked like it had decent travel. I never saw a doe here either hunt. Just the solo bucks.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 am

Very cool, thanks again for the write up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”