2018 treestand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

2018 treestand

Unread postby OHBB24 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Im in no rush but wanted to pick your brains regarding your stands. I'm interested in saddle hunting but have never tried. I imagine 5 lone wolf sticks could get me up where I need to be. Are there any saddle hunters on here.

I'm also very interested in Dan's new set up and like the idea of the weight. Just looking for some pros and cons or steering for why u would choose one or two other.

I've always had fixed stands in set locations when I travel home to hunt. I feel like a mobile set up is ideal for my properties. My goal would be to save $ in the long run and quit buying junk stands...

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: 2018 treestand

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm

There is a few of us im a first year saddle hunter
imo i like both saddle and stand saddle is better on my back and i use it when im going a long long eay. But i love my stand too and am going to use it alot
Its just a preference
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 pm

A lot of guys on here use a saddle. I primarily use a saddle with a mix of pre set cheap hang ons. For my style I like the one stick climbing method, it's quick, easy and I don't have the weight of all the other sticks. But every situation is diff and there is always a need for a mobile hang on.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm

I've had two spinal fusion and continue to deal with back pain, that's my main interest in using a saddle. Is it a strong learning curve? Do u have a link to the one step method?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm

OHBB24 wrote:I've had two spinal fusion and continue to deal with back pain, that's my main interest in using a saddle. Is it a strong learning curve? Do u have a link to the one step method?

I don't have the link but it's on you tube! Not much of a learning curve just trusting the tether strap. Practicing in your back yard leaning and shooting will remove any concerns. I actually shoot a lot better out of one for some reason, I never asked anyone about there shooting accuracy so it might just be me. Also on the one stick method a double step is a lot easier
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 pm

OHBB24 wrote:I've had two spinal fusion and continue to deal with back pain, that's my main interest in using a saddle. Is it a strong learning curve? Do u have a link to the one step method?

Hunting out of a saddle is very easy to learn and having back issues myself I find saddle hunting to be a much more comfortable option than a hang on or climbing stand. Since using my Kestrel I experienced zero back pain while in a tree for the first time in over 20 years.

Some type of small platform makes saddle hunting much easier. I use an XOP seat platform strapped on the tree.

As far as climbing goes I used 3-4 sticks with aiders. A three step on the bottom stick and single aiders on the rest. 3 sticks gets me to 20 feet and I rarely use the fourth stick. I haven’t tried the one stick method yet but trying it before next season.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:48 pm

I think the guys name who does the one step method is diy sportsman garret is his name i think He a great dude. Hes on you tube he does a one stick method amongst many other things
Garret is very knowledgeable about all the gadgets and gear for hunting. He also is a what i call a switch hanger
Like me we both use a saddle snd a stand but totaly mobile
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 pm

A stand and sticks will be as versatile, and probably more than a saddle. With a saddle you want to have a straight section of tree with no lean otherwise it will make hunting out of it hard. Haven’t found a tree I can’t get my stand in.

Dans stand and sticks are built to be his ultimate mobile set up. Not a recliner in the sky. Yes it will be light but I’m expecting the same comfort as a lone wolf. Nothing great but doable.

If you have back problems, I’d say a saddle is the way to go for you once you master the learning curve. Personally the stand does everything I want, and I feel safe in the air with it, so that’s what I’m sticking with
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 am

I’ve never tried a saddle but I have tried a lot of hangons. That being said i have lower back problems and when it comes to sitting comfortably I chose the millennium . Slightly heavier than the lone wolf but I can sit all day in it . I can get it into 98 % of the trees. Only thing it lacks is a self leverler for crooked trees . But that doesn’t stop me most of the time . But hope you find what you’re looking for ! Good luck .
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 am

Here’s the aforementioned one stick video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlGkTd82eM

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”