Swamp Bedding Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathewshooter

Swamp Bedding Question

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm

I have a swamp near my house I was thinking of checking out. Its about 200-300 yards wide and about a mile long, running north to south. Should I expect to find the buck bedding on the downwind side of the swamp or the upwind side or do they generally bed all over?

I take my Bowhunting seriously
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Swamp Bedding Question

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Got a pic or can you draw something up?
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Got a pic or can you draw something up?

Im not sure how to transfer from google earth to here
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Sent PM. :D
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm

I would look for high spots within the swamp , or any fingers and points that jut into the swamp . But yes also look at the whole transition for sign. That could lead you to some good bedding as well.
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:09 am

Mathewshooter wrote:I have a swamp near my house I was thinking of checking out. Its about 200-300 yards wide and about a mile long, running north to south. Should I expect to find the buck bedding on the downwind side of the swamp or the upwind side or do they generally bed all over?
Wolfofmibu wrote:I would look for high spots within the swamp , or any fingers and points that jut into the swamp . But yes also look at the whole transition for sign. That could lead you to some good bedding as well.

Ditto. Lidar mapping does a great job finding those slightly elevated areas in the swamp. also can Look for big trees out in the swamp which are on high ground. Walk the transition looking for sign coming out of it. Also keep an eye on the ridges just outside the swamp. If there is cover, they will bed there too. Just look for unique features of the swamp. A buck will bed somewhere for a reason.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 am

WHAT WOLF... SAID. Check all transitions.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 am

dan wrote:WHAT WOLF... SAID. Check all transitions.

So upwind or downwind side dont make any difference? I should check around the whole swamp?
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 am

Wind definitely plays a role, but since the wind is not a constant in terms of direction, you should check all the edges/transitions as others have mentioned. Buck sign such as a bed that is "downwind" of location xyz today could be "upwind" of location xyz tomorrow if the wind direction were to change.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 am

Mathewshooter wrote:

So upwind or downwind side dont make any difference? I should check around the whole swamp?

Wind makes "some" difference... But in swamps most great bedding areas are non-wind specific. I would target points that "typically" point down wind, on island points, or points jutting into the swamp, and I would look at transitions. When they bed straight transitions look for bedding along the edge when the wind is blowing from thick towards open, and look for bedding farther back (50 - 80 yards) when its blowing into the thick. Yes... I would walk all the transitions.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 am

dan wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:

Wind makes "some" difference... But in swamps most great bedding areas are non-wind specific. I would target points that "typically" point down wind, on island points, or points jutting into the swamp, and I would look at transitions. When they bed straight transitions look for bedding along the edge when the wind is blowing from thick towards open, and look for bedding farther back (50 - 80 yards) when its blowing into the thick. Yes... I would walk all the transitions.

OK...thanks. This will be my first swamp scout. The area I hunt at camp does not have any swamps near it. This swamp is 2 miles from my house and its public land so i figured why not check it out. You never know what you might find. I have some good starting points that Northwoods Wisconsin Hunter pointed out to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”