Podcast With Beast Member

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Podcast With Beast Member

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Great podcast, nice to see a fellow die hard pa public land guy getting it done!

Truth From The Stand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/

Unread postby Truth From The Stand » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
Truth From The Stand wrote:Thanks for checking it out fellas.

Question, I’d like to bring on more beast members form different states. Anyone have suggestions? Shoot me the name and state and I’ll try to get em on! I’d like to get someone on from Maryland and Illinois??

Too many guys that are good at what they do on here but ill try rattle off a few been hoping to hear from before. Im little biased bc iv talked w a few.

Mainebowhunter
MOBigBucks
Bowhunter4life
JoeRE
Muddy
Jackson Marsh
PK
Dewey
Stanley
Jeff G
Lockdown
BigHunt
Cbigbear
Bowhunter15
Dave1963
Sam Ubl
Greg Litzinger

I can keep going :D

Thanks man! I've had Greg Litzinger on...Podcast 23. Good dude, we spent some time at the range together and he shared a few form tips...way more consistent now.
Truth From The Stand Deer Hunting Podcast—http://truthfromthestand.com/

Facebook—https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Maryland... one guy comes to mind

Moondoondude !!
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 am

Phade... about trail cameras.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 am

Truth From The Stand wrote:Thanks man! I've had Greg Litzinger on...Podcast 23. Good dude, we spent some time at the range together and he shared a few form tips...way more consistent now.

Yeah I know, just really enjoy his stuff and the mountain tactics are a great topic. Great job w the Mike podcast though! :clap: It was a fun listen. Sorry I turned the threads direction a bit... Im sure Dan and Mario will have some of these guys on this off season or already have but there are plenty of great hunters on here to choose from. There are even a few new guys that I think would be interesting...
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys glad you enjoyed it.
Persistence pays!!!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 am

I think jeff g would be a great one to do he was a great while out on my one on one days with dan. He went with me and dan on saturday most of the day and pointed out and explained many different things. Very very knowledgeable and im sure could do a great interview.
Also a great guy. We had a blast
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:07 am

Mike Perry is the man! Great job guys. Anyone on that list I would be all ears!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:53 am

The top three on that list would be awesome!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:24 pm

I enjoyed listening to it.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 am

MikePerry wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys glad you enjoyed it.

Excellent podcast Mike.

I got a couple questions about your water access if u don't mind.
1. Do you hunt in your waders or bring a change of boots?
2. Are waders more for access by water to avoid disturbing ground scent, or do you target areas where you have to cross water no matter what?
3. What depth of water do you typically wade through and what do you avoid for safety concerns?
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 am

Josh_S wrote:

Excellent podcast Mike.

2. Are waders more for access by water to avoid disturbing ground scent, or do you target areas where you have to cross water no matter what?
3. What depth of water do you typically wade through and what do you avoid for safety concerns?
Persistence pays!!!
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 am

MikePerry wrote:
Josh_S wrote:

Excellent podcast Mike.

I usually wear hip waders my whole hunt, especially if the water I’m crossing is shallow enough that it does not require me to wear chest waders and if that water is far from where I park. If I’m crossing deeper water that requires chest waders and it’s not to far from where I park I’ll either strap my alpha burley or my hip waders to the top of my stand and leave the chest waders where I cross the creek till I get back. I have worn insulated chest waders on occasion on all day sits if that’s what I have to do because the creek is high to get to where I want to be.

I usually target areas where I have to cross water no matter what.

Most of the creeks or rivers I’m crossing are knee high or slightly higher when the creeks are at normal or average depth, some years we get a lot of rain in early November and I have to wear chest waders to get across. If the water is running to fast and to high obviously I cannot hunt that area in fear of getting swept down the creek. Some creeks go down quicker than others.

I have a few setups where I have to wade down the edge of a swamp to get to my tree to avoid walking down trails, I learned the hard way to make sure this is possiable before the season comes in, nothing worse than a hip wader full of water at 6 am. Also remember to move very slow, two years ago I lost my balance doing this with my stand on my back with a backpack strapped to it with most of my cloth in it along with food and drink for a all day sit, the weight of my stand and pack sent me head long into the water in the dark, I was soaked and it was in the high 30’s and raining, I stuck it out till noon and got out of there, I had a camera on the funnel I was hunting and a big 9 I was hunting came through at 4pm within easy shooting distance. I was no longer there, that haunted me the rest of the season!
Persistence pays!!!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 am

MikePerry wrote:
I usually wear hip waders my whole hunt, especially if the water I’m crossing is shallow enough that it does not require me to wear chest waders and if that water is far from where I park. If I’m crossing deeper water that requires chest waders and it’s not to far from where I park I’ll either strap my alpha burley or my hip waders to the top of my stand and leave the chest waders where I cross the creek till I get back. I have worn insulated chest waders on occasion on all day sits if that’s what I have to do because the creek is high to get to where I want to be.

Most of the creeks or rivers I’m crossing are knee high or slightly higher when the creeks are at normal or average depth, some years we get a lot of rain in early November and I have to wear chest waders to get across. If the water is running to fast and to high obviously I cannot hunt that area in fear of getting swept down the creek. Some creeks go down quicker than others.

I have a few setups where I have to wade down the edge of a swamp to get to my tree to avoid walking down trails, I learned the hard way to make sure this is possiable before the season comes in, nothing worse than a hip wader full of water at 6 am. Also remember to move very slow, two years ago I lost my balance doing this with my stand on my back with a backpack strapped to it with most of my cloth in it along with food and drink for a all day sit, the weight of my stand and pack sent me head long into the water in the dark, I was soaked and it was in the high 30’s and raining, I stuck it out till noon and got out of there, I had a camera on the funnel I was hunting and a big 9 I was hunting came through at 4pm within easy shooting distance. I was no longer there, that haunted me the rest of the season!

Thanks for all the info Mike. I need to cross more water on a couple of the publics I hunt. I've been much too lazy. And you're an animal for sticking it out till noon soaking wet in those conditions. I'd've gone home right away haha. Too bad that buck came through, but that's an awesome story.

Cheers
alfsisaiah

Unread postby alfsisaiah » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am

Babshaft wrote:
MikePerry wrote:

Thanks for all the info Mike. I need to cross more water on a couple of the publics I hunt. I've been much too lazy. And you're an animal for sticking it out till noon soaking wet in those conditions. I'd've gone home right away haha. Too bad that buck came through, but that's an awesome story.

Cheers

If your unfamiliar with an area and what to look for in water depth definitely recommend going in for an evening sit first. Glaring light in the dark early morning can make it difficult to judge water depth. Look for crossings in s curves by high banks. Walking at a slight angle following the flow of a current along the bend in an s curve is usually shallowest point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”