Tree Saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Catskills

Tree Saddle

Unread postby Catskills » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:21 am

I did a few searches but that didn't answer all of my questions. Does anybody here regularly use a tree saddle?

Last year was my first year deer hunting and I was successful twice from the ground. One buck with a crossbow grunted in to 15 yards and I stalked a buck with a rifle and got him at 35-40 yards. I started the year off in my father in laws treestand but learned right away I didn't want to be stuck in one tree day in day out. I was originally thinking of going for a lone wolf or now Dan's new climber (coming soon) but the idea of a tree saddle sounds intriguing. Anybody use them regularly? I am going to be hunting big woods style hunts mostly. I do have access to 50 acres of old farmland but I want to target public more this year. I am in Appalachian style hardwoods. I like that you do not need to find a limbless tree for the saddle. Gives you a lot more options. Can anybody with experience comment on the learning curve? I am getting a bow soon so thinking it will good to practice all summer from the saddle. It is just a couple hundred dollar investment so I want to hear some opinions before choosing to try a climber or saddle first.

Thanks guys, love the content here!

Octang
500 Club

Re: Tree Saddle

Unread postby Octang » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:38 am

There are quite a few guys around here that use them. I am saving up for one right now.

There is a great old thread that had a ton of info on it debating saddles vs stands. I tried finding it the other day but I couldn't. Perhaps someone else knows what I am talking about and can drop a link to it.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 am

Catskills wrote:I did a few searches but that didn't answer all of my questions. Does anybody here regularly use a tree saddle?

Last year was my first year deer hunting and I was successful twice from the ground. One buck with a crossbow grunted in to 15 yards and I stalked a buck with a rifle and got him at 35-40 yards. I started the year off in my father in laws treestand but learned right away I didn't want to be stuck in one tree day in day out. I was originally thinking of going for a lone wolf or now Dan's new climber (coming soon) but the idea of a tree saddle sounds intriguing. Anybody use them regularly? I am going to be hunting big woods style hunts mostly. I do have access to 50 acres of old farmland but I want to target public more this year. I am in Appalachian style hardwoods. I like that you do not need to find a limbless tree for the saddle. Gives you a lot more options. Can anybody with experience comment on the learning curve? I am getting a bow soon so thinking it will good to practice all summer from the saddle. It is just a couple hundred dollar investment so I want to hear some opinions before choosing to try a climber or saddle first.

Thanks guys, love the content here!

I was curious about this too, after this discussion I decided a saddle is the way I am going this year.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43657#p647348
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:55 am

thanks guys going to read up on that thread
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

I used a homemade saddle this past season and loved how comfortable it was.

Check out saddle hunter .com that’s where I got the confidence to saddle hunt without breaking the bank. Lots of good information and good people on that forum
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

Also hunting big tracts of public land a saddle set up is generally lighter and less bulky. Making long treks into the woods a little more convenient
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 am

I just got a kestrel saddle and i love it
I use sticks and saddle with a ratchet strap platform for really long walks. Then for not so long walks i use my lone wolf assault stand both are absolutely awesome.
For longer rut sits. I would recommend the saddle though only because i have a bad back and treestands get it going after 3-4 hour sits
An arrohunter.us/kestrel. Is the one I recommend
Watch my video on you tube for a description and my setup. A saddle is the ultimate mobile setup. I will be doing videos on time it takes to set up after the green up with both saddle and stand
Pm me if more interested ill gladly steer you where u need to be
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:I just got a kestrel saddle and i love it
I use sticks and saddle with a ratchet strap platform for really long walks. Then for not so long walks i use my lone wolf assault stand both are absolutely awesome.
For longer rut sits. I would recommend the saddle though only because i have a bad back and treestands get it going after 3-4 hour sits
An arrohunter.us/kestrel. Is the one I recommend
Watch my video on you tube for a description and my setup. A saddle is the ultimate mobile setup. I will be doing videos on time it takes to set up after the green up with both saddle and stand
Pm me if more interested ill gladly steer you where u need to be

Thanks man! I am going to watch after work. I will definitely be asking you questions before I purchase.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 am

Yes I almost exclusively hunt out of a saddle. I mostly hunt woodlots of various density adjacent to farmland and riverbottoms with rolling hardwoods and thick bedding areas.

