Ground hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Ground hunting

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:51 am

"Hunting off the ground is extremely difficult when it comes to big bucks... You have scent pooling and you have a direct line with the deers vision. They don't seem to miss much at eye level. And, there are always brush and crap around you so its very hard to get a shot off... Its certainly a disadvantage. From a tree you can shoot over obstacles, worry less about scent and eyesight, shoot farther, see farther, see them coming, etc, etc.."

That is a quote from Dan the man .

Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Ognennyy wrote:
Marshbuster89 wrote:I'll also add that I am a fan of straight on shots and neck shots, and will take them every time.

The neck shot is an interesting topic, but probably controversial in the modern hunting world. I have to admit I've always been curious about that. It would make sense that if you're at close range - 15, maybe 20 yards or closer, wherever you're confident in your ability to hit the bullseye 9/10 times - a neck shot could certainly be fatal.

Where specifically in the neck are you aiming? Are you trying to hit the spine in the neck? Seems reasonable that If you hit the spine and stun them, even if you didn't sever the spinal cord, and you're shooting from the ground at 10-15 yards, you could just get up and walk to 5 yards then put another arrow through the vitals to seal the deal. Or do you aim to sever the wind pipe? What about how "high" you aim; do you shoot for close to where the neck attaches to the shoulders and thoracic region? Instinct tells me I'd aim for closer to where the neck meets the jaw, where the spinal column and wind pipe are very close together.

Here's some pics to hopefully show/better explain what im.talking about. First off, I will say I've never shot a buck further than 15 yds away...in the way I hunt, I just doesn't happen, so penetration is no worry to me.

Head on shot: I want to be on either side of the spine of the deer and maybe clip the jugular on either side on the way in and then penetrate enough to get a lung nice and deep. There's a nice crease between the shoulder blade and neck (it's easier to "see" it when butchering a deer because there is no real joint that connects the front shoulders to the body like the hips do.) I'm aiming for that crease, and above the main brisket area but also below the spine (if you could imagine the spine extending out through the neck in a straight line). There's a lot of good stuff to hit in there.

Neck shot from the side: I'm going for windpipe and jugular. There's also kind of a visual crease for this also and I usually go the middle between the brisket and the white throat patch.

You can see where I actually hit them in some of my mounts. I know the bare mannekin that's picture is a poor example because it's such a hardcore "sweep", but i have it on hand as im finishing up the tree placement of this year's mount and shows the creases well.

Knock on wood I've never had to do a follow up shot, but I always let them sit plenty long and and knocked and ready to rock for a follow up as we are tracking lol.

Last edited by Marshbuster89 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How bad do you want it?
Marshbuster89

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:35 pm

SteveD wrote:Marshbuster 89,what length and bow weight are you using for your recurve? Good stuff you have posted and you have a great attitude
that goes along with it.

Steve it is a 56" or 58" bow @ 55#

I'm actually thinking about trying to build a lingbow now that it's a lull period for me between winter/spring scouting and summer scouting and I'll be bore til walleye tournaments start in a month lol
How bad do you want it?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
Head on shot: I want to be on either side of the spine of the deer and maybe clip the jugular on either side on the way in and then penetrate enough to get a lung nice and deep. There's a nice crease between the shoulder blade and neck (it's easier to "see" it when butchering a deer because there is no real joint that connects the front shoulders to the body like the hips do.) I'm aiming for that crease, and above the main brisket area but also below the spine (if you could imagine the spine extending out through the neck in a straight line). There's a lot of good stuff to hit in there.

Marshbuster, what kind of blood trail does this shot give you? Also, do you make any adjustment for angle of entry... whether you are sitting on ground or stool, kneeling or standing?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Marshbuster89

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Marshbuster, what kind of blood trail does this shot give you? Also, do you make any adjustment for angle of entry... whether you are sitting on ground or stool, kneeling or standing?

I'm almost always kneeling/ hunched over a little bit and as im drawn back, my arrow is almost straight in line with where I want it to hit. I adjust accordingly tho for best penetration and to miss any major bony structures. For head on the blood trail is actually pretty decent. Side on neck shots are pretty impressive.
How bad do you want it?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:Marshbuster, what kind of blood trail does this shot give you? Also, do you make any adjustment for angle of entry... whether you are sitting on ground or stool, kneeling or standing?

I'm almost always kneeling/ hunched over a little bit and as im drawn back, my arrow is almost straight in line with where I want it to hit. I adjust accordingly tho for best penetration and to miss any major bony structures. For head on the blood trail is actually pretty decent. Side on neck shots are pretty impressive.

