Strange things you have seen other hunters doing?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Strange things you have seen other hunters doing?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 pm

I just looked at this post to see if anyone has spotted me doing strange things in the woods... Am I the only one?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I have two stories that come to mind...

One afternoon I was specifically after does for freezer meat and was hunting very close to a road. About an hour before shooting light an old Buick pulls up and a gentlemen gets out in a white tee shirt and opens the trunk. I legitimately thought he was dumping a body... Turns out he pulls out a block target and sets it up on a trail hunters use to walk into a creek bottom (very illegal). So the gentleman begins to sight in his bow and after 7 shots he walks into the woods with a makeshift ground blind and sets up within 50yards of where he was shooting... I ended up shooting a doe within 170 of him and he never knew! I heard him and another hunter talking about how they didn’t see anything afterwards :lol:

Another time I was hunting a bed early season and realized the buck wasn’t there.. So I cut my losses and walked back to the truck only to realize another hunter had set up a ground blind within 50 yards of my truck. It was between me and my truck... They had setup within 100yards of a main road to boot. So I walked the long way around trying to avoid ruining their hunt when I bump into 6 does and a buck on the opposite side of the field. Probably 300yards from them.. so I begin a spot and stalk to rub it in after walking having to walk an extra 1/2 mile.well I end up within 35 yards of a juicy doe at full draw when I hear someone whistle. The hunters in the ground blind weren’t too happy that I was about to kill ‘their’ deer and decided to spook it off before I could shoot it. Honestly it was a toss up I wasn’t trying to ruin their hunt but they ended up hunting right beside my truck and I was in the woods before they even got there, had I know they were there I would’ve gone a different way but that’s public land. They exchanged some choiceful words and we went about our evenings...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I just looked at this post to see if anyone has spotted me doing strange things in the woods... Am I the only one?

Nope :whistle:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm

JoeRE wrote:I see hunters do all kinds of crazy stuff. They sit the same spot again and again always expecting different results than the last sit. They don't practice - then blame their bad shots on their equipment! They check their trail cameras every few days and claim it doesn't impact deer activity. They haul ozone machines into the woods. They smear vanilla all over their bodies!

Crazy stuff!! :lol:

I cant say anything i fid the same thing until finding the beast lol
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Twenty Up wrote:I have two stories that come to mind...

One afternoon I was specifically after does for freezer meat and was hunting very close to a road. About an hour before shooting light an old Buick pulls up and a gentlemen gets out in a white tee shirt and opens the trunk. I legitimately thought he was dumping a body... Turns out he pulls out a block target and sets it up on a trail hunters use to walk into a creek bottom (very illegal). So the gentleman begins to sight in his bow and after 7 shots he walks into the woods with a makeshift ground blind and sets up within 50yards of where he was shooting... I ended up shooting a doe within 170 of him and he never knew! I heard him and another hunter talking about how they didn’t see anything afterwards :lol:

Another time I was hunting a bed early season and realized the buck wasn’t there.. So I cut my losses and walked back to the truck only to realize another hunter had set up a ground blind within 50 yards of my truck. It was between me and my truck... They had setup within 100yards of a main road to boot. So I walked the long way around trying to avoid ruining their hunt when I bump into 6 does and a buck on the opposite side of the field. Probably 300yards from them.. so I begin a spot and stalk to rub it in after walking having to walk an extra 1/2 mile.well I end up within 35 yards of a juicy doe at full draw when I hear someone whistle. The hunters in the ground blind weren’t too happy that I was about to kill ‘their’ deer and decided to spook it off before I could shoot it. Honestly it was a toss up I wasn’t trying to ruin their hunt but they ended up hunting right beside my truck and I was in the woods before they even got there, had I know they were there I would’ve gone a different way but that’s public land. They exchanged some choiceful words and we went about our evenings...

What was those choiceful words exactly? Lmao.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 am

Brickhouse wrote:Not something I've directly watched another hunter do, but I've found some pretty odd stands that guys have set up on public. Found about an 8 foot ladder stand somebody had made entirely of pvc. He even had a piece he screwed onto the side of the seat as an arrow tube. Also found a round bale in the middle of the woods with a ground blind setup on top of it. How the bale got there I will never know because the nearest hay field was over a mile away and no trails that someone could've taken equipment on to drop it off in there. Lastly I found a shopping cart wedged in a couple branches with tree pegs going up to it. I need to start taking pics of these things because I always get a good laugh when I think of guys climbing up into them.

I found stands way back in the middle of nowhere that were 55 gallon drums with the top cut off they were bolted into trees about 25 feet off the ground. I also found a permanent stand constructed in a tree that had a old wooden rocking chair on the platform and a milk crate for a foot rest. I've also found a box blind in a tree about 2.5 miles from the nearest road on public with a shingle roof woodstove and glass window that guys had to have spent the whole summer hauling all that stuff to the top of the mountain lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:20 am

one thing I like to do is take cat eyes and put them around corners and at tops of hills to mess with people hiking trails in in the dark. I wonder how many big foot sightings I created over the years. when I was a kid their was a guy that walked in on same trail as me in morning and every day he would sit on a stump in dark and have his coffee before he went to his stand. so I put two dozen cat eyes in bushes across from where he sits he must have thought he was surrounded buy coyotes lol
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 am

ghoasthunter wrote:one thing I like to do is take cat eyes and put them around corners and at tops of hills to mess with people hiking trails in in the dark. I wonder how many big foot sightings I created over the years. when I was a kid their was a guy that walked in on same trail as me in morning and every day he would sit on a stump in dark and have his coffee before he went to his stand. so I put two dozen cat eyes in bushes across from where he sits he must have thought he was surrounded buy coyotes lol

Bwhahahaha that’s great. Where do you get said cat eyes?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 am

Really enjoying reading this thread funny story's.

