Confidence vs. Arrogance...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:18 am

Confidence is believing in your system, believing in yourself, and knowing you can succeed... Confidence in my opinion is key. But as hunters striving to do our best, we need to keep it in check.

Arrogance is pretty much the same thing with one minor exception... An arrogant person believes he knows everything and can't learn from "lesser" individuals.

A confident person can still learn. He believes he may know more,. but he listens, he tests, he watch's... Confidence needs a tiny bit of arrogance, because you need to say done that, been there,. and know better, when advice doesn't add up... But he still needs an open mind.

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Confidence vs. Arrogance...

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 am

Arrogance doesn't seem to last too long either. Sooner or later it's gonna bite you in the but. Confidence allow for change from learning.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 am

:clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:53 am

When I was a teenager I was more of the arrogant type. Thought I new it all. Through life lessons I figured that out pretty quick that, that wasn't true. Now I consider myself more confident because I look to learn from others as well as share my personal knowledge with others.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:36 am

I also believe confident people admit & learn from their mistakes. And use that knowledge, to become better.

Arrogant people have a hard time admitting they ever make mistakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 am

This topic has an important place in my life. My wife and I talk about this often. The best way I've been able to explain this to those who care to listen is what I call humble confidence. Humility is not only beginning to be but is well into being a lost art, last tact if you will. Throughout my career as a manager of people I have always promoted the humble. I want an employee that I can train. I want them to be able to say there's more to learn and gain their confidence through those lessons. I also want someone whom is humble enough to admit fault and take responsibility. This also keeps me in check as I need to set the tone and be the model or example of what this looks like.

My secondary point to Dan's point is you will find arrogant people not only in hunting but in every avenue of life. Typically speaking if they're arrogant in one area it's likely this is a trend in all areas. Good character is harder and harder to come by.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:When I was a teenager I was more of the arrogant type. Thought I new it all. Through life lessons I figured that out pretty quick that, that wasn't true. Now I consider myself more confident because I look to learn from others as well as share my personal knowledge with others.

X2
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:59 am

dan wrote:Confidence vs. Arrogance...

Confidence is believing in your system, believing in yourself, and knowing you can succeed... Confidence in my opinion is key. But as hunters striving to do our best, we need to keep it in check.

Arrogance is pretty much the same thing with one minor exception... An arrogant person believes he knows everything and can't learn from "lesser" individuals.

A confident person can still learn. He believes he may know more,. but he listens, he tests, he watch's... Confidence needs a tiny bit of arrogance, because you need to say done that, been there,. and know better, when advice doesn't add up... But he still needs an open mind.

Well said, Dan.

I think we all are and should be here for the right reasons, to learn from one another and keeping that open mind. That is what I like about this forum, I think we would be lying if we said we joined not expecting to learn anything. We are all here for a reason, to be better as hunters and learn from one another, and I think we all can agree that we all have confidence in some way or another, and I think that confidence has progressed putting the strategies we learn this forum out in the field.
Last edited by ScottSpitzley on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am

Arrogance is for people who constantly feel the need to impress others. I have no use for people like that in my life. That’s what makes the Beast so great is that we have very few of those type here and if there are they don’t last very long.

Confidence is doing the work and letting your results speak for themselves. Confidence plays a big role in success. Without it it’s exremely hard to stay focussed on the task at hand.
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:14 am

“Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.”
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 am

I’m not smart enough to be arrogant
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 am

Dewey wrote:Arrogance is for people who constantly feel the need to impress others. I have no use for people like that in my life. That’s what makes the Beast so great is that we have very few of those type here and if there are they don’t last very long.

Confidence is doing the work and letting your results speak for themselves. Confidence plays a big roll in success. Without it it’s exremely hard to stay focussed on the task at hand.

THIS
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:02 am

Great thread. Man you guys have some awesome ways with words.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:41 am

This is important to me. Being "young" in this game, plans and effort give me a boost to get me what I desire. Just read PredTC's 500 post about his next years outlook...plans and work toward a particular buck he will have an encounter with. That's what I'm talking about. My best chance at my first bowkill depends on me being ready. Confident....
Arrogant people need attention ( as mentioned before), and seem to end up alone, in jail, stuck in drama.....Cool post
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

there's always more than one way to skin a cat. use your best ability's to your advantage and work on your flaws till they are perfected. if your having trouble getting close learn to shoot farther. if your out of shape hide a stand closer to your destination. if your unsure seek advice. if your short of time run more cameras. if your getting burned out and stressed change up the game and clear your mind.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”