Bino magnification for glassing fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Bino magnification for glassing fields

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 am

What's everyones preferred magnification for glassing fields? Starting to get into glassing more and the 8x32's I use in the treestand just don't have the power i'm looking for. Would primarily like to glass for deer and turkey. Usually several hundred yards to 1/4 mile from the road.

What brands and magnification do you guys like? Warranty is also important for me. I've had my vortex's in for warranty once already and they were great and easy to deal with.

Regards,
d_rek

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Bino magnification for glassing fields

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 am

10x42 is what most guys use out west.

If you are wanting to size up antlers at a distance, you need a spotting scope.
Last edited by Rich M on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 am

I have heard really good things on Swarovski binos, I have yet to get a pair in my hands. I suggest 8x42 anything more than 8 magnification gets hard to keep stabilized without tripod. If you do upgrade to 8x42, the "42" means that more light will be let in which will be better for glassing during low light conditions and make the object appear more clear. If the 8 mag isn't enough I'd go with a 10 mag but again remember it will be a little harder to keep stable without rest. The larger the lens the more light will be let in for those low light viewing and overall will make object clearer.

Personally I plan to invest in a pair of Swarovski 8x42's but right now I have some saving to do.

Hope this helped!
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:25 am

Could pick up a pair of Vortex Crossfire 10x42 binos, decent price and a solid good pair of binos. If 10 mag isn't enough you'll need a spotting scope.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 am

Corsair7 wrote:Could pick up a pair of Vortex Crossfire 10x42 binos, decent price and a solid good pair of binos. If 10 mag isn't enough you'll need a spotting scope.

I was looking at the diamondbacks or crossfires. Both are in my price range. Might try to find somewhere close where I can pepsi-challenge them.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:34 am

IMHO if 8 power isn’t enough for you then 10 won’t be either.

Keep the 8 power bino’s and get a spotting scope. You won’t regret having one. I use my spotter all the time even when shining. Hold the spotlight on my left and and look thru window mounted scope and adjust it with my right.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 am

d_rek wrote:
Corsair7 wrote:Could pick up a pair of Vortex Crossfire 10x42 binos, decent price and a solid good pair of binos. If 10 mag isn't enough you'll need a spotting scope.

I was looking at the diamondbacks or crossfires. Both are in my price range. Might try to find somewhere close where I can pepsi-challenge them.

Yeah definetly pepsi-challenge them, maybe even at Dick's or Field & Stream and after deciding what you want, let them know you'll be purchasing them else where!

From my understanding I believe the diamondbacks have the phase corrected prisms and fog-proof features, that the crossfires do not. I think you can even get 10x50 and even a 12x50 in both lines. But the price gap I believe is in the fog-proofing and eye relief.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 am

The price gap is lens quality - daimondback is cheaper cause the glass isn't as good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”