Cool. I don't personally like a front facing shot from a tree, but I can see where this would have its place in a ground set up...and like you said 10-15 yards max. What size kill zone do you have here, tennis ball size...less?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
SteveD wrote:Marshbuster 89,what length and bow weight are you using for your recurve? Good stuff you have posted and you have a great attitude
that goes along with it.

Steve it is a 56" or 58" bow @ 55#

I'm actually thinking about trying to build a lingbow now that it's a lull period for me between winter/spring scouting and summer scouting and I'll be bore til walleye tournaments start in a month lol

be bored says the guy who puts in 20 plus hours work days... :lol: :lol:
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am

Hey Marsh thanks for all the great info and the visuals. I really appreciate that. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy and that a neck shot from the ground is perfectly viable. So far this year in my scouting I have been prepping ground blinds, and just taking notes on available trees in the area in case I'm feeling like dealing with the hassle of a hang n hunt on a given day (which I almost never do). As I sit in some of those ground setups and imagine the deer walking in, man... 10 yards is going to look so much closer from the ground. I am pumped, and really hope I get the chance to go for a neck shot this year from a ground set.
Marshbuster89

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am

Lol...yeah but sleeping is boring so i gotta do something to keep.me occupied.

Ground hunts get pretty intense lol every since I stared that first one eye to eye at 5 yds before I shot it, there was no going back from there lol
How bad do you want it?
Kelly49

Unread postby Kelly49 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 am

Totally awesome thread. Started off hunting fro the ground 58 years ago. Used tree stands for a long time but now at age 71 the ground is where I’ll be till the end.

7219D4EB-DBC0-4000-B5D5-E381F4F7F20C.jpeg
79871B0B-765B-4804-BEB1-CB8184A542ED.jpeg

Missed a nice buck(shot over him) from this ground blind in Nov, 2019. That’s my Waldrop Pacseat and it’s all set up so I shoot off my left side. My bow is a 60” takedown longbow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoy Mother Nature’s Glory, every day!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:05 pm

Bump
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:54 am

Best thread I ever read on this site. Marshman a true beast. I will add in my system later. Again what a great post.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:05 am

My ground set up is simple less is best. For swamps, no rubber boots. Found them useless and always get water in them. Cabela/Herters hip boots stocking foot. Good wading shoe. Always dry.

Match clothing color to terrain. Pretty obvious.

I don't hunt treed I hunt deer. That is what has taken me to the ground many times. I still use a tree if it's an advantage. I don't see an advantage in many areas I hunt. I make alot of my entry via trout streams. I like hunting nasty stuff.

In hardwoods will use top half Guille and always wear a face mask and gloves.

First season with xbow. A game changer. Like a 35 yard shot. Before they hit my scent stream.
Currently Ravin R10, but still looking for something lighter.

I don't advise anyone on shot selection
I shot 3 deer with xbow. Of all 3 total recovery distance was 75 yards. Shooting a bolt at 400fps and a Ram Cat head, knocked the crap out of them.

I also have knee pads. I like the Waldrop seat, Millenium tree seat, etc.

Pop up blinds. Selective spots. They are brushed in late spring and left till fall. Blanket on floor. Not my first option, but nice for those few consistent spots. NEVER use one in hill country. Mostly deep woods spots in UP.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:23 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:My ground set up is simple less is best. For swamps, no rubber boots. Found them useless and always get water in them. Cabela/Herters hip boots stocking foot. Good wading shoe. Always dry.

Match clothing color to terrain. Pretty obvious.

I don't hunt treed I hunt deer. That is what has taken me to the ground many times. I still use a tree if it's an advantage. I don't see an advantage in many areas I hunt. I make alot of my entry via trout streams. I like hunting nasty stuff.

In hardwoods will use top half Guille and always wear a face mask and gloves.

First season with xbow. A game changer. Like a 35 yard shot. Before they hit my scent stream.
Currently Ravin R10, but still looking for something lighter.

I don't advise anyone on shot selection
I shot 3 deer with xbow. Of all 3 total recovery distance was 75 yards. Shooting a bolt at 400fps and a Ram Cat head, knocked the crap out of them.

I also have knee pads. I like the Waldrop seat, Millenium tree seat, etc.

Pop up blinds. Selective spots. They are brushed in late spring and left till fall. Blanket on floor. Not my first option, but nice for those few consistent spots. NEVER use one in hill country. Mostly deep woods spots in UP.

Knee pads are a great idea I never thought about. I bring a cushion to kneel on if necessary, but knee pads would be way more useful.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Marshbuster89,,, I hear ya about Price county sucking for deer hunting. Since you left it only got worse. I am 17 mi. west of Phillips.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”