I would never go back to a traditional hang-on stand for hunts. If you have ability to pre-set your trees that's where it really shines and can save you tons of money versus buying hang-on stands. Saddle is an excellent tool for mobile hunters too.

As far as the learning curve it can be intimidating at first but in reality is pretty gentle. Once you play with a saddle setup a couple of times you'll likely be put at ease: You need a method to ascend the tree (ie: sticks or steps), you need a 'platform' to stand on, and a tree tether which is essentially the same thing as your harness tree strap. Everything else is fairly typical of other mobile/hang-and-hunt setups, though I think depending on the way you want to hunt opens up more possibilities for the saddle hunter.

You will likely find answers to all your questions and more at the saddlehunter.com forum.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 am

thanks guys! I joined saddlehunting as well. Lots of reading on there and the beast to do before next fall
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 am

OK, so I am building my setup. I believe I will be going with the sit drag/ rc combo, and the wild edge steps.
I know I need a lineman's belt.

I am foggy on the teathering and where/ how to get that set up. Do you make up the rig, buy it? Do you have to learn knot tying?

What else is needed to get into a tree?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:OK, so I am building my setup. I believe I will be going with the sit drag/ rc combo, and the wild edge steps.

I am foggy on the teathering and where/ how to get that set up. Do you make up the rig, buy it? Do you have to learn knot tying?

Tether is easy to make brother. Get yourself a ~ 10' piece of 8-11mm static climbing rope (most guys prefer 11mm, samson predator is also a popular brand). Multiple knot options, but pretty safe is a figure 8 on a bight. Tie that on one end. Tie a barrel knot on the other end (or another figure 8 on a bight or any other knot - it's just a stopper knot). Get a small hollow block sling or prusik cord. Get a ropeman 1 (or 2) ascender. Wrap the rope around the tree, put the barrel knot through the bight of the figure 8. Tighten the tether up and set it somewhere from eye to chin level; whatever you find most comfortable. Above the barrel knot tie your prusik on, attach that with a carabiner to the belay loop of your rock climbing harness. Above the prusik, attach your ropeman ascender and carabiner to your bridge for your sit drag. Adjust until you're comfortable.

One thing I like to do is leave my ropeman and prusik on my tether. Saves me from having to attach them in the field. You'll find all kinds of things to be your personal preference.

Here's a good channel for the two knots. Sorry about the annoying British guy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatedKnots

It looks like you have everything to get up the tree. You using the stepps as a platform? Gear holder? Bow Holder? Those are two things I frequently forget about lol.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Babshaft wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:OK, so I am building my setup. I believe I will be going with the sit drag/ rc combo, and the wild edge steps.

Tether is easy to make brother. Get yourself a ~ 10' piece of 8-11mm static climbing rope (most guys prefer 11mm, samson predator is also a popular brand). Multiple knot options, but pretty safe is a figure 8 on a bight. Tie that on one end. Tie a barrel knot on the other end (or another figure 8 on a bight or any other knot - it's just a stopper knot). Get a small hollow block sling or prusik cord. Get a ropeman 1 (or 2) ascender. Wrap the rope around the tree, put the barrel knot through the bight of the figure 8. Tighten the tether up and set it somewhere from eye to chin level; whatever you find most comfortable. Above the barrel knot tie your prusik on, attach that with a carabiner to the belay loop of your rock climbing harness. Above the prusik, attach your ropeman ascender and carabiner to your bridge for your sit drag. Adjust until you're comfortable.

One thing I like to do is leave my ropeman and prusik on my tether. Saves me from having to attach them in the field. You'll find all kinds of things to be your personal preference.

Here's a good channel for the two knots. Sorry about the annoying British guy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatedKnots

It looks like you have everything to get up the tree. You using the stepps as a platform? Gear holder? Bow Holder? Those are two things I frequently forget about lol.

Wow, wishing I would have taken Latin now in high school! :lol:
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. Yes, will use the stepps for platform. Haven't thought much on the bow and gear holders. Not supposed to screw in on public, do you have a good option for gear?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Hahahaha no Latin necessary. I’ll send you links for all the stuff if you’d like. Check out G2outdoors pack hanging systems on YouTube. Actually, start with this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMkGoETX-M
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Babshaft wrote:Hahahaha no Latin necessary. I’ll send you links for all the stuff if you’d like. Check out G2outdoors pack hanging systems on YouTube if you haven’t yet. Actually, start with this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMkGoETX-M

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”