Summer Big Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
brancher147
500 Club
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 am
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 am

Yeah, season here is last saturday in september. So sometimes part of the first week those bucks are still around, then they are usually gone.


Some do. Some don't. I just might...
User avatar
tgreeno
500 Club
Posts: 4691
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

I have never had luck shining a big buck before the season. Then killing that specific buck during that same season. I let my scouting dictate where, when I hunt. Typically the places I shine & glass, are known to me. So if I see a nice buck, I have an idea where he came from.

I rarely shine or glass places I can't hunt. Because I feel like it's a waste of my time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am

Killtree wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I put salt licks right on the edge of many thickets in many diff areas. After velvet sheds, if I'm getting pics of a good one I know I have found his core area. Then I use the times of photo to determine how far from his bed.



X2

x3 every 2 weeks I dump a 20 pound bag of corn white salt and molasses un top and check camera I run 10 sites and every couple days I have one to check took me a couple years to find all the bachelor groups but I have some spots now that I get over 20 bucks using. then I get a idea what's on that block of woods. then I know if I should hunt it or not that year then its bed intel and camera scouting that zeros me in on the bucks bed. the trick is not to close to bedding and not to far for salt my goal is to get a higher percent of night photos that way I know I'm less obtrusive too far and you wont get all the deer in area I try and find terrain funnels to up my odds of deer finding it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
Killtree
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Killtree wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I put salt licks right on the edge of many thickets in many diff areas. After velvet sheds, if I'm getting pics of a good one I know I have found his core area. Then I use the times of photo to determine how far from his bed.



X2

x3 every 2 weeks I dump a 20 pound bag of corn white salt and molasses un top and check camera I run 10 sites and every couple days I have one to check took me a couple years to find all the bachelor groups but I have some spots now that I get over 20 bucks using. then I get a idea what's on that block of woods. then I know if I should hunt it or not that year then its bed intel and camera scouting that zeros me in on the bucks bed. the trick is not to close to bedding and not to far for salt my goal is to get a higher percent of night photos that way I know I'm less obtrusive too far and you wont get all the deer in area I try and find terrain funnels to up my odds of deer finding it.


I see a lot of guys that think if you are not getting daytime pics then you are not in the game.
I don't want my cameras close enough to bedding to get daytime pics.
I want pics a couple hours after dark that show the buck traveling the same direction. Once I know which direction he is coming from I can pretty much figure out which bedding he is coming from.
I fully expect to quit getting pics of him when season gets close because usually the acorns drop and he won't have to travel as far from bedding for food.
:violence-bowandarrow:
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Killtree wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Killtree wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I put salt licks right on the edge of many thickets in many diff areas. After velvet sheds, if I'm getting pics of a good one I know I have found his core area. Then I use the times of photo to determine how far from his bed.



X2

x3 every 2 weeks I dump a 20 pound bag of corn white salt and molasses un top and check camera I run 10 sites and every couple days I have one to check took me a couple years to find all the bachelor groups but I have some spots now that I get over 20 bucks using. then I get a idea what's on that block of woods. then I know if I should hunt it or not that year then its bed intel and camera scouting that zeros me in on the bucks bed. the trick is not to close to bedding and not to far for salt my goal is to get a higher percent of night photos that way I know I'm less obtrusive too far and you wont get all the deer in area I try and find terrain funnels to up my odds of deer finding it.


I see a lot of guys that think if you are not getting daytime pics then you are not in the game.
I don't want my cameras close enough to bedding to get daytime pics.
I want pics a couple hours after dark that show the buck traveling the same direction. Once I know which direction he is coming from I can pretty much figure out which bedding he is coming from.
I fully expect to quit getting pics of him when season gets close because usually the acorns drop and he won't have to travel as far from bedding for food.

I had one salt station I had to move this year I was getting daytime photos every day when I checked the area scouting I found 5 beds only 100 yards away. towards the end of the season I pushed the bigger bucks out of the bedding area. deer in summer don't travel very far if the don't have to a bucks core area is smaller than a doe during summer.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
KLEMZ
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 am

To you guys that run salt licks, are you having issues with other hunters messing with your cams or zeroing in on your potential hunting areas? The pawed out area on the forest floor is such an easy thing to spot and stays for a long time.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5165
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 am

KLEMZ wrote:To you guys that run salt licks, are you having issues with other hunters messing with your cams or zeroing in on your potential hunting areas? The pawed out area on the forest floor is such an easy thing to spot and stays for a long time.


