Help with very thick cutover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shot2high

Help with very thick cutover

Unread postby Shot2high » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:28 am

I found a spot that is a young and extremely thick pine plantation. It is mostly pines that are less than 10' tall and covered in briars and vines. This area is about 1.2 miles long and 700 yards across. Deer sign coming in and out of it. The cut is bordered on one side of its length by a bottom area / creek with hardwoods. This place is flat as a pancake and during rainy times it is wet. How would you guys suggest scouting it or even hunting it? Would you treat it like the swamps / marshes I read about on here? I have zero chance of getting into this mess quietly. Do I need to only hit the edges looking for sign? How many of you would dive off into the middle of this stuff.

The spot I am explaining is well over a mile back and ...you gotta want to get there..

I have a couple of short video's of the thicket if you want to see what I am talking about PM me.

BTW I only bow hunt with a couple of muzzleloader hunts thrown in.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Help with very thick cutover

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 am

Probably great spot early if properly thinned and enough space to let sun get to surface. It will have great browse and maybe bedding if thick enough. My old farm lease had this and the deer still bedded in mature woods adjacent to these pines. Great hunting though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”