Weather and Deer Hunting, with Aaron Warbritton of The Hunting Public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Weather and Deer Hunting, with Aaron Warbritton of The Hunting Public

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

Net Guy wrote:
Aaron1987 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Aaron1987 wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
Aaron1987 wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:What's Aarons handle?

Right here!

Thanks!

Great job, Aaron. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you really love hunting after a cold front passes. Do you have any luck before the cold front approaches? When fishing, we do really well during that last hour before the front arrives, but can't say I've had similar results hunting. Fishing can be challenging after a front passes, so I probably subconsciously assumed deer hunting would be challenging after a front too. Clearly, I'm wrong. :doh: I always made the assumption that all wildlife would be active just before a front arrives then hunker down as it's moving through.

We see good movement when the pressure is rising right after the front pushes through. You still need to be close to the beds in order to kill them though.

Thanks! Do the same rules apply no matter the season, with the exception of the rut?

Just like Aaron said, you want to be close to bedding to kill them, regardless of the time of the season in my opinion. Once hard winter comes, they are not moving very far and often. During rut, the MATURE bucks don't completely turn stupid no matter what anyone says. You may be able to get away with not being so close to their bedroom, but they still need to bed. Yes, they do the unexpectable there and again, but they are not running around like you see those 1.5 and 2.5 year olds do throughout any part of the day. It's about doing your homework on knowing exactly where they do bed during each phase, wind direction etc. You can go in anytime as long as they don't know your there, just need to be smart about it. But going in on these on these fronts increase your odds significantly, it's all about that slight change to make that buck get up from or back to their beds minutes within.

I don't mean to answer this for him, but just giving you my perspective as his may be completely differen't.

That pretty much sums it up Scott. Well said.

The only thing i'll add is during rut, mature bucks could also move on low pressure, hot, humid days where they are less apt to do so at other times of the year.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Aaron. Great add, and do agree 100%.

Anytime Net Guy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”