cool weather hunting suits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: cool weather hunting suits

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Jonny wrote:
sdonx wrote:I love my Heater Body bag, I am trying saddle hunting this year so I will not be able to use the HBB in a saddle.
I researched a new outfit and I'm 90% settled on First Lite Sanctuary bib and jacket...just need to save up some doe and bite the bullet.

If I had to switch from my iwom to something with feet I would do the cabelas stand hunter coveralls. Can usually get a great deal on them if you wait long enough. Might need a bigger saddle since they are pretty thick

I wish I could get my hands on a good set of affordable coveralls like those up here, but they’re hard to find. I got the first lite sanctuary set from an outlet store for a great deal and like it so far. Coveralls would be easier with the saddle. Walk in on base layer, get to tree, put coveralls on, put on saddle, remove top part of coveralls, climb/setup, cool down, put coveralls up.

It’s difficult to get the jacket and bibs to sit right when you have the saddle on. You have to do a bit of a dance because the tail of the jacket wants to ride on top of the saddle.

sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks Ghoast and Babs ..You guys may of saved me from something that didn't work. I never was a fan of coveralls...but I guess thats kinda what an HBB is.
Wearing the saddle under is a great idea... need to practice.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Babshaft wrote:
Jonny wrote:
sdonx wrote:I love my Heater Body bag, I am trying saddle hunting this year so I will not be able to use the HBB in a saddle.
I researched a new outfit and I'm 90% settled on First Lite Sanctuary bib and jacket...just need to save up some doe and bite the bullet.

If I had to switch from my iwom to something with feet I would do the cabelas stand hunter coveralls. Can usually get a great deal on them if you wait long enough. Might need a bigger saddle since they are pretty thick

I wish I could get my hands on a good set of affordable coveralls like those up here, but they’re hard to find. I got the first lite sanctuary set from an outlet store for a great deal and like it so far. Coveralls would be easier with the saddle. Walk in on base layer, get to tree, put coveralls on, put on saddle, remove top part of coveralls, climb/setup, cool down, put coveralls up.

It’s difficult to get the jacket and bibs to sit right when you have the saddle on. You have to do a bit of a dance because the tail of the jacket wants to ride on top of the saddle.

have you ever tried pulling bibs over your saddle it might bunch a little but still work might just need to loosen the suspenders or leave it unzipped or something for my jacket I use the elastic cord pull tabs at bottom of jacket I put a micro beaner on them then pull them down and clip to my saddle that will hold it down or you could rig a clip on suspender to the back then down to saddle to pull your jacket down. just cut the length you need and knot it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 pm

[/quote]

My best clothing isn’t hunting brands. North face, mountain hardwear, carhartt, dickies, all great brands. And you can find some crazy deals on them. Got a $350 mountain hardwear parka for $40 at a outlet store last summer. Warmest jacket I own. Also wear a very heavy north face vest under my iwom and it’s fantastic since my iwom is tight on my shoulders but loose everywhere else. Hard to layer in it with bulk on my arms

Also don’t sleep on ice fishing gear. I used to wear my ice armor stuff during gun season and shot deer in it. Also a good rain jacket and pants is one of the best windbreakers out there. A thin layer over the top will quiet it down to nothing.[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
Jonny wrote:

have you ever tried pulling bibs over your saddle it might bunch a little but still work might just need to loosen the suspenders or leave it unzipped or something for my jacket I use the elastic cord pull tabs at bottom of jacket I put a micro beaner on them then pull them down and clip to my saddle that will hold it down or you could rig a clip on suspender to the back then down to saddle to pull your jacket down. just cut the length you need and knot it.

Ya man I tried it. It's best over the bibs. Then loosen the belt (I'm a modified sit drag guy) put jacket on, adjust jacket under belt and tuck the back into the saddle. If you go under the bibs the bridge makes it difficult to close enough of the bibs to stay warm.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:sitka is so awesome but out of my league . you really need a small loan for thier products but im sure its worth every penny love sitka but cant afford it right now

check out kryptek they are a lot better on prices and they often have 40% off on camo fire too and just wait and read reviews and buy it black Friday and holidays I often get clothes that are in 200 range for 100 bucks that way or just buy one piece every year start with a jacket and build off it. if you ever want some info on gear send me a message I've tried a lot of stuff and try to keep up with the tech as much as possible don't be afraid to mix match either pick the best one suited for your use.

