459 days later i found him

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

Re: 459 days later i found him

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Bigb wrote:Glad you found him!

In order to not beat yourself up about finding him immediately, I'll tell you a quick story.

2014 the day my buddy and I arrived to where we hunt we got in late and only had about 45 minutes to hunt so we jumped in a couple close stand to hunt. My buddy was hunting a few hundred yards away. Around dark i get a text that he just shot a nice buck. We waited about 45 minutes and got all our gear and went in to track. It was supposed to storm that night so we had to go in right away. We blood trailed that deer for over a mile through some pretty hilly country before we lost blood. Over the next month we got the buck on camera 10 or so times chasing does and such. Then, a month later my buddy is at my wedding reception in Chicago on a saturday night and his brother calls and says he found his buck dead. It was laying no more than 75 yards from where he shot him but had just expired in the last few days. We had trail camera pics of him over 600 yards away after being shot but he was found dead only 75 yards from where he shot. It was 100% the deer he shot (we knew this deer well and walked by a camera 10 seconds before being shot then ran by another one while we were trailing him). Don't beat yourself up, that deer could have lived a lot longer than you thought.

I wondered that about this buck...I wondered how she got missed by so many eyes so many times...you know what I didn't include in that story and after I really kinda put it together was...it was that miss and season that pushed me over the deep end with hunting and preperation and making sure I am finishing that. I shot 3 deer this year and none of them went 30yds so it is those crappy moments that make us work harder.. great story of your own there. Unreal sometimes what can happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”