Concentrated Areas of Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

harold

Concentrated Areas of Rubs

Unread postby harold » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm curious to hear what you guys know about large concentrated areas of rubs. When I say large I’m talking dozens of old and new rubs concentrated in say a 50 foot diameter area. I found an area like this while scouting the other day and I've never seen anything like it. The rubs were mostly on striped maple saplings but it was impressive nonetheless. It was harder finding a tree that hadn't been rubbed then one that had.

I think this is related to doe bedding on the point this area overlooks. I'm guessing bucks are coming in to check out the ladies and marking up a tree or two while they are at it. I could be off base here, but I can't think of any other explanation.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Concentrated Areas of Rubs

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

What type of cover is in area?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

harold wrote:I'm curious to hear what you guys know about large concentrated areas of rubs. When I say large I’m talking dozens of old and new rubs concentrated in say a 50 foot diameter area. I found an area like this while scouting the other day and I've never seen anything like it. The rubs were mostly on striped maple saplings but it was impressive nonetheless. It was harder finding a tree that hadn't been rubbed then one that had.

I think this is related to doe bedding on the point this area overlooks. I'm guessing bucks are coming in to check out the ladies and marking up a tree or two while they are at it. I could be off base here, but I can't think of any other explanation.
you just found a good spot I have a spot like this where 6 different bucks core areas overlap and they mark up clusters of hemlocks if you trace those trails back from the area they will all lead to buck beds they make this in early October when the bachelor groups split up and they carve out there territories its a killer spot for a trail camera or possible stand depending on how close the bedding is. but either way you can hunt every trail that comes from there and really have some good bed hunts.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

I think you found a buck bed, they are probably bedding on the point and all the rubs are where they stage once they get out of bed. I have several spots just like that, there is probably some good doe bedding nearby too as its more than likely a rut bed.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm

headgear wrote:I think you found a buck bed, they are probably bedding on the point and all the rubs are where they stage once they get out of bed. I have several spots just like that, there is probably some good doe bedding nearby too as its more than likely a rut bed.

I agree. But it might be an overlapping buck core area too ive heard of areas like that. But anyway. Mark it and hunt it 3 times early season rut and late season keep us posted
harold

Unread postby harold » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:What type of cover is in area?

This specific group of trees overlooks a "benched" point. It is right at the lip before about a twenty foot drop off onto the bench. Above the bench is patchy laurel. Several hundred yards back it gets real thick with laurel. The bench on the point however is very open. As is most of the point itself.
harold

Unread postby harold » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I should add, deer certainly do bed on the point. About 8" of snow when I was scouting there the other day and I counted at least a half dozen beds just on the lip. But I've always thought due to the cover it was just doe and younger bucks. I don't know this area real well yet, but it seems there are plenty of other thicker options nearby.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm

harold wrote:I should add, deer certainly do bed on the point. About 8" of snow when I was scouting there the other day and I counted at least a half dozen beds just on the lip. But I've always thought due to the cover it was just doe and younger bucks. I don't know this area real well yet, but it seems there are plenty of other thicker options nearby.

this sounds like a buck nest to me the rubs area a staging area for bucks to drop down to on the point. I would check that patch of laurel above for the bigger buck beds the beds on open point could be satellite beds for younger bucks are there defined trails of up and down check out the thread I made on (found the buck nest ) it sounds like the same thing. its a series of big buck beds that drop onto a point that has a tone of rubs and a giant primary scrape. I found over 100 beds within 300 yards of that sigh post rubbed primary scrape and I'm still not done scouting it lol.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

harold wrote:I'm curious to hear what you guys know about large concentrated areas of rubs. When I say large I’m talking dozens of old and new rubs concentrated in say a 50 foot diameter area. I found an area like this while scouting the other day and I've never seen anything like it. The rubs were mostly on striped maple saplings but it was impressive nonetheless. It was harder finding a tree that hadn't been rubbed then one that had.

Any chance you could draw us a picture up with the terrain, transition lines, and where you are finding the sign?
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 am

When I find these type of areas I like to set up a cam and let it soak a season so I can see what kinda action it gets. It will tell you the time of the season they are using it and on what winds . I’ve caught a lot of bucks in daylight doing this and it also tells you the direction they came from so you can try to pin point their bedding .
harold

Unread postby harold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
harold wrote:I should add, deer certainly do bed on the point. About 8" of snow when I was scouting there the other day and I counted at least a half dozen beds just on the lip. But I've always thought due to the cover it was just doe and younger bucks. I don't know this area real well yet, but it seems there are plenty of other thicker options nearby.

this sounds like a buck nest to me the rubs area a staging area for bucks to drop down to on the point. I would check that patch of laurel above for the bigger buck beds the beds on open point could be satellite beds for younger bucks are there defined trails of up and down check out the thread I made on (found the buck nest ) it sounds like the same thing. its a series of big buck beds that drop onto a point that has a tone of rubs and a giant primary scrape. I found over 100 beds within 300 yards of that sigh post rubbed primary scrape and I'm still not done scouting it lol.

Thanks, makes sense. Similar to what headgear said too. I definitely owe this area some more time and will dig around further back in the thick.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm

harold wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Thanks, makes sense. Similar to what headgear said too. I definitely owe this area some more time and will dig around further back in the thick.

spots like that are what beasts scout all season for I don't even look at single beds anymore I go for the high concentration areas in the game of odds it raises the chance. they also don't burn out as fast some of these places can have 20 plus bucks using it.
harold

Unread postby harold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:

Any chance you could draw us a picture up with the terrain, transition lines, and where you are finding the sign?

Here's my best Picasso. Red are contours, blue are beds. The vegetation transitions are not hard it is a gradual transition. The overstory is mature mostly oaks. My best guess is the area was probably logged in the 70's or 80's. You can probably tell which way the wind was blowing the day I scouted and the few days before I scouted. The lone bed on the point is where I jumped a deer up back in the summer.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:29 am

harold wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:

Here's my best Picasso. Red are contours, blue are beds. The vegetation transitions are not hard it is a gradual transition. The overstory is mature mostly oaks. My best guess is the area was probably logged in the 70's or 80's. You can probably tell which way the wind was blowing the day I scouted and the few days before I scouted. The lone bed on the point is where I jumped a deer up back in the summer.

I think your predictions has some great points to it. For me if I'd predict why there is a concentration of rubs there is because of primary doe bedding and the bucks are cruising through displaying their scent and presence with the rubs during rut. There might be several different bucks in the area who are competing, therefore there is competition and more sign popping up.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 am

Multiple mature bucks in that spot overlap of territory's. It takes a aggressive mature buck to rub hardwood trees.

Sounds like a good spot.

I have no idea where The does bed to know how much of a impact that may play.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”