Thanks ghost i was thinking i wanna get a system for warm cold and frigid cold. And rain gear too. I think ill get a few pieces every year. I hear marino wool is the way too go too. Thnks bro any advice or recommendations would be awesome. I love the sitka line but 400$ bibs. Im sorry i just cant lol
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:sitka is so awesome but out of my league . you really need a small loan for thier products but im sure its worth every penny love sitka but cant afford it right now

check out kryptek they are a lot better on prices and they often have 40% off on camo fire too and just wait and read reviews and buy it black Friday and holidays I often get clothes that are in 200 range for 100 bucks that way or just buy one piece every year start with a jacket and build off it. if you ever want some info on gear send me a message I've tried a lot of stuff and try to keep up with the tech as much as possible don't be afraid to mix match either pick the best one suited for your use.

Thanks ghost i was thinking i wanna get a system for warm cold and frigid cold. And rain gear too. I think ill get a few pieces every year. I hear marino wool is the way too go too. Thnks bro any advice or recommendations would be awesome. I love the sitka line but 400$ bibs. Im sorry i just cant lol

these were on sale for 200 on camo fire a while back subscribe to there e mail you will get daily updates normally happens 2 times a month https://kryptek.com/aegis-extreme-bibs they are just as good as the sitka its just the name that bumps the price all the mountaineering brands are sewn in same plants overseas. the kryptek merino I'm digging its real durable and first lite is making new stuff in there aero wool line that's going to have nylon instead of polyester blended with there 37.5 tech witch is going to be way better, faster drying times and stronger fabric I'm excited to get it going to be a game changer. there aero wool now is great all season long as a first layer. nothing dries as fast that I've tested its a weird feeling sweating but drying just as fast from your body heat. I relly advise you look at this system https://kryptek.com/vellus-jacket-highlander I have the jacket and paints its no bs on ratings it actually walks the walk pants run true and I'm 6' tall 200 pounds athletic build and a large jacket fits great. the clothes are super light flexible warm fast drying and windproof perfect for bow and with a good layering system it takes me down to 10 degrees like nothing and its not bulky and restricting it feels like fall weather clothes but works from 60 degrees and down. and I bought the set on camo fire for 220 that's almost 180 dollars in savings. the stuff wears like good wool and lasts just as long.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks Ghoast, I also scored a set of Kryptek Vellum on Camofire, I just didn't think they were the bitter cold weather top layer I wanted. I will definitely give them a shot this year.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

check out kryptek they are a lot better on prices and they often have 40% off on camo fire too and just wait and read reviews and buy it black Friday and holidays I often get clothes that are in 200 range for 100 bucks that way or just buy one piece every year start with a jacket and build off it. if you ever want some info on gear send me a message I've tried a lot of stuff and try to keep up with the tech as much as possible don't be afraid to mix match either pick the best one suited for your use.[/quote

these were on sale for 200 on camo fire a while back subscribe to there e mail you will get daily updates normally happens 2 times a month https://kryptek.com/aegis-extreme-bibs they are just as good as the sitka its just the name that bumps the price all the mountaineering brands are sewn in same plants overseas. the kryptek merino I'm digging its real durable and first lite is making new stuff in there aero wool line that's going to have nylon instead of polyester blended with there 37.5 tech witch is going to be way better, faster drying times and stronger fabric I'm excited to get it going to be a game changer. there aero wool now is great all season long as a first layer. nothing dries as fast that I've tested its a weird feeling sweating but drying just as fast from your body heat. I relly advise you look at this system https://kryptek.com/vellus-jacket-highlander I have the jacket and paints its no bs on ratings it actually walks the walk pants run true and I'm 6' tall 200 pounds athletic build and a large jacket fits great. the clothes are super light flexible warm fast drying and windproof perfect for bow and with a good layering system it takes me down to 10 degrees like nothing and its not bulky and restricting it feels like fall weather clothes but works from 60 degrees and down. and I bought the set on camo fire for 220 that's almost 180 dollars in savings. the stuff wears like good wool and lasts just as long.

Omg ghost thanks bro im definately gonna get these love the patterns too. Your the best bro i owe ya one
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

check out kryptek they are a lot better on prices and they often have 40% off on camo fire too and just wait and read reviews and buy it black Friday and holidays I often get clothes that are in 200 range for 100 bucks that way or just buy one piece every year start with a jacket and build off it. if you ever want some info on gear send me a message I've tried a lot of stuff and try to keep up with the tech as much as possible don't be afraid to mix match either pick the best one suited for your use.[/quote

Omg ghost thanks bro im definately gonna get these love the patterns too. Your the best bro i owe ya one

no problem buddy enjoy your last set of clothing you will ever need they can do it all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”