Where I hunt I have never had a problem that I know of. Mainly because the other hunters don't venture far off the beaten path, and certainly wouldn't end up in the thick stuff where they can't see a country mile. If u are in a area with more knowledgable hunters there's a chance they will find it. But salt is cheap and I put out a lot, most turn out to be something I don't care for, but it has located some that I would not otherwise found.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
User avatar
Killtree
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:To you guys that run salt licks, are you having issues with other hunters messing with your cams or zeroing in on your potential hunting areas? The pawed out area on the forest floor is such an easy inthing to spot and stays for a long time.


Where I hunt I have never had a problem that I know of. Mainly because the other hunters don't venture far off the beaten path, and certainly wouldn't end up in the thick stuff where they can't see a country mile. If u are in a area with more knowledgable hunters there's a chance they will find it. But salt is cheap and I put out a lot, most turn out to be something I don't care for, but it has located some that I would not otherwise found.


I have never had a problem either, but I also put mine in oddball spots to.
:violence-bowandarrow:
User avatar
Ashreve93
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:44 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for all of the tips guys! I really like the idea of putting out some salt once their antlers get hard. I'm still finding the buck beds, so i don't have the convenience of tieing a bucks current location with a known bed. maybe in a few years. For now, I have the ability to shine on occasion and hoping if I ever see a nice buck, maybe I can locate his bed with maps and maybe some of that salt.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:To you guys that run salt licks, are you having issues with other hunters messing with your cams or zeroing in on your potential hunting areas? The pawed out area on the forest floor is such an easy thing to spot and stays for a long time.


Where I hunt I have never had a problem that I know of. Mainly because the other hunters don't venture far off the beaten path, and certainly wouldn't end up in the thick stuff where they can't see a country mile. If u are in a area with more knowledgable hunters there's a chance they will find it. But salt is cheap and I put out a lot, most turn out to be something I don't care for, but it has located some that I would not otherwise found.

i never have a problem most hunters don't scout in summer and i put my salt away from where most guys go i do hang my cameras 15 to 20 foot in air most time the only time i pull cameras is during gun season most bow hunters just sit in ladder stands over corn and don't even think about looking for sign buy me
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Ashreve93 wrote:Thanks for all of the tips guys! I really like the idea of putting out some salt once their antlers get hard. I'm still finding the buck beds, so i don't have the convenience of tieing a bucks current location with a known bed. maybe in a few years. For now, I have the ability to shine on occasion and hoping if I ever see a nice buck, maybe I can locate his bed with maps and maybe some of that salt.

salt is only good from may till late august it just shows you what bucks are in woods then its scouting knowledge for the rest it just gets rid of a lot of guessing you still need to do your homework but if you put it out in the right spot you will know ever buck in a 2 square mile area faster than shining in some areas. it also gets me a hit list so when I'm hunting a can decide weather hes a shooter or not way faster.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
tgreeno
500 Club
Posts: 4691
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

Salt...I might have to try this in May? I always struggle getting bucks on camera before the season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 am

ImageImageImage this is how i do it one 50lb trace mineral salt block then i get a garbage can and mix with shovel one 50 lb bag whole or cracked corn, one one 50 lb bag of water softener salt or ice cream salt one bag die cal phosphate one gallon of molasses i put about 20 pounds over the block every 2 or 3 weeks when i check camera the extra mix helps the deer locate it every deer digs the dirt full of molasses and creates a scent trail to the salt once they find the salt you can back off on the bait more deer will continue to use the salt for years and sometimes it becomes their new travel trail out of bedding even if they don't use salt it will draw them threw like a scrape.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 am

tgreeno wrote:Salt...I might have to try this in May? I always struggle getting bucks on camera before the season.

i bring in the salt blocks in January February in a sled in snow one 50 lb block will last the whole year then i bait it starting may and add bait if pic numbers drop off. its a lot of fun if you have kids too they love seeing all the pics and picking spots to put stations. my little one asks me every day go find deer?
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Summer Big Buck

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 am

ImageImagethis is the buck i killed this year if i didn't use salt i would have never zeroed in on him once the season started i only saw him once in October i killed him late November but i knew his core area. i shot him a quarter mile down the ridge. I got to take my daughter with to check the camera in summer and had hundreds of pics and priceless time with my little girl.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theAdmiral, tn-bear and 13 guests