I once saw 2 400 plus pound hunters on 3 wheeler go down a logging road i was in shock that the 3 wheeler didn't break in half. Waved at them and said good luck today. About 20 minutes later I hear the 3 wheeler coming out.

Here come the same 2 guys and a small 7 point buck mind blown that poor 3 wheeler was abused. Had over a thousand pounds on it.

After chatting for a minute they were from out of state and had never hunted before in the state. They shot the buck less then 10 feet from where they parked within 15 minutes of parking the atv in a area they had never been too.
:shock:

It was those guys lucky day only buck either of them had ever killed.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Brickhouse wrote:Not something I've directly watched another hunter do, but I've found some pretty odd stands that guys have set up on public. Found about an 8 foot ladder stand somebody had made entirely of pvc. He even had a piece he screwed onto the side of the seat as an arrow tube. Also found a round bale in the middle of the woods with a ground blind setup on top of it. How the bale got there I will never know because the nearest hay field was over a mile away and no trails that someone could've taken equipment on to drop it off in there. Lastly I found a shopping cart wedged in a couple branches with tree pegs going up to it. I need to start taking pics of these things because I always get a good laugh when I think of guys climbing up into them.

I found stands way back in the middle of nowhere that were 55 gallon drums with the top cut off they were bolted into trees about 25 feet off the ground. I also found a permanent stand constructed in a tree that had a old wooden rocking chair on the platform and a milk crate for a foot rest. I've also found a box blind in a tree about 2.5 miles from the nearest road on public with a shingle roof woodstove and glass window that guys had to have spent the whole summer hauling all that stuff to the top of the mountain lol

The barrels ive seen before they were used years ago by gun clubs for standers in drives. Especially in very high undergrowth areas or tall brushy areas. Now the rocking chair that would be a cool sight and ive seen box stands like the same setup. With desk chairs and heaters lol
The problem with those heaters it gets so hot and cozy id fall asleep lol wake up pitch black
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:one thing I like to do is take cat eyes and put them around corners and at tops of hills to mess with people hiking trails in in the dark. I wonder how many big foot sightings I created over the years. when I was a kid their was a guy that walked in on same trail as me in morning and every day he would sit on a stump in dark and have his coffee before he went to his stand. so I put two dozen cat eyes in bushes across from where he sits he must have thought he was surrounded buy coyotes lol

lol cat eyes are what the locals call reflective tacks in the NJ lol I thought everybody called them that :think:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 pm

I just remembered this gem. I didn't see it but I heard it. Whack Whack Whack!!!!! In a bunch of sequences for about 3 min it was coming from the guy I was hunting with so when we meet up after hunting I said wtf were you doing back there. He says he didn't have any rattling antlers so he smacked a stick on a tree.
So when he asked me if it sounded good I lost it. I told him No it sounded like you were smacking a stick on a tree. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm

JAK wrote:I just remembered this gem. I didn't see it but I heard it. Whack Whack Whack!!!!! In a bunch of sequences for about 3 min it was coming from the guy I was hunting with so when we meet up after hunting I said wtf were you doing back there. He says he didn't have any rattling antlers so he smacked a stick on a tree.
So when he asked me if it sounded good I lost it. I told him No it sounded like you were smacking a stick on a tree. :lol:

Lucky with those wood knocks he didn’t call in a sasquatch. :lol:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Dewey wrote:
JAK wrote:I just remembered this gem. I didn't see it but I heard it. Whack Whack Whack!!!!! In a bunch of sequences for about 3 min it was coming from the guy I was hunting with so when we meet up after hunting I said wtf were you doing back there. He says he didn't have any rattling antlers so he smacked a stick on a tree.

Lucky with those wood knocks he didn’t call in a sasquatch. :lol:

:lol: if I knew how to spell the squatch noise :lol:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:one thing I like to do is take cat eyes and put them around corners and at tops of hills to mess with people hiking trails in in the dark. . I wonder how many big foot sightings I created over the years. when I was a kid their was a guy that walked in on same trail as me in morning and every day he would sit on a stump in dark and have his coffee before he went to his stand. so I put two dozen cat eyes in bushes across from where he sits he must have thought he was surrounded buy coyotes lol

lol cat eyes are what the locals call reflective tacks in the NJ lol I thought everybody called them that :think:

I’ve never heard em called that...I was thinking they were some kind of reflective eyes. Haha. But that’s still great...coming out at dark I’ve been fooled briefly by those thinking they were deer eyes. It would be funny to put them in pairs around an area

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”