Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

https://huntthefront.blog/videos/

In this video I go through my process of checking the weather before my hunt using weather models, as well as discuss some basic characteristics of weather.


User avatar
Zona1
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:04 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Zona1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:56 am

Thanks for the video! I started paying closer attention to temperature/ barometric pressure relationships this year and the results were pretty consistent. A drop in temperature combined with a high pressure event produced more daytime activity.
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Zona1 wrote:Thanks for the video! I started paying closer attention to temperature/ barometric pressure relationships this year and the results were pretty consistent. A drop in temperature combined with a high pressure event produced more daytime activity.


Sure thing! I would agree!
User avatar
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm

I monitor the weather daily even when I'm camping in the bush I listen to the weather radio.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
User avatar
Lu Rome
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:30 pm
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:49 am

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details around those models. I love following the weather, but have no clue when it comes to the models.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Lu Rome wrote:Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details around those models. I love following the weather, but have no clue when it comes to the models.


Absolutely! If there's interest I may do another video about the ins and outs of each model instead of just talking about using them for hunting. That information would be useful to someone serious about looking at the weather this way for their hunts.
User avatar
Rob loper
500 Club
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 am

Im constantly looking at my weather apps on my phone
I use to just watch over and over a channel our cable company comcast had called weatherscan it was continious up to the minute weather wind barometric pressure tides. Which im probably gonna have to watch cause i hunt some tidal marshes
it had moon phases too
But for some idiotic reason they all of a sudden got rid of it.
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Im constantly looking at my weather apps on my phone
I use to just watch over and over a channel our cable company comcast had called weatherscan it was continious up to the minute weather wind barometric pressure tides. Which im probably gonna have to watch cause i hunt some tidal marshes
it had moon phases too
But for some idiotic reason they all of a sudden got rid of it.


Just don't use the one that comes on the iPhone lol. One meteorologist's head explodes every time someone opens it
User avatar
Rob loper
500 Club
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 pm

weatherdude wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Im constantly looking at my weather apps on my phone
I use to just watch over and over a channel our cable company comcast had called weatherscan it was continious up to the minute weather wind barometric pressure tides. Which im probably gonna have to watch cause i hunt some tidal marshes
it had moon phases too
But for some idiotic reason they all of a sudden got rid of it.


Just don't use the one that comes on the iPhone lol. One meteorologist's head explodes every time someone opens it

Ok i will remember that lol
User avatar
Lu Rome
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:30 pm
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Lu Rome » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 am

weatherdude wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details around those models. I love following the weather, but have no clue when it comes to the models.


Absolutely! If there's interest I may do another video about the ins and outs of each model instead of just talking about using them for hunting. That information would be useful to someone serious about looking at the weather this way for their hunts.

I'm interested in it for all sorts of reasons in addition to hunting. I live in a part of the world where the weather is more important news than the news. That upbringing has cultivated an inner weather nerd that just needs to be taught how to be a nerd....

Any suggestions on places to go to learn more about weather/forecasting etc? Other than back to college...had a meteorology class in undergrad, always wished we would have had more than just a 101 class.

Thanks!
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
User avatar
Dpierce72
500 Club
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm
Location: Arkansas (NEA)
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 am

Spent a little time reviewing. I'm not a one and done. It'll take me a while, but I can say this, being able to evaluate when the 'loop' option is selected takes some skill. I just got sick watching it.

I do hear my weather man refer to some of these models but I always assumed they were special sites reserved for professionals. It's very cool to see what we have access to ...if only I can learn to use it correctly.

Again, thanks for the education!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Lu Rome wrote:
weatherdude wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details around those models. I love following the weather, but have no clue when it comes to the models.


Absolutely! If there's interest I may do another video about the ins and outs of each model instead of just talking about using them for hunting. That information would be useful to someone serious about looking at the weather this way for their hunts.

I'm interested in it for all sorts of reasons in addition to hunting. I live in a part of the world where the weather is more important news than the news. That upbringing has cultivated an inner weather nerd that just needs to be taught how to be a nerd....

Any suggestions on places to go to learn more about weather/forecasting etc? Other than back to college...had a meteorology class in undergrad, always wished we would have had more than just a 101 class.

Thanks!


I don't want to plug my site but I have a page on HTF called "Weather Tools" that's very useful for just looking at conditions and the forecast in general. I would say if you want to learn just some basics about the science itself you can go to www.theweatherprediction.com and you will find a ton of material there. You can find the links on my page at https://huntthefront.blog/weather-tools/. Good luck and let me know if you would like more info!
User avatar
weatherdude
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:Spent a little time reviewing. I'm not a one and done. It'll take me a while, but I can say this, being able to evaluate when the 'loop' option is selected takes some skill. I just got sick watching it.

I do hear my weather man refer to some of these models but I always assumed they were special sites reserved for professionals. It's very cool to see what we have access to ...if only I can learn to use it correctly.

Again, thanks for the education!


Sure thing Doug. Like I said I'll probably do another video soon talking specifically about the models and how to use them in general, not just for hunting. Hopefully that will help! Look for that on the forum in the next couple weeks
User avatar
Lu Rome
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:30 pm
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline

Re: Using Weather Models to Plan a Hunt

Unread postby Lu Rome » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

weatherdude wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:
weatherdude wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details around those models. I love following the weather, but have no clue when it comes to the models.


Absolutely! If there's interest I may do another video about the ins and outs of each model instead of just talking about using them for hunting. That information would be useful to someone serious about looking at the weather this way for their hunts.

I'm interested in it for all sorts of reasons in addition to hunting. I live in a part of the world where the weather is more important news than the news. That upbringing has cultivated an inner weather nerd that just needs to be taught how to be a nerd....

Any suggestions on places to go to learn more about weather/forecasting etc? Other than back to college...had a meteorology class in undergrad, always wished we would have had more than just a 101 class.

Thanks!


I don't want to plug my site but I have a page on HTF called "Weather Tools" that's very useful for just looking at conditions and the forecast in general. I would say if you want to learn just some basics about the science itself you can go to http://www.theweatherprediction.com and you will find a ton of material there. You can find the links on my page at https://huntthefront.blog/weather-tools/. Good luck and let me know if you would like more info!

I'll have to look at the weather prediction site, looks like a lot of info. I've looked at yours. Good stuff, keep up the great work!
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Horizontal Hunter, john1984, mipubbucks24 and 15 guests