Just how I see it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Just how I see it

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Some of you may not believe me, but I have been thinking about this since the season ended.

I would rather "put in the work" doing all it takes, busting my but, trying to kill a mature buck on public land. And end up deerless, as I did this year. Than to pay an outfitter, and possibly harvest a booner buck. That I had very little input in locating & scouting. Because the outfitter, "set me up" in the right stand.

Many guys "buy" their bucks every year. And I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I wouldn't get any satisfaction in being dropped off at an enclosed blind and shooting a buck I didn't scout over a food plot. Sorry that's just me.

Now I'm not talking about guys, who are putting in the work and creating good hunting habitat on their own lands. Scouting those bucks, and killing them there-selves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
OldMtnMan

Re: Just how I see it

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 pm

I've always felt that way. I won't talk about tree stands or bait (natural or not). You'd really hate me.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

I talked to a family friend the other day and found out his family owns 1,000 acres in the best part of my state and I didn’t even care to ask more or try to get an invite.

Public land is just in my blood at this point.

I don’t look down at all on anyone that hunts private or goes with outfitter. At this point it just isn’t for me.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm

I agree and I think most of the guys on this site would agree also.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

PK_ wrote:I talked to a family friend the other day and found out his family owns 1,000 acres in the best part of my state and I didn’t even care to ask more or try to get an invite.

I don’t look down at all on anyone that hunts private or goes with outfitter. At this point it just isn’t for me.

Ask them if I can come hunt Osceola turkeys... I'll have stands set for you when you draw an Iowa tag.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Nothing wrong with thinking that way. To me I honestly just worry about myself and what I’m doing. I could care less if the next guy is using an outfitter, or baiting, or whatever. ;)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

I think they have more money than time. I only hunted once with an outfitter. It was for caribou in Newfoundland 15 years ago. Easy hunting but expensive. Great memory. Don’t think I could do it for Whitetail but other species I would again.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 pm

muddy wrote:
PK_ wrote:I talked to a family friend the other day and found out his family owns 1,000 acres in the best part of my state and I didn’t even care to ask more or try to get an invite.

Ask them if I can come hunt Osceola turkeys... I'll have stands set for you when you draw an Iowa tag.

It is too far north. Easterns up there.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm

just something about that feeling of putting in all that hard work for the best buck your area holds and making your goals or learning from your mistakes that's priceless to me. I wouldn't trade one public land buck for a 200 in buck from an outfitter. it just does not have that connection and when I eat the flesh from that animal his memory's become part of me.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I look at it differently, I think if a guy is doing the work,scouting, and hunting hard, that's great because he is doing the work and earned it. But if a guy is doing the work to save up money or Woking hard at his job to pay for a guided hunt that he wants to do.I tell you what I'd give him a high five and two thumbs up. ya it may be hunting in a blind or on some fancy land, but you know what he worked for it. Nothing is more rewarding than getting something you want working for it. Every situation is different.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

PK_ wrote:
muddy wrote:

It is too far north. Easterns up there.

Boo.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:28 pm

I don't even attempt to draw or buy points for Iowa. Just public land in the bigwoods keeps me plenty busy, some day I'd like to hit some new ground but I would probably do the over the counter stuff.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 pm

bkraus wrote:I look at it differently, I think if a guy is doing the work,scouting, and hunting hard, that's great because he is doing the work and earned it. But if a guy is doing the work to save up money or Woking hard at his job to pay for a guided hunt that he wants to do.I tell you what I'd give him a high five and two thumbs up. ya it may be hunting in a blind or on some fancy land, but you know what he worked for it. Nothing is more rewarding than getting something you want working for it. Every situation is different.

I agree 110%. A buddy of mine works his tail off all year long and then hunts 4 or 5 states with outfitters and shoots a few nice ones every year. He is happy as heck and that's all that matters and he never tries to pass them off as what they're not. To him deer hunting vacation is just that... vacation.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:05 pm

I think its why we all are here
I agree totaly. After this season im giving up my lease snd sticking too public land only. Ive learned here how to put the work in and what to work on. And im mire excited about hunting than ive ever been. Its like being taught all over again with confidence
Not interested at all in the big money hunts. Im putting my dollars where ifs gonna teach me to do what must be done to be successful
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Not my cup of tea, but to each their own. One thing the outfitter can't do is take the shot for them. So they at least deserve some credit for that when successful. Some people have lives that are short on time and long on money. At least they're out hunting and not at an antihunting rally. I just don't want them telling me how great of a hunter they are. When in actuality they're more of a shooter.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”