Lone wolf climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killtree

Lone wolf climber

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Would you go with a sit and climb or the hand climber?
The seat on the hand climber looks like it would be uncomfortable for a long sit.

:violence-bowandarrow:
Dewey

Re: Lone wolf climber

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:59 pm

The Hand Climber is great if you are worried about packing in weight. I added a Hunt Comfort seat pad and that made a huge difference with comfort. The stock seat pad is fine for a few hours but not very comfortable for all day sits.

I bought a Sit & Climb top so I had both options available. The Sit & Climb is much easier to climb with and is very comfortable but also adds about another 3-4 lbs.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I have both and use the sit climb much more. So comfortable. I do alot of all day sits.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Depends on what your goal is. Weight biggest goal? Or is comfort and ease of use?

Never used a lone wolf climber but used a summit hand climber and sit and climb. Both have their days, but comfort and ease of use push towards sit and climb.

Both were stolen, only replaced the sit and climb, if that says anything. Might sell it to a family member though who wants it. I use my hang ons more now
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:24 pm

If I'm packing a climber I want all day comfort. Or maybe rarely to get above where my sticks take me in pole timber. It depends how far you gotta pack it too. Sitting and climbing is moot to me, heck I prefer to pull up and climb but it is nice to have a cozy frame you can nap in. Personally between the two I can make do in a hand climber but I think the sit and climb is better suited for most things you want a climber for.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:19 pm

My Sit & Climb was both more comfortable and easier to climb with than the Hand Climber.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:06 am

I use hang ons some, but I rarely need one.
99% of the bedding areas I hunt have climber friendly trees.
I am more interested in comfort than ease of climbing.
The seat on the hand climber just looks like you would have to sit with a straight back and would prevent a person from being able to lean back and recline a little.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:03 am

I have both and prefer the hand climber, but like others have said it not great for long sits
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:26 am

Flip top combo is excellent
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:17 am

I have had both in the xop version and prefer the hand climber with the sit strap. The hand climber is a few pounds lighter and with the hunt comfort seat is comfortable for an all day sit. You can also shoot sighting down with the hand climber which is a big plus for me. I was always a climber fan until I started getting into bed hunting which leads to finding less than ideal climber trees in the spots I need to be.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am

I have a hand climber, I mostly only use it for gun hunting to get scary high with minimal weight. When I have a gun in my hand an exact tree isnt as critical to me generally.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 am

I have two old climbers that I still use sometimes, an API and an Ol' Man. You can slide the net seat up on both so you can sit and climb, however I rarely do. I get more height by using my arms only because I can raise the stand higher. I doubt I buy another climber, but if I do I'd just assume have a hand climber.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:17 pm

I’ve had the assault hand climber, the sit/climb ii, and the hang-on. I hated the sit/climb. It was easier to climb, but annoying in the stand and packing. The bar was useless for me. It wasn’t high enough for me to rest a gun on, so it was left underneath me. The hang-on def gives you the tree selection and cover options. If you have a lot of straight trees and you’re packing in a long ways, you just can’t beat the assault climber. It’s feather light and you can’t even feel it if you add Molle straps and waist belt. It packs down extremely flat too. Super quiet also. I would just add a strap to sit on if you have trouble climbing with the assault.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:48 pm

I like the sit and climb with a hazmore seat. Much more comfortable for long sits. I use a hang on and sticks for shorter hunts.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 am

I have done many all-day sits in a hand climber. Get a Hunt-Comfort gel seat pad and you will be good to go...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”